Alright, this will turn out to be something great. Here is my EPIC amp story that turned into an EPIC PHAIL. I start out looking around the used market at things like 5150's, mesa f-50's, and even a Mark IV (got away, was offered 200 MORE than his asking price of 650). Anyway, I almost get set set on a mesa f-50. And I'm all happy about a new mesa, when at the last second, he gets an offer above mine and I lose it). So I'm all bummed out, when i see a single rectifier halfstack on craigslist. At first, i disregard it (for being out of my budget{about 800-1000}) but somehow i convince my parents to lend me about 100-200 bucks. Sweet. Almost a week later, on the day we were supposed to meet the guy, he never calls back. But on the same day, i hear about a music store about an hour away (thats far for my area) that has the EXACT same thing. When we arrive at the music store i plug in, expecting an amazing blast of searing gain (it was at about 2-3 o'clock) but all i get is a disappointing fart-like gain. (yes, you may say that they need tweaking but wait, there's more) After a little tweaking it starts to sound a little better, but I start to think that it just might not be my "thing". All of a sudden, my STEP-DAD (of all people) calls me over to try out an amp. (this guy knows NOTHING about amplifiers). It turns out to be a Mesa Stilletto (ACE 2x12 combo), and i start to plug in. As soon as i flick the standby switch and start to hammer out a cliche' rock riff, this thing HAMMERS MY FACE IN. It honestly sounds like t3h secks. Yes, I said "sounds". Plural. In some freak abomination of nature my parents of all people some how were alright with loaning me $800 that i have to pay back. Yes, only god knows how my budget went from eight hundred to eighteen hundred. Now, this isn't the end of the story, as you can see, I've ended on a happy note. No, its far from over. I take my amp home and jam ALL WEEKEND. Sweet. Then, naturally, i go to school on monday. Great day. Awesome. But i get home, turn the amp on and,

NOTHING

But, then i remember to turn on the power strip and jam away for another 5 hours (I had you going for a second!) Go to school the next day, and get home O.K. I go downstairs to play my new amp, i turn it on, as normal, in standby, and tune my guitar up. Turn it on and hit a chord and there is an odd thing going on, there is a scratching sound (as if my guitar cord was crapping out, but trust me, it wasn't) THEN i hear a squealing from the amp, quiet, then gets louder. (NOT FEEDBACK, TARDS) I quickly flip it to standby and go fetch the user manual. I bring it down, turn the amp around to get a better look, and start playing. It starts off alright, but quieter, and not as bright as usual (i have it on clean this time) i look at my guitar for a second and keep playing then look up, the power tube on the right is about this color ---> . It scares the crap out of me so i flick it to standby and get my dad. We run through the normal procedure and the amp does the SAME thing as it says in the manual, almost scary similar. I call up the store I bought it from and, while it is covered in the warranty, i have to wait till i can make it back to the store to get new power tubes. So, now I'm left without an amp, because of course I sold my crappy CRATE SS half-stack already, and here i sit, stewing in my own disgust.

But have a nice day UG.
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
That's really not that big of a deal. It's not like the amp exploded or something.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
You wasted all that text to tell us you got a new amp with a dicky power tube?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just be thankful it didn't explode and like blow your arm or your **** off or something... I guarantee you'd feel worse if either of those situations happened..
Quote by steven seagull
You wasted all that text to tell us you got a new amp with a dicky power tube?

I know, I thrive on anti-climax.

EDIT; I partly made this thread to show off my new amp though)
Also, I like to tell stories and find that my budget increase of $1000 is pretty funny.
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Quote by davedoom
wow! that was...ummm...boring.

sh(it) happens - new valves - im british!

Valves/British ftw
tl;dr.

But seriously, what are they replacing the tubes with? 'Cos I wouldn't want them replacing my Mesa tubes with some crappy chinese ****.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
tl;dr.

But seriously, what are they replacing the tubes with? 'Cos I wouldn't want them replacing my Mesa tubes with some crappy chinese ****.

good point. so, since my step-dad has to pick them up from the store, what do i tell him to look out for, GTs etc? its my first tube amp, i thought i might as well get 1 worthwhile thing instead of buying/trading dozens of amps, but I'm pretty much gonna be in the hole for the next 2 years.
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Most tubes are either Chinese, Russian, or Eastern European. Many different brands will come out of the exact same factory.

Edit: I'd go with JJ's. I put them in my amp and love it, maybe the hi-gain ones while you're at it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just get a replacement mesa one, and then do a full matched retube while you are at it...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Just get a replacement mesa one, and then do a full matched retube while you are at it...

I wish, but the guy is replacing them for free anyway and he will probably just give me something from the store. If he gets me replacement mesas ill be good, but the guy might try and give my step-dad, who is going to pick them up, crap because he doesn't know any better. So what should i tell him to not accept?
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
If they give him groove tubes have him make sure they're not re-labeled sovteks