So a little over a month ago I posted a topic with a video asking if I had the right picking technique. I found out that my technique was far from it. Since then, I've changed my technique. I've gotten used to this new way of picking, and I want to make sure before I go any further that I'm doing it correctly. I made a new video. Here it is. I remember being asked to play an actual solo or song instead of just chromatics, so in this video i'm playing this solo I wrote. I apologize for the quiet sound. I recorded it with a computer mic and webcam. i made a couple small mistakes, but it's nothing major.
The way I used to hold the pick was between the pad of my thumb and pointer finger, like this. I thought that was the correct way to do it, but then I found out I was wrong. When I switched, I found anchoring a lot harder than not anchoring. I don't know if it is better than anchoring, but I do know that the veteran guitar players here recommend not anchoring.
Last edited by Spamwise at Feb 6, 2008,
I wouldn't get too hung up on it, man... there are many great guitar players who pick with vastly different styles. My only comment would be that you look a little tense in your picking arm, but that doesn't mean your technique is flawed, just that you need to learn to relax more in my opinion.

This may be unrelated, but ever since Paul Gilbert put out that "how to pick the right way" vid, everybody is going crazy adjusting their picking to Paul's style. This isn't good; it works for Paul because he's Paul. If you don't have the same dimensions as him, like hand size, it might not be best.

Al DiMeola, Steve Morse, Marty Friedman, Michael Angelo Batio, Vinnie Moore... all great players, all use very different picking styles. Pretty much anything can work if you put the time in, you just have to be able to analyze yourself and find what works best.
yeah that's a good point. I guess it's much easier to imitate someone else than to try to figure out what's best for the individual. It's just I have difficulty knowing if I am doing something that is actually wrong or that what I'm doing will work out in the long wrong. thanks for the reply .anyoen else have any thoughts?
Quote by WhyteChocolate
I wouldn't get too hung up on it, man... there are many great guitar players who pick with vastly different styles. My only comment would be that you look a little tense in your picking arm, but that doesn't mean your technique is flawed, just that you need to learn to relax more in my opinion.

This may be unrelated, but ever since Paul Gilbert put out that "how to pick the right way" vid, everybody is going crazy adjusting their picking to Paul's style. This isn't good; it works for Paul because he's Paul. If you don't have the same dimensions as him, like hand size, it might not be best.

Al DiMeola, Steve Morse, Marty Friedman, Michael Angelo Batio, Vinnie Moore... all great players, all use very different picking styles. Pretty much anything can work if you put the time in, you just have to be able to analyze yourself and find what works best.

+ 1

to Spam: I think you pretty much have it. I think relaxing and focusing on the music may be your best bet. ( analyzing your technique is good.... just dont make it your sole focus )

keep in mind that if you post here, there will pretty much ALWAYS be someone that will say what your doing is wrong. In some cases youll learn something, in others it may actually be detrimental as you try to change what you do naturally to conform to someone elses opinion of what is right or wrong.

That being said, I think you did the right thing in changing your pick grip.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by WhyteChocolate

You know why people got hung up on changing to PG's picking style? Because he is the fastest pure alternate picker in the world right now and his technique is pretty much perfect.

Steve Morse is a terrible example because he has CTS from playing the way he does; he has to undergo about 2 hours of heat therapy before he can play.

Marty Friedman is a bad example because his technique is built around his style: heavy arpeggio and legato use therefore it is limited to that style; if you can play like his and pull off a Petrucci style picking run I'd like to see it.

MAB...terrible, he's got good economy of motion but his anchoring prevents him from doing any string skipping unless it's tapped.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To me, it sounds like you don't have enough control over your dynamics. I can barely hear you when you play faster, but sometimes you hit the string quite hard and produce a loud sound.. I would watch out for that, it sounds sloppy. And try and find your vibrato
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You know why people got hung up on changing to PG's picking style? Because he is the fastest pure alternate picker in the world right now and his technique is pretty much perfect.

fastest in the world?? is this documented anywhere ? what do you mean by perfect?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
fastest in the world?? is this documented anywhere ? what do you mean by perfect?

Yeah, the fastest guitarist thread in the shred forum; it's a pretty comprehensive list and while he's not the fastest on the list if you include sweeping tapping and the like he is the fastest pure alternate picker there.

Please don't bring the "No such thing as perfect technique" discussion here, it's already overtaken the other thread so let's leave it there.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, the fastest guitarist thread in the shred forum; it's a pretty comprehensive list and while he's not the fastest on the list if you include sweeping tapping and the like he is the fastest pure alternate picker there.

Please don't bring the "No such thing as perfect technique" discussion here, it's already overtaken the other thread so let's leave it there.

LOL to the fastest guitarists thread.

Look hes incredibly fast. Are there others that fast? yes im sure there are.

and you should be able to define perfect. There has to be some sort of criteria for that, otherwise the word is meaningless.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
and you should be able to define perfect. There has to be some sort of criteria for that, otherwise the word is meaningless.

I can but refuse to here, I will in the other thread if you still want me to.

Spamwise, you're not bad at all but try branching out from simple pentatonic stuff.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ouchies
To me, it sounds like you don't have enough control over your dynamics. I can barely hear you when you play faster, but sometimes you hit the string quite hard and produce a loud sound.. I would watch out for that, it sounds sloppy. And try and find your vibrato

yeah, because the mic is on the pc and I had the volume low. normally the notes are all the same volume.

Spamwise, you're not bad at all but try branching out from simple pentatonic stuff.

thanks, and lots of it isn't pentatonic..
*rewatch*.....*head slap* Try paying attention next time Zaphod...

Anywhoo, yes, it's pretty good actually, nice and clean, good economy of motion but I would like to hear: 1 - everything you're playing 2 - You improv over a backing with your improved technique.

Kudos on the improvement.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
rewatch*.....*head slap* Try paying attention next time Zaphod...

Anywhoo, yes, it's pretty good actually, nice and clean, good economy of motion but I would like to hear: 1 - everything you're playing 2 - You improv over a backing with your improved technique.

thank you I'll be doing a recording of the full song soon. I can link you to it if you want.

I need to work on my improv to be honest. I used to be really good at it, but then I didn't practice it for a while and it's not that good anymore.