I got ZOOM G1 effects pedal, and i really like it. It has 39 presets, and 39 extra slots that you can customize. It has all types of distortion, and delay, effects, auto wah, reverb, and many more. I have never really used any other pedal, (besides a DOD Distortion Pedal), but it seems like spending 100 bucks on a pedal with only 3 types of delay is a waste of money, cause the Zoom was only $59 . Am i missing something?
Hello
having a seperate pedal for each effect will sound a lot better than one multi-effects unit, though some of the better multi-effects are good
Separate pedals generally sound better.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

i as well have the zoom g1 its alright but it took me a while to get some good distortion of it. i think its a great pedal for what its priced and to be honest i think its a waste of time to buy seperate pedals:P
No. Buying multis are a waste of money- multiFX pedals are generally not true bypass, of any quality to write home about and are a quick fix for people who just want a load of effects to learn what they do.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I like each pedal to be separate, it seems to make life easier. But multi effects are definitely nice for the amount of effects for the price.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Yeah, I'm not saying that i wont buy separate pedals, cause will, I was just wondering why mulitFX pedals were so cheap for all that you get. I think that they are fun to mess around with, and help with deciding what individual pedal you will buy next.

I will probably get a looper next!
Hello
Multi effects are generally worse quality for each sound you get than separate pedals
Sure you get lots of effects, but it will not do any of them especially well when compared to single effect pedals
Quote by Cobalt Blue
it depends, some multi's are hard to use, and single effects tend to sound better.

agreed....In my experiance single effect sound much better, even if I could find a good multi-effects unit I probably still wouldn't use it for the simple fact that they're a bitch to use. I have the digitech RP250 and it's a bitch to use, I was thinkin about donating it to my alma maters guitar class but then I realized I can record basslines for my bass player without the aid of a bass guitar, and the drum machine on it isn't too bad.
Last edited by david_highland at Feb 5, 2008,
Personally, since I only really use 2 types of distortion, and chorus/delay live, a Boss ME 50 is pretty well suited to me, but if you are using LOTS of effects, maybe multis are the way to go?
My line6 podxt Live sounds great i think,

but there is nothing lik eletting the guitar and amp do some of the work with the aid of a few pedals... sounds more organic
i personally dont enjoy any of those all in one setups, i prefer to know exactly what ive got, how to use it, etc.

plus im picky when it comes to effects, so i dont think theres an all in one around that can get every sound im looking for
You have more control over your tone using separate pedals
I used to have a korg mulit FX pedal, and i despised it, i'd much rather have a huge pedal board thats cost me £1000 and have the perfect tones i want than a £200 multi FX pedal that just sounds like everybody else
Its all about personal preference, if you want to be unique, multi FX pedals are not the way to go
For practising, and jamming, and going no further, then buy multi FX
I would personally never advise anyone to buy one thought
When you really try single effects pedals, you'll get it. Been there, done that.
Another advantage of single pedals is that, if you decide you don't like a particular effect, you just remove it from your chain or swap it out. With a multi-FX box, you are stuck with their particular array of effects.

I think multi-FX are fine for home practice, beginners who want a sample of effects to learn how to use them, and giggers who don't need to nail particular tones/effects exactly.
for a long time i only used an old MXR Distortion, a Danelectro Chorus and a DOD equalizer to play.

then one day some dude at Guitar Center talked me into getting a credit card and spending $500 i didnt have. He was trying to sell me a guitar, but i got a GNX4 Workstation instead and in my opinion its way better than many seperate pedals, as they all run off one power source so theres no chance of one being weaker than another and you can set them all easily in one place.

i should probably pay that thing off soon..
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
One drawback about effect processing units is that they typically "model" effects. Secondly digital effects sound different than the analogue effects that they try to emulate. I personally have a POD Xt Live and I love the thing for playing around, getting ideas, and even in recording applications when I like to do parts "direct", however when playing live or jamming I prefer the stomp boxes in my pedal board. I kind of think of it as having a Swiss Army knife versus having a damn good knife, some scissors, and a real saw.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I like my BOSS GT-6 better than my singles, makes better sound. + there's tons of different distortions and an EQ on it to make any sound you want. Having more than 1 single effect pedal is just a pain in the ass. Why do that when you can have all the sound you want coming out of your mult-effect pedal?

Multi-Effects > Single Effects
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
Ultimately it's going to come down to getting the sound you want. There are a lot of guys that play through digital rack mountable units, floor processors, etc. So your question asking if "buying pedals is a waste of time and money?" is only a question you can answer. I have THOUSANDS invested in my gear, and I don't think any of it was a waste.. All of it is good for adding something...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by klb93
I like my BOSS GT-6 better than my singles, makes better sound. + there's tons of different distortions and an EQ on it to make any sound you want. Having more than 1 single effect pedal is just a pain in the ass. Why do that when you can have all the sound you want coming out of your mult-effect pedal?

Multi-Effects > Single Effects

If that 10w in your sig is your only amp that might explain it.....I prefer single effects just because I like to have everything separated....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls