I have the newer model Standard Strat from Fender. It plays well, but I've noticed that the bridge pickup is noticeably softer/quieter than the other two. I play it through a Roland MicroCube amp and I always have to turn up the amp volume to properly hear the bridge pickup. Is this normal? Or do I have to get it fixed?

Input is appreciated. Thanks!
Raise the bridge pickup.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Doesn't seem normal to me. You should at least have it checked IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
nah, that's pretty normal... the strings vibrate less at the bridge, so the bridge pickup, at the same height, and assuming a similar output, will be quieter.

see the screw at either side of the pickup (on the pickguard)? if you loosen those, the pickup will rise, allowing you to adjust closeness to the strings, which will affect volume. that'd be my first port of call.

EDIT:
Quote by FacingUsAll
Raise the bridge pickup.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The bridge pickup is almost always the hottest of the three. It might be effed up.

Just replace the pickups. You'll be glad you did.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
The bridge pickup is almost always the hottest of the three. It might be effed up.

Just replace the pickups. You'll be glad you did.

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O

What?

The bridge pickup is almost always the hottest, if not always.

And the FSS's stock ceramic single coils are pretty dull, so I just thought replacing them would be a good idea.
generally the hotness of the pickup doesn't really affect how loud it is all that much... hotter pickups distort the amp more quickly... the extra compression can almost make it quieter...

plus even if the hotter pickup is louder, it's only slightly... the position of the pickup makes much more difference...

on pretty much all my guitars, the bridge pickup is hotter, but the neck pickup is louder at the same height... you'd need to raise the bridge pickup to even up the outputs...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
generally the hotness of the pickup doesn't really affect how loud it is all that much... hotter pickups distort the amp more quickly... the extra compression can almost make it quieter...

plus even if the hotter pickup is louder, it's only slightly... the position of the pickup makes much more difference...

on pretty much all my guitars, the bridge pickup is hotter, but the neck pickup is louder at the same height... you'd need to raise the bridge pickup to even up the outputs...

Ah, I see. I always thought that DC resistance was what didn't affect the sound, but that the number of Mv did.

Thanks for clearing that up, buddy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
nah, that's pretty normal... the strings vibrate less at the bridge, so the bridge pickup, at the same height, and assuming a similar output, will be quieter.

see the screw at either side of the pickup (on the pickguard)? if you loosen those, the pickup will rise, allowing you to adjust closeness to the strings, which will affect volume. that'd be my first port of call.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to hear that this issue is fairly normal. Once I loosen the screws and allow the pickup to rise, is there anything else I should do?
If it still persists, you may want to check the wiring.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Ah, I see. I always thought that DC resistance was what didn't affect the sound, but that the number of Mv did.

Thanks for clearing that up, buddy.

dc resistance is kinda a roundabout way of measuring the output... the resistance will increase with more turns (i.e. more output) but thicker wire etc. will also affect the resistance, so it's only really much help when comparing two pickups wound with the same gauge wire.

mv is better but very few people other than dimarzio seem to use it. also just picking harder will affect it too, so it's probably not ideal either.

but i'd have thought either told you how much overdrive you were liable to get, not the volume.

Quote by runnah4life808
Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to hear that this issue is fairly normal. Once I loosen the screws and allow the pickup to rise, is there anything else I should do?

i think the "correct" way to do it is to set the bridge pickup a certain distance from the strings (i'm not exactly sure how far, though if you do a google search you might come up with something), then lower the other two pickups to match.

but as FUA says, if changing the heights doesn't help at all- bear in mind you'll probably have to fiddle with them, and remember you need to be plugged into an amp, i managed to forget that once! o_O- the wiring might need to be checked.

it's unlikely there's anything major wrong, and even if there is, it'll probably be a reasonably cheap fix. worst case scenario, probably a new pickup, which come at varying prices depending on how much you have to spend (or if you're still under warranty, should be free)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?