the title really says it all. i practice everyday and i dont get better. i know scales, but everytime i go to play somthing fast my arm tenses up, or i cant move my pick to a different string fast enough. the only respectable solos i can play are Man in a Box, Love Gun, Bloodline, and the master of puppets slow solo. can you give me some new ones to practice, or new things to try
Quote by flesh fries
"did it hurt?"
"did what hurt?"
"when satan piledrived you up from hell you bitch"

say that to a girl and BAM...immediate sex...or a smack

lmao
one of the first and most helpful song/solo was One by Metallica. Give that a go.
Also (might not be your taste) but Carlos Santana's music really helped me.
You'll likely get a million different responses, those are just the two routes I took and they helped me out a lot.
well wirth a name like beatles suck ,i doubt you'll get much answers
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
the whole thing about playing guitar in general is to relax. you get too tense, you suck. try to adjust your strap length. besides that, practice scales, listen to a wide variety of music for inspiration, and record yourself and solo over it or get a friend to play a rhythm line. these things really helped me when i started out
yeah and play with a metronome slowly and increase the speed when you get more comfortable if your not already
try crazy train's solo. pretty easy, not much moving around, and it's fast.

EDIT:

I also thought I should point out that the beatles are roughly:
76345789163547357435679325732965327965319875613897461832756917835138975461397825431497851378945317916349807164357891356918375649183745619378564138947561378954613894756138947561793845643198756139784563189475613985763194785619437865
times more talented than slayer.
Last edited by rush5757 at Feb 5, 2008,
thanks alot, what evrybody gets wrong about me is the kind of music i listen to, cause belive it or not i listen to alot of every genre, not just metal. but for the purpose of this thread im looking to improve my speed for solos, and metal seems to be based off of speed most of the time
Quote by flesh fries
"did it hurt?"
"did what hurt?"

lmao
just to let everybody know, the more you tell me my name sucks, the more i DONT regret picking it. my musical taste is my musical tase, if i dont like the beatles, your not going to change that
Quote by flesh fries
"did it hurt?"
"did what hurt?"

lmao
I just recently got half-decent at solos, and I could never move fast enough with either hand. What I did is I kept finding faster and faster riffs, until I was really comfortable with moving that fast. Then solos came easy. Just about working your way up.
Quote by beatles_suck
just to let everybody know, the more you tell me my name sucks, the more i DONT regret picking it. my musical taste is my musical tase, if i dont like the beatles, your not going to change that

You're not gonna get much help with an attitude like that.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
rush 5757:
"I also thought I should point out that the beatles are roughly:
76345789163547357435679325732965327965319875613897 46183275691783513897546139782543149785137894531791 63498071643578913569183756491837456193785641389475 61378954613894756138947561793845643198756139784563 189475613985763194785619437865
times more talented than slayer."

lol, nice

im not that great at solos either, but the solo in paranoid, and the one in enter sandman are good to practice
Broken_pick
"Originally Posted by beatles_suck

You're not gonna get much help with an attitude like that."

why is that, i think he is right in saying that he doenst like what he doesnt like, and its his own opinion. i like the beatles, but i think he has a good attitude, and can anyone tell me how to quote correctly?
Quote by JakoSnako
Broken_pick
"Originally Posted by beatles_suck

You're not gonna get much help with an attitude like that."

why is that, i think he is right in saying that he doenst like what he doesnt like, and its his own opinion. i like the beatles, but i think he has a good attitude, and can anyone tell me how to quote correctly?

Click the quote button?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Easiest solos, Master of Puppets, and Enter Sandman, before you go "Wtf dude, those are total shredding songs" no, the Master of Puppets Solo is all repetitive movement, really easy, don't try to practice it slow, remember where you pluck each part and keep trying it fast, eventually you'll be able to do it sloppy, then work from there. The Sandman solo is a bit different, less repetitive, but it's in W'ah, usually songs on W'ah pedals are 10x easier because the W'ah is to cover up the average solo and turn it amazing. You ain't going to get good unless you really want to learn these, and if you try you can eventually
Quote by cliffordacdc
yeah and play with a metronome slowly and increase the speed when you get more comfortable if your not already

Agreed.
Just like practicing guitar exercises, you should start off slow and slowly speed up.
It really helps if you can perfect a solo at a slower speed making sure to know how to exactlly play each note properly and cleanly. (it also helps to practice without any distortion or effects so you know you're playing the solos perfectly)

Then it's just an issue of working your way up with speed.
(I find that doing it this way also helps give me a chance to look at the various positions my hand takes in order to find the best way to play in without stressing my fingers or screwing me up for whatever the next note is I have to play)
Oh yeah, another day, Oh yeah, gotta play,
What it is, it never was, I don't care to give enough,
My boredom has outshined the sun, It's all down low,
I just want to have some, Little fun

-Plume, Smashing Pumpkins
Feel?Make dramatic faces as you play?xD
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
yeah with a name like that I can see why theres not much help here. if I put a name like "Metal, rock, and all music sucks" I bet you would all be flaming me too...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I agree beatles suck.. i just dont know whats so great about them like stones zepplin are so much better..

and with the thread ummm.... i cant help
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
sometime taking a break for a few days or a week does wonders . beleive it or not.
Quote by beatles_suck
the title really says it all. i practice everyday and i dont get better. i know scales, but everytime i go to play somthing fast my arm tenses up, or i cant move my pick to a different string fast enough. the only respectable solos i can play are Man in a Box, Love Gun, Bloodline, and the master of puppets slow solo. can you give me some new ones to practice, or new things to try

Quote by beatles_suck
can you give me some new ones to practice, or new things to try

You don't need anything new to practice. The probem isn't WHAT you're practicing,
it's HOW.

Quote by beatles_suck
, but everytime i go to play somthing fast my arm tenses up, or i cant move my pick to a different string fast enough.

The first thing you need to do is accept responsibility for controlling your limbs. Arms
and fingers have no self control on thier own. You need to play at a speed where
can always control them.

Everything you need to know about how to practice is here: www.guitarprinciples.com
Quote by edg
You don't need anything new to practice. The probem isn't WHAT you're practicing,
it's HOW.

The first thing you need to do is accept responsibility for controlling your limbs. Arms
and fingers have no self control on thier own. You need to play at a speed where
can always control them.

Everything you need to know about how to practice is here: www.guitarprinciples.com

Pretty much answers everything....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls