yes the n is a typo
::type !prepare for great wall of text!
okay so once upon time i did this crappy 'which personality disorder are you' test i just took it coz i thought it would be a laugh, i took it and it said i had Avoidant personality disorder, i didnt take it seriously and thought it was exagerating a bit.
but recently i looked at the symptoms, i fit pretty much everyone
http://
anyway

recently i've found it extremely difficult to approach new people, even if their just friends of one of my friends, seriously im only likely to talk to anyone new if they talk to me first and even then we will have a very short conversation. **** i havnt even had a girlfriend in my life because of this. I cant even talk to my friends that well. ususally if they come round ill stick a dvd on or ask them to play on the xbox with me just so we dont go into one of those awkward silences and get bored.also i only seem to be able to talk to people on the internet, but no real long conversations again. would any of you give any advice/tips or give me an opinion if i do have this disorder

and anyone who has AvPD or anyone who thinks they have discuss too
yea...your a teenager. we all feel like it. one day youll wake up with one of 2 things:confidence or a **** you attitude.
ya i could describe myself the same way. just because its a disorder doesnt mean its serious though.
Did all this start happening after you learned about Avoidant Personality Disorder? Or was it always like this?

Maybe you're just making it up in your head to explain what is happening. It's best to determine if you have mental disorders by talking to a professional, like a school counselor or trusted adult, instead of a random quiz that you did on the internet just for laughs.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I was diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder...

Fact is I was also diagnosed with Clinical Depression but didnt take the meds and recovered. I wasnt clincally depressed in the first place... Being depressed usually happens when women cheat on you and have other mens babies...

Do not respect the proffession of psychology at all. There is a disorder for everything now...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by slann101
yea...your a teenager. we all feel like it. one day youll wake up with one of 2 things:confidence or a **** you attitude.

I think I love you.

In a man to man way of course.
i'm the same way but hey we're teens and every teen probably feels that way.
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Like someone else said before me, you're probably just shy, plus these quizzes are only for fun. Don't worry about it too much you'll soon discover you can actually talk to people quite easily when you get older. I was a bit like you before and now I talk to like... everyone, haha. So anyways just give yourself time to grow and you'll figure it out along the way :]
so... link to the quiz, plz!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Guitardude19
Do not respect the proffession of psychology at all. There is a disorder for everything now...

Not every psychologist is involved in publishing the DSM (which is where all these fancy terms come from.) Your lack of respect is unwarranted, and as in every profession, there are a wide variety of people with different opinions and methods.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
i think you just described me...
but thankfully there seems to be others. that makes me feel better

hug? ne one?
You are now blinking manually
Quote by Guitardude19

Fact is I was also diagnosed with Clinical Depression but didnt take the meds and recovered. I wasnt clincally depressed in the first place... Being depressed usually happens when women cheat on you and have other mens babies...

Did that happen to you too?
Quote by E V H 5150
Did all this start happening after you learned about Avoidant Personality Disorder? Or was it always like this?

Maybe you're just making it up in your head to explain what is happening. It's best to determine if you have mental disorders by talking to a professional, like a school counselor or trusted adult, instead of a random quiz that you did on the internet just for laughs.

dunno mixed really at first i was always ver shy and VERY sensitive to critism and rejection, it might have just been me being a mardy little kid(im talking about when i was about 7-11 here) but whenever my friend said something wrong or decide theyd keep running away from me (as immature school kids do) id always being extremely upset and fall out with them straight the way. but when i was 12-13 i was all over a sudden confident.................over confident even but now at the age of 14 im as shy and sensitive as ever. its even worse now i there are lots of girls i like the look of, even though i crave for a good loving long lasting relationship, i can never talk to a girl or find out what their like, now that might just be shyness, but no one else i know is as shy as i am really. of theres deffinatly someone shyer than me out there just none i know of. and also trust me the test was pretty stupid and got a load of things wrong, i found out when someone suggested i might have something like this so i checked it out and i sorta matched the symptoms sadly. though the person who told me wasnt a Doctor so i still have my doubts which is why i want a second opinion hopefully i've answered most of your questions with that lecture.
Quote by Keyphur
i think you just described me...
but thankfully there seems to be others. that makes me feel better

hug? ne one?

*avoids you*
You should check the DMS-IV... Chances are you don't fit the criteria.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
also i did the quiz yonks (old word ) ago
i think it was on a thread on Blackmetaluk or something, it was a pretty crappy test anyway coz accordingly most people who took it have a personality disorder which i think is bull****
Quote by david_highland
Did that happen to you too?

My ex did cheat on me and have another mans baby, yes.

Quote by sSyLc
Not every psychologist is involved in publishing the DSM (which is where all these fancy terms come from.) Your lack of respect is unwarranted, and as in every profession, there are a wide variety of people with different opinions and methods.

Dude dont take me so seriously, come on. As a chemistry student it is gospel that I rip on the psychologists, sociologists and biologists (wanna be chemists)...

If I offended you, I apologise.
Quote by Guitardude19
My ex did cheat on me and have another mans baby, yes.

****y, maybe we should start a club...
Quote by Guitardude19

Well of course you're not going to respect the proffession of psychology at all if you know nothing about it. Read about Rosenhan's study on mental institutions to find out that there are two sides of Psychology and not all Psychologists think that labelling people is a good thing. There's the idea idea that there are classifications which some Psychologists label people with to describe certain symptoms, and there's judging people by their behaviour and not throwing them into a category and looking for ways to justify their label. Some Psychologists (like Rosenhan) believe that "mental illnesses don't exist".

I personally recon that you don't have Avoidant Personality Disorder. If someone tells you that a certain person is gay or whatever, then you will find a way to interpret everything that they do as being a sign of them being gay. If you were asked to simply say what's abnormal about them (if you consider being gay to be abnormal) then you probably wouldn't come to the same conclusion though.

Quote by sSyLc

Oh yeah! This guy clearly knows what he's talking about, kudos to you good sir, kudos!

Anyway, TS, it sounds to me that you're just a shy person, I wouldn't worry seriously about it. If you want to change then maybe find some stuff on boosting your confidence...and if you want your confidence to go through the roof you could always join the seduction community or try fronting a band.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by slann101
one day youll wake up with one of 2 things:confidence or a **** you attitude.

i'm not sure about it happening overnight. to the OP, i would suggest working on your shyness. try to make a comment or joke to random people that you come into contact with. The teller at the bank, the person bagging your groceries, in the elevator, standing next to you in line, etc. Just keep in mind that even if you say something awkward, you may not see them ever again, so its no big loss, chalk it up to experience. start small like this and work your way up to conversations.
Quote by Guitardude19
Dude dont take me so seriously, come on. As a chemistry student it is gospel that I rip on the psychologists, sociologists and biologists (wanna be chemists)...

If I offended you, I apologise.

I'm glad you weren't serious, but if I took you that way, someone with less knowledge on the subject might have said "Yeah, he's right! I'd rather suffer than go see a shrink to help me solve my psychological issues!"
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Well of course you're not going to respect the proffession of psychology at all if you know nothing about it. Read about Rosenhan's study on mental institutions to find out that there are two sides of Psychology and not all Psychologists think that labelling people is a good thing. There's the idea idea that there are classifications which some Psychologists label people with to describe certain symptoms, and there's judging people by their behaviour and not throwing them into a category and looking for ways to justify their label. Some Psychologists (like Rosenhan) believe that "mental illnesses don't exist".

I personally recon that you don't have Avoidant Personality Disorder. If someone tells you that a certain person is gay or whatever, then you will find a way to interpret everything that they do as being a sign of them being gay. If you were asked to simply say what's abnormal about them (if you consider being gay to be abnormal) then you probably wouldn't come to the same conclusion though.

Dude, I read my next post down. I was only joking about. Dont get so uptight. I do in fact respect the proffession. I already explained, anyway all you need to do is read my next post down from my first post.

Chill lol.

Quote by sSyLc
I'm glad you weren't serious, but if I took you that way, someone with less knowledge on the subject might have said "Yeah, he's right! I'd rather suffer than go see a shrink to help me solve my psychological issues!"

Yes I can see your point here, but I do hope that people can see not to take me seriously.
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by Guitardude19
Dude, I read my next post down. I was only joking about. Dont get so uptight. I do in fact respect the proffession. I already explained, anyway all you need to do is read my next post down from my first post.

Chill lol.

Yes I can see your point here, but I do hope that people can see not to take me seriously.

Hehe, well it didn't really look like you were joking when you said that you didn't respect the proffession at all but that was cool of you for making it clear and apologizing, cheers!
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Hehe, well it didn't really look like you were joking when you said that you didn't respect the proffession at all but that was cool of you for making it clear and apologizing, cheers!

Yea I know I re read my post and I was realised I didnt make it obvious enough. I typed what I would have said to my psycology student mates, but totally forgot this is the internet so you cant see my face...

My bad. No dis respect meant.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
yes the n is a typo
::type !prepare for great wall of text!
okay so once upon time i did this crappy 'which personality disorder are you' test i just took it coz i thought it would be a laugh, i took it and it said i had Avoidant personality disorder, i didnt take it seriously and thought it was exagerating a bit.
but recently i looked at the symptoms, i fit pretty much everyone
http://
anyway

recently i've found it extremely difficult to approach new people, even if their just friends of one of my friends, seriously im only likely to talk to anyone new if they talk to me first and even then we will have a very short conversation. **** i havnt even had a girlfriend in my life because of this. I cant even talk to my friends that well. ususally if they come round ill stick a dvd on or ask them to play on the xbox with me just so we dont go into one of those awkward silences and get bored.also i only seem to be able to talk to people on the internet, but no real long conversations again. would any of you give any advice/tips or give me an opinion if i do have this disorder

and anyone who has AvPD or anyone who thinks they have discuss too

cant be arsed to read it all but is it like SAD social anxiety disorder, cause my doctor said i had it, he also blamed a pulled calf on depression, no joke!

I vaguely remember the term, it's used in a theory of attachment by Bowlby or whoever.

And that's my contribution....
Quote by Guitardude19
Yea I know I re read my post and I was realised I didnt make it obvious enough. I typed what I would have said to my psycology student mates, but totally forgot this is the internet so you cant see my face...

My bad. No dis respect meant.

hehe don't worry, s'cool
Quote by black_box
i'm not sure about it happening overnight. to the OP, i would suggest working on your shyness. try to make a comment or joke to random people that you come into contact with. The teller at the bank, the person bagging your groceries, in the elevator, standing next to you in line, etc. Just keep in mind that even if you say something awkward, you may not see them ever again, so its no big loss, chalk it up to experience. start small like this and work your way up to conversations.

errm i try too.
but i can't
i've tried smiling at people i want to become friends with.
they probly cant tell coz im a pretty crap smiler.
thats how i smile..............but without the hammer of course
Quote by beeboshain
cant be arsed to read it all but is it like SAD social anxiety disorder, cause my doctor said i had it, he also blamed a pulled calf on depression, no joke!

Really?
i've know some bad excuses but thats a bit silly really.......................unless he was an athlete who was about to become the worlds fastest man.
then he has a right to feel bad.