I have had this new Ibanez RG for maybe a week, and decide to do a little lube/cleanup job on the floating trem system. I was examining the knife edge (Edge III trem), and noticed that the silver coating (not sure what it is, exactly) had chipped off quite a bit on both edges where they contact the trem posts, and i was able to peel small chips off with relative ease. how common is this? it has me worried :/

I also examined the trem posts themselves, and they have a fairly deep groove in the bottom of the "V". here is an approximation done in paint:

are they supposed to be like that? both trem posts look pretty much the same, and it looks fairly uniform, like it was machined that way. should i just lube it up and put it back together, or buy new trem posts?
honestly. nothing against edge III trems but they arent great trems.
i'd just replace the entire trem with an original edge trem.
That's normal, its not really powder coated or anything so dont be expecting too much. The knife edges may gradually eat up the trem posts but it'll stop at a certain point. So just use it like normal and if it goes out of tune, retune it back again.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
That just confirms the Edge 3 is a porly made trem. Badly plated stainless steel. If you have really only had it fo a week id take it straight back personally as just think how it will degrade over the next year or 2. Not a good sign at all.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^ agreed. if it's happened this early, use that as an excuse to get your money back.

unfortunately i didn't have enough wit to get my money back for my lo-trs (forerunner of the edge III), and it was longer than a week too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?