Hey guys, for my high school graduation my parents told me they'd buy me a laptop for college. I figure that it's not too soon to begin shopping. They said they wanna keep the price to about 600-700, but i would be able to pitch in also to bump it up to about 1000-1100. This laptop will be used for 5 years because the college I'm going to had a 5 year program with co-op's (Drexel University in Philadelphia if anyone knows of it). So some of the essentials I will need on this laptop are:

- Microsoft Office, not the crappy Microsoft works or whatever its called
- Preferably Pentium Core 2 2.0Ghz or higher, or AMD equivalent
- Minimum 1GB RAM
- I do not need any special kinds of graphics for gaming, it will be used for school.
- 160 GB HD or more
- 15" screen or larger
- Not a Mac

Can anybody recommend the best website for laptop customizing ie. Dell. Or should I just go to Best Buy or someplace and buy a pre-built one?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
For PC laptops HP is definitely my favorite. I've never really been a fan of any of Dells products.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i have an hp pavillion. its really nice.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by soul_power
For PC laptops HP is definitely my favorite. I've never really been a fan of any of Dells products.

I'm happy with my XPS system from dell, but ever since i've enrolled in an A+ certification class, i'm not buying anymore desktops
Im still very new to the world of notebooks, nobody in my family has one.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by soul_power

Same here. I <3 my laptop (HP Pavillion)
<Han> I love Hitler
i hate notebooks, the parts are mega expencive, they're too hot, even the best batterys suck and when you wanna upgrade a piece of hardware they're almost impossible to open
I've had some problems with my HP myself. Besides reliability and personal feel, everything with the same specs will run basically the same. Just go and see what looks/feels good to you at a store or something. I wouldn't worry about it having office. You can get the student edition for relatively cheap.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I was just going to reccomend a Mac then I read that. Don't go with HP, personally I have had nothing but problems. A Dell is probably the way to go for a grand. Gateway isn't bad either but those are a little more expensive I believe.
Go to Newegg and check out the Line of ASUS laptops, the G3s I believe they are. Excellent line, and they come with free bag/mouse/etc.

EDIT: Sorry, it's the F3 series.

/suicides
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Last edited by Riddler at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by freshtunes
I was just going to reccomend a Mac then I read that. Don't go with HP, personally I have had nothing but problems. A Dell is probably the way to go for a grand. Gateway isn't bad either but those are a little more expensive I believe.

It's not really that I have anything aginst MACs in general, its just that I have never really used one and I'd just prefer to buy a system with Vista which I am using now.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
honestly laptops are great for school but for anything else theyre ****. You block the fan and the laptops ****ed, it HAS to be kept on a perfectly straight surface or like i said... fan problems.

insides cant be upgraded or replaced.. they ALL get old eventualy.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
at that price an acer would be great:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire-AS5520-5912-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-AS5520-5912/sem/rpsm/oid/198152/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
don't worry about the processor being 1.90 GHZ, it's a dual-core.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
honestly laptops are great for school but for anything else theyre ****. You block the fan and the laptops ****ed, it HAS to be kept on a perfectly straight surface or like i said... fan problems.

insides cant be upgraded or replaced.. they ALL get old eventualy.

what are you talking about? everything can be replaced. Its just that you have to have needle finger tips and special tools
Advice, get atleast 2 gigs of ram. Make that your priority over getting a 2.0 processor. 1.6 processor with 2 gigs owns what you've listed.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by Riddler
Go to Newegg and check out the Line of ASUS laptops, the G3s I believe they are. Excellent line, and they come with free bag/mouse/etc.

Can anybody hook me up with a link to this? Im no newegg and can't find it.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Spydr
Advice, get atleast 2 gigs of ram. Make that your priority over getting a 2.0 processor. 1.6 processor with 2 gigs owns what you've listed.

Well I figured that any laptop i'd buy would be easily upgradeable in the memory department. RAM is one of the few things that is easy to get at and replace, but yea i know what you mean. thanks
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I've got an HP Pavilion. It seems like everyone does...

It's good, I've had no problems with it. I've always liked HP computers anyway. So I'd say go for that.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by Zugunruhe
i have an hp pavillion. its really nice.

me too. i love it. i suggest looking at HPs. they are reasonably priced for the hardware and everything they have.
HP's are nice, only had a little (but good) experience with their laptops, but my HP desktop has lasted 8 years and no problems whatsoever. I've heard good things about Asus too. I would highly recommend 2 gigs of ram for vista
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220239
This one seems like it has most of what i'm looking for, I just don't know if it's expandable to 2GB RAM or not, seems like a verrry good deal
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Is anybody familiar with turbo memory?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'm using a HP (running ubuntu, though it was running vista for most of the time ive owned it so far). Ok laptop, but its still a pain in the ass for drivers. And no real expandability. I dont like hp though, both pcs ive gotten ( a destop and laptop) have had dudparts or just not worked well. The laptop gets hotter then hell too (like untouchable)

Quote by tsk84eva
i really like my hp pavillion dv6000.
definitely recommended.

I own one to, and personally I wouldnt. For the money I paid, I want something that doesnt run so damn hot and loud.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by SoccerRM1
Well I figured that any laptop i'd buy would be easily upgradeable in the memory department. RAM is one of the few things that is easy to get at and replace, but yea i know what you mean. thanks

Easy to upgrade but very exp.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by zekk
I own one to, and personally I wouldnt. For the money I paid, I want something that doesnt run so damn hot and loud.

ah true, it does get pretty hot.
other than that, i like it.
but there's definitely better ones out there...
Quote by Spydr
Easy to upgrade but very exp.

RAM is not expensive.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe