I want to learn to play piano / keyboards, obviously. My friend told me to play scales and little finger exercise things moving up the piano, so I learned C Major, G Major, E major and C harmonic minor - like how to play them with one hand, and then playing them at the same time with both hands, and eventually playing the scale with one hand and the same scale a third higher or lower with the other hand. So I'll keep working at speeding that up cleanly, but what next? I don't want to get piano lessons yet because I already take guitar. Maybe in the summer once I've built up some technique. Also the keyboard I have is close to 15 years old, got it for Christmas waaaay back when I was like 5. It's made by Casio and doesn't even have pressure sensitive keys (no soft sounds, it's either on or off). So if I stick with it I will buy a new keyboard in a few months, because I know that learning dynamics is a very important part of learning to play any instrument.

I'm sure Lehigh or Penn State, depending on where I go, will have keyboard classes as well which I will take
Just learn chords and Blues scale (minor pentatonic) Also check out easypianolessons on youtube. he has a huge list of songs to choose from and he spells it out so anybody can follow it. But if you want to jam along with others, learn your chord progressions, and the scales that go with them.
Decide what kind of music you want to play, and find a book with easy examples of it. Then progress to a more intermediate book, and so on ...
maybe you could be a method on the internet somewhere. You'll need to look around for something matching your skill and knowledge though.

Well you already stated your doing exercises and atleast thinking of taking classes, so I'd say your on the right track. But you should buy some sheet music and learn some songs
Books and sheet music Suck ass for learning piano. They never have what the artist actually plays, they only have the chords (which can be found for free anywhere) and the vocal notes. Defineitly not worth the $.
I don't really play but i just mess around. Chords are quite simple, and then when you can do a few chords, improvise little melody lines over the top.

Some cool classical stuff you could look at are (like certain parts anyway):

Chaconne in D Minor - JS Bach
Fur Elise - Beethoven

Also stuff like;

Jump - Van Halen
Final Countdown - Europe

Pretty simple songs for beginners.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by REPOMAN
I want to learn to play piano / keyboards, obviously. My friend told me to play scales and little finger exercise things moving up the piano, so I learned C Major, G Major, E major and C harmonic minor - like how to play them with one hand, and then playing them at the same time with both hands, and eventually playing the scale with one hand and the same scale a third higher or lower with the other hand. So I'll keep working at speeding that up cleanly, but what next? I don't want to get piano lessons yet because I already take guitar. Maybe in the summer once I've built up some technique. Also the keyboard I have is close to 15 years old, got it for Christmas waaaay back when I was like 5. It's made by Casio and doesn't even have pressure sensitive keys (no soft sounds, it's either on or off). So if I stick with it I will buy a new keyboard in a few months, because I know that learning dynamics is a very important part of learning to play any instrument.

I'm sure Lehigh or Penn State, depending on where I go, will have keyboard classes as well which I will take

..its almost like you answered your own question man.

hahaha
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
i got lessons at school when i was about 7 and did them til i was 16, i still play sometimes, but i tend to use the theory aspect a lot more now!

tbh, the best way to learn is to get some books and stuff and learn songs imo
Top lel.
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I will definitely check out stuff like Fur Elise, maybe Moonlight Sonata first because it's easier. I'll check out some books next time I'm at my lesson.

I dont have any specific style I want to learn, although I'd like to do a lot of classical and classical influenced because that's the stuff that ends up in my songs. I know a good bit about music theory already - modes, chord construction, melodic / harmonic minor and when to use them, and I know how to read music and how it all works but I can't do it well. I know I'll have to learn the notes of the bass clef as well and I hope this will help me get better at sight reading.

Quote by kirkadolph
..its almost like you answered your own question man.

hahaha

lol.. you're right

I just wanted to hear from experienced players where they think I should start. Now that I've played guitar for 4.5 years and have decent technique, I know there are some things I wish I'd have done and learned earlier, so I'm trying to get answers for those things on a new instrument.
Quote by jaohlert
Books and sheet music Suck ass for learning piano. They never have what the artist actually plays, they only have the chords (which can be found for free anywhere) and the vocal notes. Defineitly not worth the $.

Well I know that, but those books can still give you some good exercises for where to put what finger.

Also I was targeting more of the classical stuff like indeed Fur Elise, which are very differently interpreted by many players.

And you're talking more about keyboard methods then piano methods really. Keyboard simply is all about chords and vocal notes, and maybe some melody. Piano is a whole different thing.

@ Threadstarter:
Of course if you played guitar for 4,5 years you know some theory, which can very easily be translated to piano! So you've got something working for you :P
Yeah, if you're talking about keyboard just use your existing music theory and learn the notes of the keys and build from there, which is fairly simple.

I myself am trying to learn piano in the traditional sense, and am starting the same way I started guitar, which proved to be rather graceful and helpful. I'm looking at the pieces that made me want to play and starting out by learning what looks to be the simplest part and progressing to the harder parts of the song, and that is what I'd recommend to anyone who can devote the time. Mozart, Sonata K. 545 for example. It's in C so it's really simple to build technique as opposed to some songs in other keys.

Either way, I mean piano classes in college will be pretty helpful anyway.
you definitley wanna learn how to read music and (time signatures, meter, etc.). learning theory on the piano is by far much more important and helpful than learning it on guitar. and if you learn it on piano, it's a lot easier to understand and apply it to guitar. but yeah learn how to read music, very important. you have to learn to sight read (that can take years) but more or less be able to recognize and be familiar with musical notation. also make sure you learn how to play basic chords. you should be able to do that by sight. especially for jazz and blues. someone just hands you a chord sheet, you should at least be able to play along with someone with one of those.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's