This has been asked a few times before, but none of the threads I turned up searching was able to give quite the answer I was looking for...

I am a guitar player who briefly owned a crappy bass 6-7 years ago. I tried playing it, but it never stuck, and I ended up going back to the guitar.

Now, my birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking about "investing" in some new gear. I am thinking about giving the bass guitar another try, because I would like to diversify as a musician and I miss slapping the hell out of my old one (you can't quite slam your hand on a guitar like a bass!).

Here's the thing though. If I buy a cheap bass and a bass amp for tooling around: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-ML-Metalman-4String-Bass?sku=519353
then that means I won't be in budget to get this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-Series-AF75TDGIV-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=515742
which was what I was looking at getting originally to expand on my guitar playing.

So I was wondering if I decide to "invest" and get back into the bass, will the skills I gain from practicing on the bass carry over enough to aid my guitar playing technique? Finger quickness, dexterity, application of theory and progressions, etc.....

I am not familiar enough with the bass to see right now if it's strongly related to the guitar or should be considered a wholly different animal altogether...

Any help would be appreciated!!
I'm not sure if any physical technique will carry over, but if you apply your guitar theory to bass, you can certainly learn quite a bit. Your knowledge may not expand but you will be able to approach it in a different context and see how things work together. If you like to write music, the ability to play both instruments and understand the theory from two perspectives will be very helpful. You'll also become a bigger asset to bands because you can play both instruments--if there's a bassist who can't come up with good basslines, you'll be able to help. If a band needs a bassist but has a guitarist, you can get into it with your bass playing and then sneak in some guitar into some songs or something. You'll also be able to record your own bass and guitar parts, which is very cool and is something I'd like to be able to do.

In short, yes, you will gain some skills, but maybe not physical technique-related ones, as far as I can tell.

And this is coming from a bassist who has tried to play guitar occasionally, and been terrible at it. The one physical benefit I can think of is that you'll find chords easier to get your fingers on after playing bass for a while...
As a guitarist that went to bass and dabbles back in guitar on occasion, here's my two cents (or pence).

Your timing will improve sevenfold and you will be more conscious of your rhythm section and you will tend to lock better with the overall beat.

Your theory and understanding of music will increase and benefit your playing overall. You will go for what sounds good for the song, not just your moment in the sun.

Your stretch and dexterity will increase as well as your fretting hand strength.

However, every guitar you play will feel like a toy, and boy those strings are thin and close together now.

Go for it, it will benefit you and one day, maybe you'll come over completely to the low side. Yes, its that much fun.
I play both and personally when I was learning to slap I did it on guitar, then transferred it to bass, because once I learned with the really close string spacing I can slap on anything
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Get the ibanez. You don't want a razorback bass.
The artcore is so much sexier.
I agree with Anarkee's points, also the fretboard on the bass is much bigger, so it will help build speed.
SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
Well in the terms of the actual bass, you can definitely get one better than that for the same price or about the same for less.

And yeah, general musicianship skills carry across and you learn more, but plain old technique isn't as much of a crossover as you'd expect. I mean, obviously it's not going from guitar to saxophone or anything, but it IS a different instrument.

EDIT: That Ibanez is real perty-like. I've been meaning to get myself an AG75...and I will one of these days.
That bass is crap, that guitar is one of the prettiest I've ever seen or heard. But I'd still recommend investing in a bass if you keep feeling the urge. Just get one that is actually reasonable quality. Even some of the Ibanez starter packs will provide a bass solid enough for bedroom use (I'm assuming you're primarily a guitarist), with a lot more practical and classy look and a sound that can actually be used.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
finger strength is a big one.

It also greatly improves musical sense, like rythmn and beat.
~Insert Signature Here~
I play both and I think I'm better at both for it. That Dean bass isn't great though...I'd much rather have the Artcore guitar!
it takes greater strength and stretching, all around its just a bit more of a toll physically to get what u want out of a bass. honestly, i can jam on the guitar pretty well after playing bass, the guitar feels easier, its all little, and easy to reach frets.
this sig rocks....