how possible is it to become awesome at guitar in under a year and how much would you have to play?

awesome as in ready to be in a band with lots of knowledge and able to play alot of songs
Highly possible to get to a level where you can play in a band. I suggest take lessons and practice at least 15-30 minutes a day.
depends what kind of band.

3 weeks and you can be in greenday. years of hard work and slog you can be in Children of Bodom
ive only been playing 7 months, and i think i am pretty good. i can play black dog, comfortably numb solo's 1 and 2, and tons of other songs. i also know a lot of theory. it depends on how much you practice i guess.
Get a teacher. You can practice 7 hours a day and it not mean **** if you dont know what you're doing. To be good, practice 30 or more minutes a day, or until you've mastered a skill you're working on. As long as you don't waste your practice time, you'll be alright.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
I've played for a year, and I can easily play in a band (not trying to sound like I hve an ego, but from what i've seen of my local bands, many green day copies, I could easily get in.)

But when it comes to playing like in a band like Opeth or Van Halen, don't count on it for a while, but overall a year you could get really good, you'd be surprised.

One of my friends is insane, and he's played for like ten months.
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
Helps to know some music theory. I was playing for about a year and then formed my current band. Just practice. And no, if you're talking like Syn Gates good, that's not gonna happen it a year. Aim for being better than Nirvana.
i played in a band after only playing for three months, we played old punk rock songs, if you want to be really awesome technically and play prog metal and things like that, it will likely take over a year.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well i play atleast 3 hours a day everyday by myself. i heard you improve much faster if you play with other people is that true?
^ Syn Gates is a great guitar player, maybe not the best but better then a lot.

Anyways on topic, it depends how you practice, I play for 1-2 hours a day for a few years now and I am not a master shredder or anything. The reason is I dont run scales and build up speed I just play songs I like and try to come up with little things. I bet if you spent 6 months running scales up and down the board and doing arpeggios for hour upon on end you will be decent.
Quote by VR 07
well i play atleast 3 hours a day everyday by myself. i heard you improve much faster if you play with other people is that true?

It defo helps to see how other people play.
Quote by fagelamusgtr
And no, if you're talking like Syn Gates good, that's not gonna happen it a year. Aim for being better than Nirvana.

Haha, you severely overestimate Synester Gates and underestimate Kurt Cobain.
Anyway, if you're really serious about getting good then find a teacher. A really good one. Not the fat middle aged idiot at the local music store.

If you just want to be able to play some easy songs and write your own stuff, then just use this site to find what you want to learn and start playing.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
by 6 months, I usually notice people start getting band-worthy
It also requires a little bit of talent. I have heard people that thought they were awesome and by god they could play off key faster than a 5 dollar whore dropping her knickers.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Slash and Zakk Wylde were both playin for around 2 years when they recorded their first big albums.

And for the record, I started playin guitar seriously the minute I joined a band. Pretty kickass way to learn, if ya ask me.
I play since 8 month and im actually pretty good.

I pratice like 30 -45 min a day but i got something important.

PASSION
Quote by MAYNARD
Slash and Zakk Wylde were both playin for around 2 years when they recorded their first big albums.

And for the record, I started playin guitar seriously the minute I joined a band. Pretty kickass way to learn, if ya ask me.

Slash was not 16 when he recorded Appetite,he was 22. He started guitar at 14

Zakk Wylde was 19 when he first recorded with Ozzy. He started guitar at 15,

EDIT: Whoops, 19 was when he auditioned for Ozzy. He was 21 at the time No Rest for the Wicked was recorded.

A bit more than 2 years.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Feb 5, 2008,
zakk wylde played for 12 hours a day sometimes...
I doubt you have that kind of commitment

I play bass 4-6 hours a day,
just practice whenever you are in your room/watching tv etc.
you can get good in 8 months if you practice alot
Quote by RPGoof
I feel dirty just reading that word. Grindcore... EW... I need a shower

Quote by stratkat
music is my meth equivalent
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Zakk Wylde was 19 when he first ecorded with Ozzy. He started guitar at 15,

A bit more than 2 years.

pwnt
but in a year you would be surprised at how good you could get. depends on how much you practice
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Quote by freedoms_stain
depends what kind of band.

3 weeks and you can be in greenday. years of hard work and slog you can be in Children of Bodom

HURRRRR let's bash every band we don't like because we don't realize that somewhere out there, someone likes something you don't.

You are a ****ing tool, commit suicide because your unnecessary negative comments are needed no where on this earth. My negative comments only spawn from former negative comments that I am complaining about.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Zakk Wylde was 19 when he first recorded with Ozzy. He started guitar at 15,

EDIT: Whoops, 19 was when he auditioned for Ozzy. He was 21 at the time No Rest for the Wicked was recorded.

A bit more than 2 years.

I have read what I wrote about Zakk Wylde several times, in interviews, but what would he know? I guess he is fulla **** most of the time so.......

Slash, I will attribute to a misinformed friend.
Quote by Inertia//Creep
HURRRRR let's bash every band we don't like because we don't realize that somewhere out there, someone likes something you don't.

You are a ****ing tool, commit suicide because your unnecessary negative comments are needed no where on this earth. My negative comments only spawn from former negative comments that I am complaining about.

I don't really notice bashing. Sure you would have to build up more than 3 weeks worth of endurance for a handful of Green Day songs, but you could be in a Green Day cover band after prolly a couple days of solid practice. Power chords are easy.
Quote by Inertia//Creep

Calm down tbh. He was just stating that the majority of Greenday songs are quite easy to master for a beginner and that the majority of CoB songs are ridiculously hard for a beginner. I don't believe he said anything derrogatory about Green Day.. Long story short stfu.
I've been playing just over a year and i can play a handful of Killswitch engage songs. Really good band to play to if you wanna get your palm muting down. I'm not too good at solos and stuff yet, i'm more into rhythm playing at the moment, but i'm starting to get more into solo playing etc. I used to practice like 1-2 hours every other day but recently, like the last 4 months or so i've been playing like 2-3 hours a day as playing becomes much more enjoyable when you get better at it

TBH i wouldn't worry about getting leet in under a year, just play at a comfortable level.
I think that you may be able to acquire technical skills, but one year is too short to acquire the musical maturity it takes to actually become awsome
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
I can't stand people that say they can play the solo to some intermediate song or such a song after 6 months.

I know people who started off playing guitar and saying that and can't play for shit. I'd love to see some proof.

To TS, I'd say you can be good enough to be in a cover band after a year with a couple of hours (correct) practice every day but don't expect to know loads of theory. It depends on how dedicated you are...
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
well ive been playing for 10 months now.. and i practise like 4 hours a day...
(and im pretty awesome) :P:
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Inertia//Creep

Wait what? I don't think he said anything about not liking Greenday. Good one.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.