In a song, do you tend to grip the pick you are holding tight, or loose?

In the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC, I plan to pick it out, because I don't think i'm ready for hammer-ons yet. I'd rather pick all of it, and that's that. I don't play on changing my way to play the song yet. I've been playing for 7 months, but I guess i'm doing okay, but I just need to know.

Do you grip the pick tight or loose, and how hard do you strum over the string? I'm talking about the B string, 'cause the beginning and intro parts of Thunderstruck are quite hard to do when I keep losing grip if I'm too tight and I miss strings and pluck other strings.
Depends for me....I usually keep a medium/tight grip but that's just me...I'm known to beat the **** out of my strings when playing. (I mostly downpick)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I play the intro to thunderstruck, notably live, I put my index and middle finger over my G and E strings, so I don't accidentally hit one while I'm pulling off and hammering on.

In theory, with fast alternate picking, you should hold the pick lightly. You want it to give a little so it slices through the string without resistance.
Hm.. really? D: Alright. I'll try that..

But if I strum a little harder then actual a rich tone comes out and then it sounds whole.
It is fun playing Thunderstruck at double speed if you use two hand tapping. I think it would be much harder to pick every note than do hammer ons and pull offs; you would need to move a lot faster.
Whenever I hold the pick lightly while alternate picking it falls out of my hand. Whenever I hold the pick tightly while alternate picking I can't keep up with the metronome. Either find a balance or I'm taking the "there's no wrong way to hold a pick" advice on UG way too literal. (e.g. 3/4 of my pick is showing when I pick)
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
It's easier to hammer and pull Thunderstuck. Just use high gain and mute all the other strings with your right hand so that the amp isn't picking up neck vibrations.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
I hold it just light enough that there is some slack but tight enough where it doesn't slip. Just practice the picking, it'll just come, thats basically what it did with me.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer