Page 1 of 3
I was looking at half-stacks today...I figured since I had upped my ante in skill quite a bit over the past year that I was safe to say I was ready for one.

I was looking at two brands...Kustom and Randall. I've been looking into purchasing half-stacks like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RHS-120W-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481479
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-QUAD-JR.-100W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amplifier?sku=481275

What would be the best for my playing? I've personally played a Kustom before but not a Randall, and it seemed versatile, but it was too expensive for the price range I'm looking at (I would like to find a good half-stack anywhere from $500-700).

I like multiple styles of music, but the main things I play are Nu-Metal, Hardcore and Thrash.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
you do not need a half stack, you need a tube combo, i advise you look at a Randall RG50tc
B-52's are pretty nice as well, a poor man's recto if you will
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ghold125
you do not need a half stack, you need a tube combo, i advise you look at a Randall RG50tc

Hmmm...I have been thinking about getting an ESP guitar with EMGs, and players on here have said they're a lot better with tube amps. Thanks, bro!
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Why do you NEED a half stack. Get a nice tube combo. It will blow any SS stack out of the water.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
"I would like to find a good half-stack anywhere from $500-700"

No, no and No. Oh, did I mention NO. You cannot get a good half stack for that price range. Not even used. Do yourself a favor and get a nice tube combo. My half stack retailed at $2900. It's a little bit more than your $700 cap. You could get a 4X12 cabinet in your price range, but then you need more to get the head and the head is always more than the cab.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
First of all, you don't want a half-stack. You just dont need it. Marshall MG half-stacks are $600 or so, for the same price you can get a perfectly find tube combo.
Quote by zoomzilla

No, no and No. Oh, did I mention NO. You cannot get a good half stack for that price range. Not even used. Do yourself a favor and get a nice tube combo. My half stack retailed at $2900. It's a little bit more than your $700 cap. You could get a 4X12 cabinet in your price range, but then you need more to get the head and the head is always more than the cab.

You could. Peavey Windsor comes to mind.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You could. Peavey Windsor comes to mind.

I said GOOD half stack.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I said GOOD half stack.
The Windsor is GOOD. All it lacks is a great metal tone. Nothing an EQ pedal or dirt box won't fix.
Quote by zoomzilla
I said GOOD half stack.

It is good. New set of tubes with a good cab (not windsor cab) and you are all set. It won't be as good as a Traynor YCV50 Blue, but if he really wants a stack then the windsor would do if he doesn't need cleans.
B52's are nothing like a "Recto." They both have rectifier circuits, but the resemblance ends there. The Randall or a Peavey Valveking, maybe a Windsor are ones to check out.
Last edited by uldhppi at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by uldhppi
B52's are nothing like a "Recto." They both have rectifier circuits, but the resemblance ends there. The Randall or a Peavey Valveking, maybe a Windsor are ones to check out.

+1 For the Valveking
Quote by TJM2482
The Windsor is GOOD. All it lacks is a great metal tone. Nothing an EQ pedal or dirt box won't fix.

Uh, it's like $400 brand new. Yeah, I am sure it's a beast!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
If you want a good half stack save your money. Take about $1500 and buy a bitchin' used Marshall tube half stack off of craigslist. There is no such thing as a good half stack under a grand. Now peavey makes some decent stuff, but I don't think the windsor is up to par.
Quote by zoomzilla

I've never payed more than $200 for any peice of rig, and my rig is godly.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I've never payed more than $200 for any peice of rig, and my rig is godly.

I would agree that you don't have to spend thousands to get a good sounding rig, but I seriously doubt that a head or cab could be really great for $200 and under used or not.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
I would agree that you don't have to spend thousands to get a good sounding rig, but I seriously doubt that a head or cab could be really great for $200 and under used or not.

Epiphone Valve Junior? Lopo cab from Lopocabs.net, and a Fender Blues JR. speaker is how I "roll".

But, the Windsor is pretty good. I like it alot myself. Try it out. The Cab isn't very good though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
get a tube combo, end of thread
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by zoomzilla

Oh yeah and that makes you so much better than him . Halfstacks are a bitch to haul around so bear that in mind. If you go used look into the B-52 At-100. You could probably get a used Peavey Classic 30 head with a used cab of some sort. Keep your eye on craigslist and ebay. Also look into the Peavey Windsor. Not much for cleans but its a good amp for the price.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by zoomzilla

Ok I'm just going to go out and say it. You're a dick. You think that only expensive gear is good which is BS. You CAN get tube tone on a budget, no you don't need a $2900 amp to sound good. Seriously if you're just going to blurt out pointless **** and brag about your rig then **** off.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by DiMeTiMe
No, it's actually "/thread"

Why are you posting against me must i pwn you again?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by soul_power
Ok I'm just going to go out and say it. You're a dick. You think that only expensive gear is good which is BS. You CAN get tube tone on a budget, no you don't need a $2900 amp to sound good. Seriously if you're just going to blurt out pointless **** and brag about your rig then **** off.

