What the diference, or the tone you get with the active emg?

i never playd emgz but they are like the "metal favorite" pickups and i was wondering why, cos awesome bands like Lamb of god, dont use them, and they sound great.

im also buyng a new guitar, and this is also something to think about, going with emgs active guitars, or stay with passive ?

so whats the tone or the difference with active pickups, other than they use batteries

( i play some kind of alternative - metalcore music, i have a LP gibson with dimebucker on bridge, and 100watts all tube amp, so im looking to improve my rig )
Lamb of Gob doesn't use EMGs, because the clean tone of them isn't that good, especially compared to the clean tones of SD 59's (which is what Mark uses, and he handles most of the clean stuff, and solos they do).
i couldnt really tell you much cuz i have the emg-esp's on my ax-260 but the tone is really nice and as of now im really loving it even though they are the more lower end emgs and not emg 81 or anything special
i'm wondering the same thing. but lamb of god is totally different from other metal guys there lead guy plays a hollow body with non actives cuz he jambs with country bands and stuff too. believe it or not. but i think they're awesome
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Well, the actives thend to be a lot hotter and drive the preamps harder, which is why a lot of metal guitar players use them. They sound great distorted and can handle a crapload of gain without much noise. The downside is that they sound rather bland and flat, especially on the clean channel. The way I like to think of it is that passives have a lot more 'character' and the actives are the uber hot body-builders.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Actives tend to be be VERY high output, thus not good cleans, they are very bright sounding, and are very compressed sounding as well. I tend to to like passives better because of the more natural tone, and you don't have to replace the batteries because they don't have any. If I were you, I'd stick to some good passives like Seymour Duncans (my personal favourites). I'd check out the JB/Jazz combo, or you could try others like the Distortion and 59. I heard the Invaders and Dimebuckers tend to suck though. I think DiMarzio puts out some good passives too, but I'm not entirely sure.

Of course don't forget that good tone comes from a good amp.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i love the sound i get from EMGs
changing a battery isnt a big hassle either, cuz you dont need to change the battery every day or anything, and changing it only takes like 5 seconds.
also, idk about other ppl but i get great cleans from EMGs, not just the 60s, even the 81 and 85
great pickups, im glad i have them
Quote by Fouckest
What the diference, or the tone you get with the active emg?

i never playd emgz but they are like the "metal favorite" pickups and i was wondering why, cos awesome bands like Lamb of god, dont use them, and they sound great.

im also buyng a new guitar, and this is also something to think about, going with emgs active guitars, or stay with passive ?

so whats the tone or the difference with active pickups, other than they use batteries

( i play some kind of alternative - metalcore music, i have a LP gibson with dimebucker on bridge, and 100watts all tube amp, so im looking to improve my rig )

I think Mark's starting to use EMGs in his Jackson. There are a few pics of him at download with EMGs in his guitar, and i think he's been using them since.

Active pickups have an internal preamp in them which cuts down on noise that passives experiance, and they also even out the frequencies (even dynamics). I think they sound pretty good, and with a good amp they have good cleans. 81s though don't have the greatest clean response in the world, but the 60 is really something, the 85 is good, and the 89 is really good.

And for alt rock/metalcore, i'd say try EMGs. Especially if you use distortion alot; EMGs love gain.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I think Mark's starting to use EMGs in his Jackson. There are a few pics of him at download with EMGs in his guitar, and i think he's been using them since.

Active pickups have an internal preamp in them which cuts down on noise that passives experiance, and they also even out the frequencies (even dynamics). I think they sound pretty good, and with a good amp they have good cleans. 81s though don't have the greatest clean response in the world, but the 60 is really something, the 85 is good, and the 89 is really good.

And for alt rock/metalcore, i'd say try EMGs. Especially if you use distortion alot; EMGs love gain.

No Mark doesn't use EMG's he just put covers on his 59's, so he wouldn't get sweat in them during live shows.
ive got EMGs but i cant put them to their full potential yet b/c i dont have a tube amp. but they are so hot dude. and the cleans arent as terrible as ppl say
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
yeah if you want your guitar to sound like a toneless bomb exploding, buy emgs.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.