Okay, I'm in the homestretch here. Here are my options to replace my Gibson SG Special Faded:

1. Used Gibson Les Paul Studio In Alpine White, Ebony Fretboard, incredible amount of win. $900, might be able to haggle down to $800-850.

2. New Schecter C-1 Classic. 24 frets, neck- thru. $700.

I play through a Mesa F30, and I play a whole heckuva lot of genres. Examples:

The Beatles, Phish, Sublime, SRV, The Clash, Cream, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Buckcherry, GN'R, Eagles of Death Metal, EndeverafteR, The Darkness, Queens of the Stone Age,Iron Maiden, Metallica, Enter Shikari, Anthrax, Megadeth, As I Lay Dying, Trivium... you get the idea.

Anyway, I was also thinking about putting a SD Blackout or similar active pickup in either the bridge or the neck of the guitar a while after I buy it, for teh br00talz. If I got the C-1 Classic, I'd probably put it in the bridge, since it's got the JB in the neck. But could I put a Blackout in the bridge and put the JB in the neck? I know the usual thing to do is put the higher- output pickup in the neck, but I use my treble pickup a lot, so would it make sense to keep the JB in the neck and put the active in the bridge? What about on the LP?

Phew... I can't wait until I'm finished with this.
The LP! FTW!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Depends what year the Gibson is.
Ive heard that 90s (?) Studios are brilliant, but the newer ones are pretty bad for the money.
Meh, they're different beasts. Try them out and see which one you prefer. The Schecter has the added benefit of the extra 2 frets, if you ever use them. The Gibby has higher quality woods and hardware right out of the bat though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Meh, they're different beasts. Try them out and see which one you prefer. The Schecter has the added benefit of the extra 2 frets, if you ever use them. The Gibby has higher quality woods and hardware right out of the bat though.

I've tried them both, and I'd give a slight edge, tonally, to the LP. But like you said, the Schecter has 24 frets and is neck- thru, and I don't really know how much I'll grow to appreciate them.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I've tried them both, and I'd give a slight edge, tonally, to the LP. But like you said, the Schecter has 24 frets and is neck- thru, and I don't really know how much I'll grow to appreciate them.

I'd go with the Les Paul just because odds are, you'll probably never use the extra frets. I mean, everybody else makes due anyways. Personally, I wouldn't skimp out on tone just because this 346890 fret guitar is the same price.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My classic has always played like a dream...but I find it hard to compare an LP to it...different types of guitars.
Schecter C1 Classic
Martin DCX1E
BC Rich NJ Beast

B52 AT100
Line6 SpiderII 210
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd go with the Les Paul just because odds are, you'll probably never use the extra frets. I mean, everybody else makes due anyways. Personally, I wouldn't skimp out on tone just because this 346890 fret guitar is the same price.

H4T3BR33D3R, did you not read about the actives?
Quote by diminishedtobme

Um... you do realize that the Schecter doesn't come with actives, right?
Quote by diminishedtobme

Nope!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Um... you do realize that the Schecter doesn't come with actives, right?

No, I know that but putting them in the LP doesnt sit well with me, or did I read your first post wrong?
Quote by diminishedtobme
No, I know that but putting them in the LP doesnt sit well with me, or did I read your first post wrong?

Okay, just making sure you didn't misread anything... everyone I've talked to in person about the Schecter has just assumed that it has EMGs.

Why aren't you cool with actives in an LP?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Okay, just making sure you didn't misread anything... everyone I've talked to in person about the Schecter has just assumed that it has EMGs.

Why aren't you cool with actives in an LP?

I just think that the LP can get a good tone that suits the music you like( GnR, Cream, ect) without the EMGs thats all. I'm not trying to make it harder on you, just trying to help.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I just think that the LP can get a good tone that suits the music you like( GnR, Cream, ect) without the EMGs thats all. I'm not trying to make it harder on you, just trying to help.

Well, it's got the same pickups as my SG does, and I think it could use a little extra bite for the very high- gain stuff I play (As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Megadeth, Black Label). Still, I don't want 2 actives, so I'd be keeping one of the stock pickups.

Quote by jake911
should check out this hellraiser, it has a ebony fingerboard and Duncan blackouts.
It does have a floyd though and its white.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-BlackJack-C-1-FR-ATX-Electric-Guitar-515765-i1386633.gc

Yeah, I don't really want two actives, though.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Well, it's got the same pickups as my SG does, and I think it could use a little extra bite for the very high- gain stuff I play (As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Megadeth, Black Label). Still, I don't want 2 actives, so I'd be keeping one of the stock pickups.

Well, if you're just swapping one, why not just stick passive? There's a plethora of passives that do the same thing as the actives. That way, you don't need to swap out any pots or have the active pickup eat up the passive in the middle position.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, if you're just swapping one, why not just stick passive? There's a plethora of passives that do the same thing as the actives. That way, you don't need to swap out any pots or have the active pickup eat up the passive in the middle position.

Gotcha. Any pickups you'd reccomend?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Gotcha. Any pickups you'd reccomend?

The Dimarzio Evolution or D Activator would be pretty ideal. The Breed might be good too but I find it can get a bit flubby for plam mutes. Check out the Seymour Duncan '59s too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster