I plan on making two more purchases in my guitar gear: A Peavey ValveKing combo amp and an ESP guitar (preferably a higher-end on with EMG 81,85 etc. pickups)...And I have heard that EMG pickups are not as good in Solid States amps as they are in tube ones (currently my best amp is a Roland Cube 60.)

Which should I buy first, A guitar or an amp?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Amp. I'd reccomend you against the VK, though, what's your price range?

I was hoping to find a good tube combo amp in the $500-700 range.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
yeah dude definitely go for the amp first. actives+ss= mucho clipping
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Valveking is a great amp and versatile. And EMG's do not sound good in a solid state amp.

See, everyone keeps saying that, but WHY? What is the reason they do not sound good?

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I'd go with the VK as well.

In my experience, EMGs on my Microcube get real staticky (spelling?) and very harsh sounding in a bad, digital way.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Thebiz
See, everyone keeps saying that, but WHY? What is the reason they do not sound good?

It's called a bandwagon, everyone's jumping on it.

EMGs sound perfectly fine through a solid state amp, unless you turn up the volume and try to go brutal (which I suppose is what most EMG users do). The problem is that solid state amps don't deal with high output pickups too well as those tend to drive solid state circuitry into undesireable clipping more than moderate or low output pickups.

Now, EMGs have oodles of drive, and if you try to push EMG signal through a distortion channel of a solid state amp, you're going to get a whole lot of what solid state amps are infamous for - harsh, brittle, noisy distortion-like crap. The same can be said for any passive pickup that has a high output level.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Also to add to pifty.... Mine add's in a weird chorus effect on top of the harsh, brittle noise coming out of the speaker. And thats playing through a Marshall... Just sounds terrible... Tubes love um, solid states hate um...
amp first
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
I have a Vox valvetronix ad30vt that sounds awesome with emg's. It has a really tubey scream to it that goes great with them. I have compared it with a guitar loaded with duncans, and they still sounded good IMO.
I've been playing EMGs through a solid state amp for years and have never noticed any of these problems
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i dislike EMG's so I cant reallyhelp with advice for that but a tube or valve amp is always a better choice than solid states anyways.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I have been playing guitar for 20 + years and have many emg and blackout equipped guitars and they definitely sound great through a ss amp, I also have a few tube amps and they sound great through those as well, I think some players on here need to learn how to dial in tone correctly!! ultra high gain and bad eq makes for a shit sound on any amp regardless. get some active pups if your into metal you wont be disappointed. passive vs active is always a debatable subject its like talking to a computer nerd who loves mac over Microsoft!!
Guitar GURU
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
a tube or valve amp is always a better choice than solid states anyways.

As much as I like my stack of tube amps, this is simply not true. Your experience with non-tube amps is probably very different from mine.