Our year is competing against the others in a schoolwide 'battle of the classes', and we have to make a skit focusing on pride, set in the 80's. Our director has some ideas, mainly focused on a kind of 'hip hop crew' war, but we were wondering if anyone here might have some better ideas/good input that we could use. We're working with about 31 actors, 8 guys, 23 girls. We can't have too many mains; most people will have to be ensemble characters (probably about 10 main characters max). The skit will be half an hour max.

And an additional thank you ahead of time to everyone trying to help us out.

So, let the ideas flow!
I'm not really that much of a director or anything, but all I have to say is don't do hip-hop. It's LAME.

If it were me, I'd probably go with that whole 'Arabian Nights' thing from Aladdin.
Quote by FOCOrock
I'm not really that much of a director or anything, but all I have to say is don't do hip-hop. It's LAME.

If it were me, I'd probably go with that whole 'Arabian Nights' thing from Aladdin.

I agree it is pretty lame; he's trying to incorporate a rock crew in there(Guns n' Roses kinda).

Unfortunately, none of us can change our topics anymore without falling really far behind. So we pretty much have to stick with the theme of 'pride' in the 80's.
Hm... if not Aladinn, then how about "We are Family" or "what I like about you" or some other song that has been used in every movie since the 80's?

THat would be equally lame.
Quote by FOCOrock
Hm... if not Aladinn, then how about "We are Family" or "what I like about you" or some other song that has been used in every movie since the 80's?

THat would be equally lame.

Well, we will have 80's songs for sure. This thread is about getting a storyline incorporating the theme of pride, though.
Quote by ih8u2
Well, we will have 80's songs for sure. This thread is about getting a storyline incorporating the theme of pride, though.

so basically you just need a story, anystory? , involving pride set in the 1980's?

that is your only criteria?

is it like a musical or what?
Quote by imthehitcher
so basically you just need a story, anystory? , involving pride set in the 1980's?

that is your only criteria?

is it like a musical or what?

Yes, that is our only criteria. We're going to involve a few 80s songs so that the dancers can do their job a bit. Not mainly a musical, though. More like a story with little bits of dancing.
Quote by ih8u2
Yes, that is our only criteria. We're going to involve a few 80s songs so that the dancers can do their job a bit. Not mainly a musical, though. More like a story with little bits of dancing.

well i would say either have astory incorporating the miners against Thatcher, there was alot of pride there

or maybe fal of the Berlin wall? i know it were late eighties but still

i think it would be cool to do one involving important events of that time, as well as educational
Quote by imthehitcher
well i would say either have astory incorporating the miners against Thatcher, there was alot of pride there

or maybe fal of the Berlin wall? i know it were late eighties but still

i think it would be cool to do one involving important events of that time, as well as educational

All of those ideas sound really good, and I do agree that it would be cool to do a skit involving important and educational events. However, the people in the school are usually not interested in that kind of stuff; our goal this year is to win, and, unfortunately, we usually have to dumb it down quite a bit and make it more appealing to a general crowd. However, if you or anyone else on this board has an idea on how to incorporate education/important events into a script interesting to the average high school joe, then I would like to hear it; it'll give our entry a flair of great originality and depth.
Quote by ih8u2
All of those ideas sound really good, and I do agree that it would be cool to do a skit involving important and educational events. However, the people in the school are usually not interested in that kind of stuff; our goal this year is to win, and, unfortunately, we usually have to dumb it down quite a bit and make it more appealing to a general crowd. However, if you or anyone else on this board has an idea on how to incorporate education/important events into a script interesting to the average high school joe, then I would like to hear it; it'll give our entry a flair of great originality and depth.

If you were serious about a career in acting you wouldn't care about dumbing it down.

Enjoy your trailer in Hollywood, I'll come visit you on the street and pretend I'm a director to get your hopes up, then the truth will come out.

School is so boring these days.
Quote by Inertia//Creep
If you were serious about a career in acting you wouldn't care about dumbing it down.

Enjoy your trailer in Hollywood, I'll come visit you on the street and pretend I'm a director to get your hopes up, then the truth will come out.

School is so boring these days.

I am but a lowly messenger seeking to help my class win.
Quote by Arkhimedes
How about a battle of the bands type of skit

That might work; any idea for the plot/character placement?

Then again it might not; the choreographers might have a tough time setting up dancing to rock music. It'll be good for them, though.
If not, try getting your prep group or ur hip hop crew or whatever and break them up into groups. Have the minor characters judge and stuff. Also, you could write scripts where the minor characters are friends or something and they are gossiping until one of the crew's pride gets hurt.
something like that
Quote by Arkhimedes
If not, try getting your prep group or ur hip hop crew or whatever and break them up into groups. Have the minor characters judge and stuff. Also, you could write scripts where the minor characters are friends or something and they are gossiping until one of the crew's pride gets hurt.
something like that

That just may work!

Any other ideas??
Have Van Halen, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Poison, etc (ie 80's metal/glam) vs the hip hop crew

or something else involving the glam 80's stuff because its too funny not to be awesome
Just do a parody/homage to John Hughes movies. It would be way more relateable, and way more awesome! Also, think of all the Psychedelic Furs and OMD you could include in the soundtrack!