Hi.
Been looking for some amps lately. I was supposed to get a cheap tube combo.

But then a few week's ago i got this killer bargain for a custom 412 Celestion Vintage 30 filled cab. This is a 8 Ohm / 2x16 Ohm cab.

Been looking for a cheap head, and i found this Marshall AVT 50 head(i am poor, low income). I once ran a AVT20 into a 1960 head and found it good enough for me.

But the head is 4 ohm...How does this work?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
You can run a lower ohm head into a higher ohm cabinet. Not the other way around though.
^People say that but I personally would feel much more comfortable knowing that my ohms match up, but that might jsut be me.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Should work. Are you sure it only runs at 4 ohms though? That's pretty weird for a guitar amp...
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Should work. Are you sure it only runs at 4 ohms though? That's pretty weird for a guitar amp...

marshallamps says so. The combo versions are 8 ohm, but the head is set to 4

It says so in the manual: Marshall AVT 50 manual
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Doesn't matter much with the ATV being that it's essentially a SS amp. It will reduce the output power of the amp a little bit, but it won't hurt anything. Run it into the mono 8 ohm jack for best results.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Doesn't matter much with the ATV being that it's essentially a SS amp. It will reduce the output power of the amp a little bit, but it won't hurt anything. Run it into the mono 8 ohm jack for best results.

But i want to use the amp at it's best.

If you have the time:

if you could look at amps on Thomann.de for under 500Eur. what would you recommend? (head)
Quote by slatsmania
What kind of music are you playing? A quick look shows the Peavey Windsor, Valveking, or for a little more the Randall RH-50. They'd all be better than the ATV.

You might even consider the Orange Tiny Terror if you don't need too much power.

I play in a Thrash Metal band (example: early metallica). Currently i use a VOX AD30VT. The sound is so "numetal", but it works. Not for the volume tho. But don't get me wrong, I dont need LOADS of gain.

I'm probably asking for much. Have been looking for used Plexi's or tube Marshall's, but they are hard to get in Norway.

Ad for the windsor: I have tried that amp. My main concern is the lack of a good way to switch between the cleans and the gains without sacrifising enough gain or clean cleans. It also have to many ****ty knobs compared to its advisory: JCM800.

The Valveking i've never tried, but have the feeling that it wont do for Old thrashy stuff since its so Heavy American Metal voiced (through what i've heard on youtube ect) Though its known to be very, very awesome.
The Windsor and a pedal? What kind of cleans are you really looking for in a thrash metal band? The VK isn't extremely high gain, either. On a budget, it's probably the best you're gonna do for a gigging thrash amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Windsor and a pedal? What kind of cleans are you really looking for in a thrash metal band? The VK isn't extremely high gain, either. On a budget, it's probably the best you're gonna do for a gigging thrash amp.

I also play some clean rythm stuff. In general i need to build up my clean skills a bit. The clean on the vox is all but satisfactionary unless i pull the coil tap.

I have been lookin so long for an amp. And there are many good alternatives, but i guess i should trust you.

If there was a way i could use two amps on the same cab (and quickly shift on stage), then i guess I could buy a cheap amp for cleans and get the windsor.
Quote by perkristian876
If there was a way i could use two amps on the same cab (and quickly shift on stage), then i guess I could buy a cheap amp for cleans and get the windsor.

You could do that by using the the two 16 ohm inputs in the cab. Plug the Windsor into one and your clean amp into the other and use an a/b/y box to switch between the two.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.