With the Peavey Classic 30, if you use a good OD pedal, how much gain is it capable of achieving? If it's not too much to ask, could you reccomend a song that exemplifies how much gain it can get? Also, how are cleans? Good enough for RHCP kinda stuff?

If you've done any modifications to your Classic 30 (tube swap, speaker swap, etc...) please mention that. And also, please mention what kind of guitar and pickups you're using.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Most people say it's very similar to the amp I have, an HRD. If so the cleans should be great for the chilli peppers. I can't really comment on the gain department though
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well get some of john frusciante's equipment

his distortion is a boss ds-2

solo's are a big muff pi

but my tubescreamer helpsme get his live tones on my hot rod deluxe

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i played through one at the store with my guitar (an Epi Les Paul with Seymour duncan alnico II's) and it sounded very nice. it had plenty of gain for classic rock, and if you crank it, it should definitely be able to do harder rock (don't know about heavy metal though).

as far as RHCP, it should be fine. the cleans are very nice. very glassy and very warm, even on my les paul. i can't imagine how good they sound on a strat.

i'm sure if you push it hard with an overdrive pedal you'll be able to get into high gain territory, i recommend the boss blues driver or the ibanez tube screamer (of course).
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I have a Classic 30 and it can get a good amount of gain at low volumes. Not quite metal but like just before it. With it cranked and with an overdrive it should get some good high gain sounds. I don't have an overdrive yet so i can't really comment on that. The cleans are great! This is a great amp i recommend it.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
I know there are more of you Classic 30 owners out there! Any more input?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
I have a Classic 30, but I don't try to play metal thru it. I do get a good deal of gain out of it running a TS808 over the lead channel. I could definitely get Foo Fighters type of tone out of it.

The cleans are very nice, and certainly suitable for funk and RHCP.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have a custom fender tele, with a SD lil 59 humbucker in the bridge with a SD Hs-55 humbucker in the neck and I can get pretty hard tones with the bridge pickup. Also I am using the head version with a 412 cab loaded with clestions G12k-85. With my OD I can get pretty good amount of gain out of the amp, when I crank the amp I can get close to metal tones, with a lot more mid rangey type sound, but the gain is there. Its very much IMHO like a Marshall JCM 800 on the OD channel, without as much gain, but with a OD it really comes to life and has a little more to push it over the top. As far as bands go, this amp can do nearly any type of power metal from the 80 with ease, as for more modern high gain sounds..I could probably pull off Underoaths Thier Only Chasing Saftey album if I cranked it up with a OD, but any more then that would be asking a lot out the amp with out some type of distortion pedal.
Cleans on this amp are great, warm and full, it would be great for RHCP, BTW I love this amps OD and verstility it truly is a an awesome amp, for nearly any type of music, proabaly the best amp out there for under 1000 dollars. Get one you will be happy, as long as you don't expect to get modern high gain metal tones.
Quote by slatsmania
I have a Classic 30, but I don't try to play metal thru it. I do get a good deal of gain out of it running a TS808 over the lead channel. I could definitely get Foo Fighters type of tone out of it.

The cleans are very nice, and certainly suitable for funk and RHCP.

Agreed, although I think you can get nicer clean tones by running the gain down to almost nothing and whacking up the volume (of the dirty channel.).
I could definitely get Foo Fighters type of tone out of it

I have that much gain with out an OD, but a good example of what the amp can do with ease. I also don't play a lot of metal, but like to listen and go to shows, this amp can't do As I lay dying at all, but will do hard rock with a OD pedal.
I've gotten an Eric Johnson and a Satch sound out of the lead channel running my tubescreamer into it. And I can get Yngwie if I run my DOD through it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't planning on playing metal on this amp, some hard rock, at the most. I don't really like having mountains of gain covering up my playing.

thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Check out my profile for my MP3's. The Messin Around one is with my classic's pre gain dimed, boosted with a tubescreamer. That's basically the maximum you can get with a strat and and overdrive going into it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
dude i have a classic 50 but ill give you input anyways lol.

i can get great rhcp tones with the clean channel turned up with my bad monkey and my strats neck pickup. it sounds great for tones like "Higher Ground" and "Give It Away". I can't get it EXACTLY the same.. thats impossible... but its pretty damn close and you might like your own tone better anyways. point im trying to make is get it... its an incredibly versatile amp and you won't regret it.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Check out my profile for my MP3's. The Messin Around one is with my classic's pre gain dimed, boosted with a tubescreamer. That's basically the maximum you can get with a strat and and overdrive going into it. [/quote\]
Humbuckers and a speaker change really go a long way. I'm useing the 30 head and a 412 with celestion g12k-85, and humbuckers, and the tone that darkarbiter7 gets, I can easly get without an OD, and with even more grit. With OD i can pull off nearly any thing but modern high gain stuff with the amps OD and my OD pedal.