I've been playing guitar for about a year now, but prior to that I played bass for 3 years, so I've picked it up quite fast. I can play rythym to basically any song, and I can play most songs..so now I think it's time to take it to the next level.

The only problem is..I don't know any theory. I know the notes on the neck..and that's basically it.

So I figured I'd lump alot of questions (theory and otherwise) here.

Firstly, What are the main scales I should learn first? and what is a good way to practice these? Also what are scale formulae and how should they be read?

Second, does anyone have any drills / excercizes to incease speed, prefferably for alternate picking.. especially ones that people have used that will work.

I had more questions..however, I forgot them

ANNNNNYWAY. Any answers or additional tips would be much appreciated?
as far as scales go if youre playing rock then learn the minor penatonic scale all five positions and different modes would be a good start. also the major scale is easy to understand
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
a mode is basically the major scale but starting on a different note in the scale. All modal scales are derived from the major (also called the Ionian). If you learn the major scale, that's the first mode. Play it again, only start on the second note of the scale and you have the second mode (Dorian) etc. I'm sure if you search the lessons on this site, there will be a few on modes with tabs of each of the modes.
dude, i´m the same- i ´ve been playing for 3 to 4 yrs . and i cant read music, i havent got a clue on theory- coz i just wanna rock!