I have this habit of cracking my knuckles, making them sore and stiff. I have good callouses; they aren't a problem. Would scalloping the frets take some stress off of my fingers, seeing as I wouldn't have to press as hard on the frets? And don't say "Stop cracking your knuckles" because I've tried, and it seems I subconsciously do it anyways. Other methods to reduce sore fingers/knuckles would be appreciated as well.
I crack my knuckles all the time and no problems here. Just improve your technique and be more fluid. Otherwise, I don't know, see a doctor and take some Advil.
^ I only get really sore after an hour or so of straight playing...not sure, but what if in my later years I develop arthiritis? Would scalloping and downtuning make it easier for me to play without pain?
Quote by punked out N
stop being a wimp?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was a wimp. I was actually looking for help, maybe some technique suggestions to aid my playing; I can live with the soreness. I know you can't actually deliver any useful information because judging by your user name, you're a punk and lots of technique comes with downstrokes and powerchords. Good job.
hey bro, I have the exact same problem as you. I do 5 things to solve this problem that work pretty damn well because it was bothering me so bad.

1) Take daily vitamins, and eat lots of fruits and veggies
2) 3 glasses of milk a day
3) after long playing sessions I use a big gulp cup from 7-11 and fill it with fairly hot water, close to burning but not painful, and soak my fret hand in the water for 10-15 minutes. I do this about 3 times a day(this is the most important solution)
4) Take a pill called glucosamine sulfate that helps regenerate cartilage in your body, it works slowly but if you take it once everyday it helps
5) bought this thing called a powerball to strengthen up my hands and my forearms, you can get it off the internet just by googling powerball

hope this helps, #3 and 4 are the most beneficial.

oh and one more, stretch your hands(clench and expand) before and after practicing
Last edited by farcry at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by farcry
hey bro, I have the exact same problem as you. I do 5 things to solve this problem that work pretty damn well because it was bothering me so bad.

1) Take daily vitamins, and eat lots of fruits and veggies
2) 3 glasses of milk a day
3) after long playing sessions I use a big gulp cup from 7-11 and fill it with fairly hot water, close to burning but not painful, and soak my fret hand in the water for 10-15 minutes. I do this about 3 times a day(this is the most important solution)
4) Take a pill called glucosamine sulfate that helps regenerate cartilage in your body, it works slowly but if you take it once everyday it helps
5) bought this thing called a powerball to strengthen up my hands and my forearms, you can get it off the internet just by googling powerball

hope this helps, #3 and 4 are the most beneficial.

Thank you, that's the kind of stuff I need to hear, not that I'm a wimp. I was taking vitamins, but stopped. I drink alot of milk, so that's no problem. I'll try your cup method, and I've heard of the powerball, is it like a grip that you squeeze sort of thing?
no, it's a ball with a gyroscope in the middle so when you move your wrist back and forth it makes you have to counteract the inertia and it gets really hard to hold.
it makes your hands really really strong, so fretting difficult chords becomes really easy to do. It doesn't really take away the knuckle pain, but it makes it easier on the muscles.
Okay yeah, I'll give 'er a whirl. Do you think scalloped frets might help? I've been wanting to try it, and if they do offer benefits on the fingers, I think I'll go through with it.
I've absolutely no experience with playing scalloped frets, my only guess would be that it will be a lot harder to play chords, and the only guy I've ever seen with scalloped frets is malmsteen.
Hmmm, perhaps I shall revisit the Malmsteen strat at the store. Even though it's a righty, I can still kind of get a feel for it. Then I shall base my decision on this.