A. was not bragging about my gear, I listed what it cost as a reference point.
B. Usually there is a reason something is more expensive than something else. A Gibson Les Paul costs a lot more than a Epiphone Les Paul. Why? A JCM head cost a lot more than an MG head, why? Can you get some good tones from cheaper stuff? Sure, but do you think that it's reasonable to spend $700 on a half stack when a decent cab costs that much? You can get a nice combo for $700 that sounds just fine. But that was not the OP's question. He did not ask about tube combos. I think that any comment I make is far from pointless. Some people need to be told the truth. Call me what you want, but I bet you that I know a hell of a lot more about gear than you do. So I hardly think that I am pointless. If you don't like my posts, ignore them. Simple as that.

Oh, I get it now. You are a kid. You are a junior in high school according to your profile. Your occupation is sitting at home, so I can understand your animousity towards anyone who has nice stuff. I get it. Thanks! I will take your compliment then!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Last edited by zoomzilla at Feb 6, 2008,
Sure, but do you think that it's reasonable to spend $700 on a half stack when a decent cab costs that much?

You can get a nice 212 for a whole hell of a lot less then $700. Hell if you're smart about it you can find 412's for half that.

There was a Marshall listed on craigslist for $350 the other day in the Boston area.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by zoomzilla
You cannot get a good half stack for that price range. Not even used.

Thats probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can get great half stacks new and used for that price range. You just cant be an elitist and find one in that price range.

For the people who said that you dont need a half stack and that you should just get a tube combo. First off, TS, if your skill has improved as much as you say it has, then you may start gigging soon and good luck trying to find dedicated musicians who want someone to be in their band and show up with a combo amp when everyone else has stacks. Pro-quality gear isnt considered a combo, no matter how much you paid for it or what kind of name is on it.

Dude there are always great deals to be found out there, you just have to look for them and dont get suckered in by people telling you what you need and dont need. If you want a half stack then get it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Thats probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Quote by LuthierofTexas

First off, TS, if your skill has improved as much as you say it has, then you may start gigging soon and good luck trying to find dedicated musicians who want someone to be in their band and show up with a combo amp when everyone else has stacks. Pro-quality gear isnt considered a combo, no matter how much you paid for it or what kind of name is on it.

Irony lololololol.

I know plenty of bands who are dedicated and serious who use combos and quarter stacks.
^Personally, if my band cared so much about how my gear looked rather than played, I would just leave.
Quote by gald
Irony lololololol.

I know plenty of bands who are dedicated and serious who use combos and quarter stacks.

By 'plenty of bands' do you mean bands that you know who play club gigs and garage practice sessions?

How many actual touring bands that you know of use combo amps? I have never seen any. Unless they are touring the bar-mitsva circuit.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
By 'plenty of bands' do you mean bands that you know who play club gigs and garage practice sessions?

No, most of these small ****ty local bands are actually the ones who have 1/2 stackes that either suck (BUT MAN THEY LOOK LIKE SRS MUSICIANS LOL) or they had to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a year to afford.

How many actual touring bands that you know of use combo amps? I have never seen any. Unless they are touring the bar-mitsva circuit.

Again, plenty. Hell, last time I saw Against Me! Tom was using a Vox AC30 and they're in the big-time now. You're telling me he'd be taken more seriously if he was sporting a half-stack over (arguably) one the best amps ever made? rofl.

It doesn't matter anyways, saying that a band won't take you seriously unless you have a half-stack had got to be one of the most retarded things I have ever heard in my entire life.
Quote by gald
You can get a nice 212 for a whole hell of a lot less then $700. Hell if you're smart about it you can find 412's for half that.

There was a Marshall listed on craigslist for $350 the other day in the Boston area.

It's whatever your tastes are I guess. Yes, you can get an Avatar cabinet for $500, or a use 4X12, but that leaves $200 for a head. I am curious as to what head you can get for $200. Say it's elitist, say whatever you want, but decent gear costs money. Simple as that. But don't listen to me, I am just some dick according to Soul power. Ignore the fact that I have been playing for 30 years. What the heck would I know about stuff.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You just cant be an elitist and find one in that price range.

...good luck trying to find dedicated musicians who want someone to be in their band and show up with a combo amp when everyone else has stacks. Pro-quality gear isnt considered a combo, no matter how much you paid for it or what kind of name is on it.

Quite the irony from a brand new halfstack elitist with a makeshift SS stack.

This is simply not true.

You show up to a tryout with your new stack, another guitarist shows up with a Fender Twin or Bassman, Vox AC30, Mesa, Orange, etc., combo... and it's the other guy who's easily going to be seen as the one with pro gear.

You're completely misguided if you think real musicians are fooled by cheap stacks.

Quote by LuthierofTexas

Brian May, Eric Clapton, and Pete Townsend gig with combos. Most NYC bands gig with combos, and I'd think that would be the case in most cities. They're convenient, plenty loud enough, and you get a lot more for your money when you buy a combo over a head & cab.

With a limited budget, you gotta go for the best amp you can get. With $700, I can get a much nicer combo than stack, so that's what I'd be going for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by gald
Irony lololololol.

Yes. Many bands even today that are famous use combos. Half stacks just aren't economical for the everyday gigger when they have a budget.
Quote by gald
No, most of these small ****ty local bands are actually the ones who have 1/2 stackes that either suck (BUT MAN THEY LOOK LIKE SRS MUSICIANS LOL) or they had to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a year to afford.

For one, eating Ramen for a year? Well at least they had something to eat. I know tons of musicians who would go without a meal or two a day to be able to finance their dreams of being musicians. Hell I know I would.

Quote by gald
Again, plenty. Hell, last time I saw Against Me! Tom was using a Vox AC30 and they're in the big-time now. You're telling me he'd be taken more seriously if he was sporting a half-stack over (arguably) one the best amps ever made?

Well seeing as how I have never heard of Against Me! Im assuming they arent quite that big. Although, I could have known that because Sire Records is a f*cking joke label anyway. The only decent band they have is Depeche Mode and they were good in the 80's. And like you said, the Vox AC30 is ARGUABLY one of the greatest amps ever, if you're The Edge or one of the Beatles.

Point blank, combo amps are for practice, jam sessions, and recording. There are places where its more convenient to have a combo then a stack. But on stage, its better to have a stack. Now say what you want, but thats my opinion. For small and mid size gigs you dont have to mic a stack. And for larger gigs, its easier to either mic a larger wattage stack or run a splitter out to a mixer and into a PA to get louder, then micing a 30 watt tube combo.

Its all preference. If he wants a stack then who the f*ck are you to tell him not to? And really by the way, why are you trying to suck zoomzilla's c*ck? He's being an elitist prick and you're defending him? Either A.) you're an elitist too or B.) you're just trying to kiss the ass of an elitist to look cool. Either way, you're on an internet forum. You just look retarded.
^There's that whole mobility concept too, don't forget that. Lugging around a 1x12, even if it's a 75-pound Mark IV, has to be better than lugging around a head that probably ways a bit (no actual experience so can't say), along with a speaker cab that, aside from probably having some weight to it, is pretty big.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
For one, eating Ramen for a year? Well at least they had something to eat. I know tons of musicians who would go without a meal or two a day to be able to finance their dreams of being musicians. Hell I know I would.

Well seeing as how I have never heard of Against Me! Im assuming they arent quite that big. Although, I could have known that because Sire Records is a f*cking joke label anyway. The only decent band they have is Depeche Mode and they were good in the 80's. And like you said, the Vox AC30 is ARGUABLY one of the greatest amps ever, if you're The Edge or one of the Beatles.

Point blank, combo amps are for practice, jam sessions, and recording. There are places where its more convenient to have a combo then a stack. But on stage, its better to have a stack. Now say what you want, but thats my opinion. For small and mid size gigs you dont have to mic a stack. And for larger gigs, its easier to either mic a larger wattage stack or run a splitter out to a mixer and into a PA to get louder, then micing a 30 watt tube combo.

Its all preference. If he wants a stack then who the f*ck are you to tell him not to? And really by the way, why are you trying to suck zoomzilla's c*ck? He's being an elitist prick and you're defending him? Either A.) you're an elitist too or B.) you're just trying to kiss the ass of an elitist to look cool. Either way, you're on an internet forum. You just look retarded.

Ok, so being honest = Elitist prick? I don't get the relationship. If some kid came in here and was jacked out his brand new Squire Strat starter pack and wanted to know if he could gig with it, what exactly would you say? If you said no, your stuff sucks, then I guess in his mind you would be an elitists prick. I am hardly saying that my stuff is the best stuff in the world, nor am I saying that anything less than mine is crap. I am just being realistic. And I also agree with slats or whatever his name is. Combos are just fine for gigging. You think if you mic a combo it sounds bad? I dont' agree. I have no issue with combos, I recommended one give his price range. My issue is that unless you find a heck of a deal, it's hard to get a decent half stack for $700. If that makes me an elitist in your world, so be it. It's called reality.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah