Page 1 of 2
hey guys,
just out of curiosity... do you all of Stevie's guitars (apart from number one) supported bass frets? be interesting to know... I wonder if there is a site where it has all this info on all his guitars
wait... what?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Stevie's main guitar supported bass frets or frets around that size... and i was just wondering if anyone new if his other guitars supported big frets or whether they were just standard frets fender supplied
supported? You mean sported?
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
They were bass frets I think. On the reissues they put Dunlop 6000 frets.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yep, i know what u mean
i have one- tone and sound is rich- but the frets are wide and high. maybe he had jumbo hands.
Quote by danohat
But you mean "sported"

Does it really matter man? You don't need to go around correcting people's grammar. So long as you can read it, it doesn't really matter.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Does it really matter man? You don't need to go around correcting people's grammar. So long as you can read it, it doesn't really matter.

The guy was using the wrong word entirely, I think it's right to correct him so he does not further make the mistake.

I couldn't understand him.

The guy was using the wrong word entirely, I think it's right to correct him so he does not further make the mistake.

Well, sure, it's fine, but the point was already made and someone had corrected him prior.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Habit Zero

haha

hey guys,
just out of curiosity... do you all of Stevie's guitars (apart from number one) supported bass frets? be interesting to know... I wonder if there is a site where it has all this info on all his guitars

=

Hey guys,
Just out of curiosity...did all of Stevie's guitars (apart from number one) support bass frets? Would be interesting to know...I wonder if there's a website where it has info on all of his guitars.

If you couldn't get that out of his post, you are a complete simpleton . Asking if the neck is supported bass frets? Sounds ok to me.

Answer: I believe that only #1 had bass frets fitted into the neck. The others had regular or bigger fret wire, but not bass frets.
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
haha

hey guys,

=

Hey guys,
Just out of curiosity...did all of Stevie's guitars (apart from number one) support bass frets? Would be interesting to know...I wonder if there's a website where it has info on all of his guitars.

I believe we now know he meant 'sported', not supported. Supported doesn't make much sense, after all, it's not like Stevie's necks came from Mars, they were standard Fender necks mostly, mirite?
Yeah. My favorite Spice Girl is Supporty Spice. That wouldn't make sense either.
Sorry.
I'm done now.
Quote by Habit Zero
I believe we now know he meant 'sported', not supported. Supported doesn't make much sense, after all, it's not like Stevie's necks came from Mars, they were standard Fender necks mostly, mirite?

Sported them as in:

"I am sporting these new shades"?

Like...the fashionable term?

yukindarite.

Quote by danohat
Yeah. My favorite Spice Girl is Supporty Spice. That wouldn't make sense either.
Sorry.
I'm done now.

High as tits
My favorite SRV song is Texas Flood. I love Stevie. My guitar room is decorated with Stevie art, pictures, and one picture that has a 3-d replica of "Number one".
The man was an amazing player. He deserves a monument if there isn't one already...
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
There is one in Texas.

I already have plans to go see his monument for my senior trip. I also get to go to the chicago blues fest later this year.
Super excited. I'm gonna get so many pictures.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by chea_man
despite popular beleif, none of stevies guitar ever had bass frets.

where d'ya get that from ?!
man blues is so big but its just not in the public eye at the moment.... god dam i hope it does one day
It will turn gay if it becomes popular. I love it just like it is. Big amongst guitarists and blues fans. Thus remaining pure.
Imagine if MTV or VH1 could have cashed in on Stevie. Disgusting.
Maybe we could hear Stevie samples in Tupacs music. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he has to stop making records.
No, none of stevies guitars had bass frets. Number One had .11" wide by .047" tall fret wire. Not bass frets. Also stevie used anywhere up to .022's not just .013's.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
In fact, here is a bunch of stuff on Number One, in case anyone wants to know. Most of this info came from either personal research, or research done by Jerome Chatelin.

