I am interested in going to a music school, as that is my strong point in life. I was wondering if anyone knows how the process of enrolling in one is like. I'm thinking of going to one after getting my diploma, and I have no idea how to apply for one, what they are looking for, etc.

If anyone has gone to one or knows someone who did, please educate me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Plus... I was thinking in either teaching music or performing/producing. If they require skills in a specific instrument like in piano, guitar, etc, that would be nice to know too.
for MI you need a recording of you playing through a couple of scales, arppegios, a original song and i think a picture of you...and thats hows you apply
a picture of you?
why, they tryna keep out all the metal heads? :P
I plan on going to college for guitar. My instructor teaches at both community college and a university, and she's given quite a bit of helpful advice.

It's definitely good to be experinced in genres like Classical or Jazz. I really haven't studied Jazz, but it's excellent in helping with theory. Classical is great for learning more practicality with playing. Sight-reading is really important, because it's only been relatively recent that the guitar has been being taught like piano, saxophone, violin, etc. And sight-reading has been poorly taught up until recently.

A common misconception about guitar is that it's too difficult to sight-read with, but any guitarist virtuoso can prove that wrong. I'd definitely take some teaching classes, too.

Also, Music is a risky place to try to get a career, and I'm going to try and get a Master's degree, rather than a bachelor's degree.

But my biggest advice would be this: higher a competent teacher, maybe study other instruments like piano (I'm not saying become a virtuoso, but maybe learn a bit). Try to become very well-trained in ensemble playing skills and sight-reading. And taking Master classes also helps.
They better not dismiss metal heads. That would be very bad for me. Even though I look more like I was in a grunge band. But that's not nessicarily(sp) good either
eY3 iz teh smheartist d00D in teh howll wurld eye wyn spelign b
If you don't know the circle of fifths(for guitar) any kind of theory(any instrument) or how to read sheet music, stop while your ahead. If you know some of this stuff, get a teacher ASAP and work on it.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by shenanigans682
for MI you need a recording of you playing through a couple of scales, arppegios, a original song and i think a picture of you...and thats hows you apply

Does the genre of music matter for the original song? Do Universities accept Metal/Rock?
if you havent started learning theory yet, college will kick your ass. even in the remedial classes that you would have to take if you dont know sight reading or any theory. i thought i'd like to do that, but im much happier just playing for fun and writing my own music while learning theory on the side.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by mikedm92
Does the genre of music matter for the original song? Do Universities accept Metal/Rock?
Universites generally perfer playing something like a Lute Suite by Bach or Villa-Lobos etudes over Cannibal Corpse or Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by guitardude11
if you havent started learning theory yet, college will kick your ass. even in the remedial classes that you would have to take if you dont know sight reading or any theory. i thought i'd like to do that, but im much happier just playing for fun and writing my own music while learning theory on the side.

You won't be able to get into a music college if you can't demonstrate those skills to be studied at a college level.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by guitardude11

well its a good thing I'm learning theory right now. I learn relativly quickly I think. So probably I'll have a good amount of advanced theory in my noggin before I graduate.

Thanks for all the insight so far!
Quote by randy_rhoads83
They better not dismiss metal heads.
Metal heads are especially known for displaying excellent sight-reading/ensemble skills. And playing single-line solos on high notes doesn't impress that much.
i went to berklee.
to apply is different for each school.
pick a school and ask them.
Quote by The Madcap
...playing single-line solos on high notes doesn't impress that much.

I could imagine! I am the kind of person that would probably over do a song and drench it in exotic sounds if I could. I don't know many kids my age who are actually into jazz and classical. They find it boring. I find it fasinating(sp).
Quote by swordsrkewl
If you don't know the circle of fifths(for guitar) any kind of theory(any instrument) or how to read sheet music, stop while your ahead. If you know some of this stuff, get a teacher ASAP and work on it.

Circle of fifths and theory is the same on every instrument

Quote by mikedm92

Most universities probably wouldn't accept you if you played a metal solo for your audition. As far as I know, the more normal music schools train you classically rather than in something like metal or rock.

Quote by The Madcap
A common misconception about guitar is that it's too difficult to sight-read with, but any guitarist virtuoso can prove that wrong. I'd definitely take some teaching classes, too.

Also, Music is a risky place to try to get a career, and I'm going to try and get a Master's degree, rather than a bachelor's degree.

But my biggest advice would be this: higher a competent teacher, maybe study other instruments like piano (I'm not saying become a virtuoso, but maybe learn a bit). Try to become very well-trained in ensemble playing skills and sight-reading. And taking Master classes also helps.

It is hard to learn to sight read on guitar.

You usually have to get a bachelor's first.

Agreed with the last bit. At the music school I went to, you were required to take 4 semesters of piano (or test out of it).

The process of enrolling is basically this:
Send application, sign up for audition, go to school, audition, wait. You'll find out in a couple months whether or not you got accepted. Audition requirements vary from school to school.

At the music school I went to, you had to have a concentration instrument if you're doing music education. So you'd be learning music education, but you'd also have to be learning whatever instrument your concentration is.

I hope this may have helped, it's not very well organized as I'm kind of busy at the moment, but yeah...
Quote by chea_man
i went to berklee.
to apply is different for each school.
pick a school and ask them.

Well what did you have to do for Berklee?
Most college music programs are jazz and/or classical oriented. Almost no school will take you seriously if you want to only study rock or metal or any other contemporary pop music.

