I am thinking of a circuit that is somewhat like this:

Basically, a 1w class A tube amp with your usual 12AX& + EL84 (maybe some other power tube), pass through a power attenuator or something to line level, be fed to a class D power amp. Due to the low wattage, the iron needed would be low; thus, in theory, it would provide best of both worlds: a tube tone with lots of volume, and much lighter weight.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that it is STILL a hybrid with tube preamp and SS power amp.

Question is: why wouldn't that work?
Quote by Jestersage
I am thinking of a circuit that is somewhat like this:

Basically, a 1w class A tube amp with your usual 12AX& + EL84 (maybe some other power tube), pass through a power attenuator or something to line level, be fed to a class D power amp. Due to the low wattage, the iron needed would be low; thus, in theory, it would provide best of both worlds: a tube tone with lots of volume, and much lighter weight.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that it is STILL a hybrid with tube preamp and SS power amp.

Question is: why wouldn't that work?

It would work. Your design is actually what some upper class attenuators do - use a reactive load to reduce the load down to line level and then feed it into a totally clean power amp.
Most hybrids rely on 'tube' distortion coming from the pre-amp stage. If you set the amp up with a tube pre and power amp, then you'd be getting all the tube tone, while still being free to adjust the volume without losing it.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I've actually experimented with that configuration. Not the exact tube types, but I used preamp tubes running into a very low-power tube section, class A. The secondary of the output transformer was connected directly to the input of a class D amp. It sounded good, but not that great. I could achieve decent clean and over driven sounds, but it lacked the depth and harmonic nuances that a regular tube configuration provides.

I played around with resistor and capacitor values as well as using the different output impedance taps with the class D amp. Nothing I came across ever produced "the tone."

I'm definitely done experimenting, but it's been awhile since I've meddled with it.