Acquired in 1974 from Ray Hennings Heart of Texas Music.
Body was a '63. The replacement neck after the original was broken was a '62. Stevie refers to the guitar as a 59 because the pickups were '59.
Neck was a "D" size, the largest Fender made.
Neck adjustment was .012" relief at the 7th and 9th frets, leveling out the remainder of the fingerboard.
Fret Wire: .11" wide by .047" tall. Not bass frets.
Fingerboard was veneer rosewood. Radius is flatter than standard vintage 7.25" radius due to multiple refrets.
String height was high. At the 12th fret: 5/64" on the treble E, 7/64" on the bass E.
String Gauge: GHS Nickel Rockers . 013, .015, .019 (plain), .028, .038, .058. Stevie would use .011's when his fingers were sore. (Note: Stevie has been known to use up to .22's)
Saddles were vintage replacement saddles, not matched, modified to increase the angle of the string break over the contact point to reduce string breakage.The strings were also run through a small piece of plastic tubing from inside the tremolo block hole beyond the saddle contact point to reduce string breakage.
Nut was Fender-style, but made of bone.
Tremolo was a stainless steel fender. Graphite and grease lubricant was used on all moving parts and contact points. The lefty bar is non original to the guitar. Stevie used all five springs. Stevie broke at least 10 of these custom lefty bars made for him.
Pick up height was very high on the treble side, and a medium height on the bass side.
Original tuning machines.
Pots were stock Fender 250K. In the last tone position was a "push push pot" to cut down on hum, a dummy coil to prevent buzz, and different valve capacitors to preserve the original tone.
The Replacement neck came from "Red". It was used once the original neck couldnt take any more refrets. This neck was then broken when a sound baffle fell on it after a show. After that it had a new Fender neck on it, until Stevie died, and then the original was placed back on it.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by darkarbiter7
I already have plans to go see his monument for my senior trip. I also get to go to the chicago blues fest later this year.
Super excited. I'm gonna get so many pictures.

That would be amazing, have fun! I hope to do that one day as well.

Quote by chea_man
despite popular beleif, none of stevies guitar ever had bass frets.

Quote by FendermanOC
No, none of stevies guitars had bass frets. Number One had .11" wide by .047" tall fret wire. Not bass frets. Also stevie used anywhere up to .022's not just .013's.

I am pretty sure they did...I have the book "Cought in the Crossfire" with a lot of info coming from Stevie himself as well as his guitar tech, saying he had bass frets from a standard fender jazz bass put into the neck.
High as tits
Look I don't know how to prove it to you but, I have talked to Rene Martinez myself, and no bass frets were ever used. This info also comes from Cutter Brandenburg, Stevies road manager. It is published in his book. I own Caught In the Crossfire, and i don't remember anything about that, but I know for a fact, and i am completley positive, that bass frets were never used. Caught in The Crossfire isn't the most accurate book. There are multiple innacuracies in the book, including specs for some of his guitars. A lot of it is exagerated "cheesed-up" writing as you can tell. A lot of the book is just filler, geussing what was going on in stevies head.

EDIT: I don't really care what frets his strats neck had.

Either way it sounded great.
High as tits
Yes, because everyone on this board is a 12 year old who doesn't leave their house. It's not like he is an untouchable celebrity he has a website where you can get his e-mail. Anyways, i don't need to make you believe me, I could care less if someone thinks that Stevie Ray used bass frets.

^ You read what you wrote, i assume?

Quote by FendermanOC
Yes, because everyone on this board is a 12 year old who doesn't leave their house. It's not like he is an untouchable celebrity he has a website where you can get his e-mail. Anyways, i don't need to make you believe me, I could care less if someone thinks that Stevie Ray used bass frets.

Read what I wrote? I don't understand...I didn't read what you wrote...

I changed my post before you even posted this one above. I was listening to Jimi and he said "Peace and love and all that other good ****" so I though 'there is no point in arguing over a forum" .
High as tits
^FOUND IT

And I quote.

"No particular brand or size of fretwire - the tallest bead and smallest tang that would fit in the fingerboard without damaging it. They were not bass frets."

Quote from Guitar World 9-97 interview of Rene Martinez by Andy Aledort.

The site its on is

http://www.stevieray.com/gear.htm

There you go everyone
Quote by hawk5211
^ as backup, none of stevies guitars had bass frets, and ill try to dig that site up that i read it on

Quote by hawk5211
^FOUND IT

And I quote.

"No particular brand or size of fretwire - the tallest bead and smallest tang that would fit in the fingerboard without damaging it. They were not bass frets."

Quote from Guitar World 9-97 interview of Rene Martinez by Andy Aledort.

The site its on is

http://www.stevieray.com/gear.htm

There you go everyone

...Nobody cares anymore. It doesn't even matter what fret wire he had. If I believe it was bass fret, and it isn't, who cares? It's just something I want to believe, because I have heard it somewhere. Even though Rene says it wasn't bass fret wire, who's to say Stevie never owned a guitar with bass fret wire in the neck.
High as tits
Quote by FendermanOC

ok you seem a little distressed I used it not only cause i read it but also can be and exaggerated term to emphasis that he used big frets.... I'm aware that it is a fairly big debate whether Stevie used bass frets or not. Many people believe many don't, in fact i read in magazine that Stevie's number one supported bass frets (in other words frets big enough to be bass frets
Page 1 of 2