If you really want to go that route, then Berklee seems to be your best option. Although many people on here desires to go to Berklee, they don't realize that Berklee isn't the holy grail of music schools. It has its shortcomings and disadvantages. Nonetheless, it is one of the only schools that will take contemporary music seriously.

If you want to major in performance, my suggestion to you is to study jazz or classical. If you still have a year or three before colege, you'll have a decent chance at widening your school options (other than Berklee) if you work hard at it. Who knows, maybe you'll even end up developing a serious passion for jazz or classical. Either way, you definitely need that experience if you want to study music in college.

For music pedagogy, you need classical training and background. So again, you have to study the formal stuff now if you want to persue any music field in college.

Composition majors are also expected to study instrumental music in the style of jazz or classical. On top of composition interviews, you have to audition for your principle instrument. So again, you won't get away with playing metal or rock in that major either.

And don't take this the wrong way. Most colleges just don't see contemporary music as a valid academic subject probably because it has no standard and is too varied and informal to be taught. You can still be a metal head if you want, but you do have to hit the books as well.

I, myself, am a current high school senior who is applying as a music composition major to about 8 schools, including Berklee, Hartford (and Hartt), UIUC, PSU, UMD, and others. I've read the requirements and details for every school and have dedicated this entire school year thus far to applications and preparation. Trust me, you're not hearing these advices from someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Most college music programs are jazz and/or classical oriented. Almost no school will take you seriously if you want to only study rock or metal or any other contemporary pop music.

If you really want to go that route, then Berklee seems to be your best option. Although many people on here desires to go to Berklee, they don't realize that Berklee isn't the holy grail of music schools. It has its shortcomings and disadvantages. Nonetheless, it is one of the only schools that will take contemporary music seriously.

If you want to major in performance, my suggestion to you is to study jazz or classical. If you still have a year or three before colege, you'll have a decent chance at widening your school options (other than Berklee) if you work hard at it. Who knows, maybe you'll even end up developing a serious passion for jazz or classical. Either way, you definitely need that experience if you want to study music in college.

For music pedagogy, you need classical training and background. So again, you have to study the formal stuff now if you want to persue any music field in college.

Composition majors are also expected to study instrumental music in the style of jazz or classical. On top of composition interviews, you have to audition for your principle instrument. So again, you won't get away with playing metal or rock in that major either.

And don't take this the wrong way. Most colleges just don't see contemporary music as a valid academic subject probably because it has no standard and is too varied and informal to be taught. You can still be a metal head if you want, but you do have to hit the books as well.

I, myself, am a current high school senior who is applying as a music composition major to about 8 schools, including Berklee, Hartford (and Hartt), UIUC, PSU, UMD, and others. I've read the requirements and details for every school and have dedicated this entire school year thus far to applications and preparation. Trust me, you're not hearing these advices from someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

UMD as in university of minnesota duluth?
Quote by randy_rhoads83
Well what did you have to do for Berklee?

Berklee auditions are much more flexible to your individual styles. You can play a rock or metal song, preferably with accompaniment (live accompaniments or recordings, ipods, etc). You have to be able to play basic scales in any given key, which is easy once you know the pattern.

However, there are tens of thousands of metalheads applying to Berklee, so you really have to be able to distinguish yourself from mediocrity.

Quote by randy_rhoads83
UMD as in university of minnesota duluth?

U of Maryland

Also, every college has a wesbite. Most of these college websites also have a dedicated Music department section, where it will have its own applications and requirements and deadlines. You can get all of the information there. Just google your colleges of interest.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^^Probably Maryland.

In case you were wondering about me, I applied French horn performance to Rice, Eastman School of Music, University of Michigan, Peabody Conservatory, James Madison University, Shenandoah Conservatory, Boston University, George Mason University, and Indiana University.
Oh, I forgot to mention. Some schools require you to know piano for composition or pedagogy. So, just a heads up there.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The Madcap
Universites generally perfer playing something like a Lute Suite by Bach or Villa-Lobos etudes over Cannibal Corpse or Jimi Hendrix.

Its odd that isnt it....
I auditioned for UNSW and got into music education, the pieces I played were Bach's Prelude BWV999, and an original composition, which was basically a latin backing track simmilar to Al Dimeola's style, and played crazy shreddy stuff over the top.... Alot of universities like to see diversity in someones playing....
Seriously tho no university will really respect you if you cant even basically read music.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I guess I'm lucky that I can read sheet music just fine. But I have mainly read it in bass clef, so I have to get used to reading treble. Also I need to take up piano again it sounds like.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^^Probably Maryland.

In case you were wondering about me, I applied French horn performance to Rice, Eastman School of Music, University of Michigan, Peabody Conservatory, James Madison University, Shenandoah Conservatory, Boston University, George Mason University, and Indiana University.
Damn dude, nice choices. I applied to Indiana and Eastman as well. Haven't heard from Eastman, but I didn't get into Indiana, which was understandable. If you got in, I kiss the ground you walk on.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Why don't you start by finding a particular music school, or schools, that you would like to attend and then ask them for their admission requirements and process ?

There are some schools, like Juliard, that have reputations for being extremely selective and there's your local community college that will take anyone who is willing to pay.

A better question for UG would be "in your opinion what are the best music schools or colleges with the best music programs ?"

Once you decide what school you want to attend they will be able to give you all the details as per their requirements.