Honestly, my gibson is slightly easier to fret than my rg for the gibson has normal low-wide frets

Jumbo frets seem way too huge to me
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I'd definitely for the Gibson "low-wide" frets than any other type of frets any day. They're so easy to play on.
actually i dont care for fret size... dont see (or feel) a difference
only when i play chords (except power chords) do i feel a slight fret size change between my dean and ibanez.
I've got Dunlop 6000 frets on my Dean. Juicy bends! I had to kind of relearn how to play a bit though. I'd press to hard and the note would go sharp. That was a bit of a pain.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
HATE THEM...and my Strat's...to big and just...ew...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I like them, at first i hated them because i was pressing to hard and the note would go sharp. But i eventually got past that and im glad i did and got the jumbo's because i was pressing to hard in the first place so i couldnt build any kind of speed or develope a light touch unless i was forced to.... And for some reason i just like them over the small frets just seem to have better feel and it makes bending a whole lot easier and better...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 5, 2008,
I love jumbos, but I also think that they help your technique. If you're having problems with the note going sharp, you have to learn how to press lighter on the strings, which means less tension and more speed, but it also means that you gain better control over your fingers in general.

The same is true of scalloped fretboards. People say you can play fast easier on one, but it's entirely the opposite, unless you have very good control over the amount of pressure you put on the strings.

PinkEdit: ^Dang, it's too bad I didn't read this post lol, it said basically the same thing.
Whatever fret size my Ibanez is, that is what I like. My Ibanez feels perfect in every way when I play it. I tried so many guitars at guitar center, and I cummed when I picked up an Ibanez.
Thinner frets seem to be better for fast articulate playing, while the wider frets make bends easier. There is a lot of difference in the feel of the necks.
extra jumbo or scalloped frets ftw :P

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I prefer Jumbo frets. Everytime I play a guitar with normal frets I can't help thinking that they look too small...
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
I've used jumbo's, Gibson style low frets, small vintage style etc, I find that I adjust to each type very quickly and it just doesn't matter.
Quote by Teh GIR
Jumbo frets seem way too huge to me

Yeah, the only problem with the jumbo frets is playing chords on the lower frets(you might bend a note sharp) but it just gets sweeter and sweeter the higher you go up the neck.

Besides, it's a much much wiser idea then scalloping if you happen to be a thrash head, and quite frankly I'm surprised you notice that much of a difference.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I don't mind jumbo frets. My Schecter originally had jumbo frets and they were nice, but they've been filed down to about the size of medium jumbo and they're absolutely perfect for me. I don't like extra jumbo frets though.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by KryptNet
Yeah, the only problem with the jumbo frets is playing chords on the lower frets(you might bend a note sharp) but it just gets sweeter and sweeter the higher you go up the neck.

Besides, it's a much much wiser idea then scalloping if you happen to be a thrash head, and quite frankly I'm surprised you notice that much of a difference.

wouldn't it be awesome if there was a guitar with a Compound Radius Fingerboard
that starts with 7.25" and goes up to 16", and that had bigger frets the higher you go up the fretboard ?! how come this doesn't exist already, it's the best of both worlds !
Quote by The red Strat.
that starts with 7.25" and goes up to 16", and that had bigger frets the higher you go up the fretboard ?! how come this doesn't exist already, it's the best of both worlds !

hmm...perhaps the world just isn't ready.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
It takes some getting used to thats for sure. For me its easier to get dead notes or miss notes at the higher frets with jumbo frets.
I love the ones on the early Peavey necks. Big, but not really big enough to be called jumbo. Then again I'm a bassist...small frets feel wierd...lol.
Nope, no sig here.
i have tall narrow ones. 6105 or something. they're okay. i don't like them too small tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I like em' small enough to be able to feel the fret wood. The skinnier the better.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I have long fingers, jumbos don't bother me at all. Honestly I don't feel a difference from guitar to guitar, the only difference that affects me is neck radius. Chunky necks really put a damper on my groove.
Quote by The red Strat.

Jacksons have compound radius fretboards. Not that extreme though, it would cause action issues.

Also, the bigger the frets, the better.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
If the fret is really wide its a bit harder to be accurate, when the fret is narrower you have a little bit more leeway on getting clear notes out. Especially at the high end of the neck!
Quote by which ones pink
I love jumbos, but I also think that they help your technique. If you're having problems with the note going sharp, you have to learn how to press lighter on the strings, which means less tension and more speed, but it also means that you gain better control over your fingers in general.

The same is true of scalloped fretboards. People say you can play fast easier on one, but it's entirely the opposite, unless you have very good control over the amount of pressure you put on the strings.

PinkEdit: ^Dang, it's too bad I didn't read this post lol, it said basically the same thing.

+1. At first they frustrated me but I got around it and in the end improved a bit.