Page 1 of 2
It was nice. My woman left the house for a while tonight. I dragged my DSL100 down to the basement and let it rip. I cant even get past 2 in the room where I normally play. It really isn't a big room so it just echo's. I was surprised at how much nicer it sounded, even at the same volume in a much bigger open area.

It seemed like 5 or 6 was its sweet spot. Well that where I liked it the best I think. At about 7 the volume seemed to almost level off and it just broke up more. I could tell I was pushing the power tubes finally. My ears still don't feel right.

I had to share my excitement. Which leads me to a question I had.

I would like to retube this thing. I have been reading that JJ's are real good. Should I just change them all to JJ's- the 4 power and 4 pre-amp tubes.

And one last thing. One of my pre amp tubes, (the one all the way to the left) has a cylinder over it. (I can post pics) What is that? is it a reg 12AX7 tube?

Thanks
I would think that it's normal. All of my 12AX7's are covered.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
yea one of them has a tube cap on my Marhsall too.

i have four Electro-Harmonix 12AX7s and JJ/Tesla EL84s.

either EHX or TungSol is ur best bet. i like'em. but JJ/Tesla 12AX7s aren't bad either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'd say Tung-Sol for preamp would do better then ehx 12ax7s. Something about ehx preamp tubes seems a bit meh. JJs would work good for the power tubes.
I have no problem spending some money, if I will hear a big difference. Is it worth it for NOS tubes?
Quote by Kino22x
I'd say Tung-Sol for preamp would do better then ehx 12ax7s. Something about ehx preamp tubes seems a bit meh. JJs would work good for the power tubes.

have u tried it? i think it's actually a bit more agressive and pretty nice...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Try the EHX tubes? yea they were the ones I put in an amp I built. They are more aggressive and higher gain but to me they seemed like they weren't as responsive as they should be and a bit compressed.
Maybe the ones I had were just bad. I like most of EHXs stuff so it might just be they were messed up or just not right for the amp.
I found RFT EL34 for $120 for a matched pair. Would those sound nice for some G&R's?
I would check out www.eurotubes.com

Bob will match you up a set and can pick out some tubes specifically for high gain.

I love opening an amp up for the first time. I do agree, the sweet spot is around halfway. Cranking it beyond that gives crazy speaker distortion which IMO isn't for me.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
sweet i get to crank mine in my drummers row home haha, poor neighbors
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
wait did he crank the clean channel? i want to do that... i'm wanting some plexi'y overdrive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ya, some times i run my effects loop into the podxt and turn it off, and its like plexi tone, just the pod is like a dummy load
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by ECistheBest
wait did he crank the clean channel? i want to do that... i'm wanting some plexi'y overdrive.

If that question is to me, then no I cranked lead 1 with the gain about half way.
keep calling her your woman and she might leave more often.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
keep calling her your woman and she might leave more often.

I can only wish!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wish I could crank my twin to 8 but by that time things are falling off the walls.
Quote by modernp
Wish I could crank my twin to 8 but by that time things are falling off the walls.

That happens to me when i crank my AC30, i scared the crap out of myself one day when everyone was out of the house and i was playing so loud that a shelf broke and everything fell off the wall, i thought i was being burgled
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by laurens666
Why retube, are you not happy with the sound?

I am more then happy with the tone I get. I really just want some nice tubes in there, even if I cant tell a difference in sound. Before I start going nuts with pedals and other toys I want to make sure my sound is going to be as good as I can get. I am also looking into a monster power filter (power strip) to feed a more steady stream of power to my amp.

Quote by modernp

If I am not in my basement it will shake my whole house too. If I am in my basement, it has cement foundation (floor and walls) so the sound does not travel like it would if I was on a wood floor or something.
Don't do it in the basement when its too cold. Any glass whatsoever in there will crack. I was playing in my friends garage, and there were 3 or 4 glass pots cracked after a good while of playing.
Real men don't need sigs.
I rattle all the windows when mama goes shopping... Hell, I'm 56 and still me likes to crank it up!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
^ What?????
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Say Ocean
I crank my Triple rectifier to 8 erreday

You see this man?? He turned it up so loud he can barely make a coherent sentence!

Good work, my man.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
You guys are making me want a tube amp.

I have a a basement, underground, and I have 5 acres, so I can crank a 100W amp if I wanted.

But I have a ****ing MG. ****!
Quote by Bossman123
That happens to me when i crank my AC30, i scared the crap out of myself one day when everyone was out of the house and i was playing so loud that a shelf broke and everything fell off the wall, i thought i was being burgled

That is insane!

The only place I've cranked one of those babies is at Guitar Center in their little soundproof room. LOUD Bastard, and sounds great too. I didn't break anything though
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I wish I could break shelves with my amp....

6W won't even get the neighbors complaining.

I know, I've tried.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I've turned my hrd up to 12, that was fun. Luckily there's no neighbors on the one side of my house.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ninja23
I am more then happy with the tone I get. I really just want some nice tubes in there, even if I cant tell a difference in sound. Before I start going nuts with pedals and other toys I want to make sure my sound is going to be as good as I can get. I am also looking into a monster power filter (power strip) to feed a more steady stream of power to my amp.

If I am not in my basement it will shake my whole house too. If I am in my basement, it has cement foundation (floor and walls) so the sound does not travel like it would if I was on a wood floor or something.

if you feel like experimenting, shoot Doug at Doug's Tubes an email. He can match up a variety of different brand preamp tubes based on what you're looking for, and carries a wide variety of powertubes that he can recommend for you based on your amp. If you want just JJ, I like Eurotubes for that.

What kind of "power filter" are you looking at? Most of the power conditioners are basically glorified surge protectors with a couple extra bells and whistles. The only thing that will maintain a constant filtered stable voltage to an amp, is an actual voltage regulator. They are usually a lot more than a regular power conditioner however.

From what I've owned, the Splawn Quickrod has to be one of the loudest amps I've had. The thing literally shakes my walls at 9:00 on the volume. The way the volume taper is though, it basically just becomes more saturated after 9:00-10:00, rather than getting a whole lot louder. It was actually moving my pantlegs the other day at 9:30.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 7, 2008,
I was trying out some different recording techniques with mine and decided to shut the closet door i have everything in (gives the room more space) and with the volume set to 10:00 oclock it shook the rafters and made the whole house resonate lol fun times... Needless to say i stopped doing that. My luck the roof would cave in and the insurance company would tell me they dont cover amplification caused accidents...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I was trying out some different recording techniques with mine and decided to shut the closet door i have everything in (gives the room more space) and with the volume set to 10:00 oclock it shook the rafters and made the whole house resonate lol fun times... Needless to say i stopped doing that. My luck the roof would cave in and the insurance company would tell me they dont cover amplification caused accidents...

I wonder if there IS insurance for that
Quote by Diet_coke_head
at eight you might as well crank it to ten, i leave my x100b on ten volume and ( generally 9 or 10 gain ) at all times and i play for maybe an hour ( amped ) a day
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
one day, my Mark III will see the light too...

it is INSANELY loud when the master is ~3!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Has anyone put a Db meter up to any of these amplifiers when they're cranked? How loud can a triple rec go? Anyone know? (that totally rhymed)
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Page 1 of 2