Ok, I just got a Randall RG50TC and the gain is pretty nice but i still need it to get heavier.

It's almost into modern high gain territory but not quite there, so i'm just wondering, should i get an od pedal to drive it harder and heavier or get an eq pedal to boost the treble abit?

and which od or eq pedal would you recommend?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Errr from youtube clips it can get really high gain, enough for modern metal, the od will get it there but maybe the eq will help you get the sound you really want :P
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

I would go with an EQ dude. If you're looking for a signal boost, an EQ like the MXR one has a slider on the left that adjusts the overall level of the guitar. Simply put that all the way up to boost your signal enough for lead playing. I guess you could do this with an OD also, but an EQ gives you the added benefit of being able to play with the tone, whereas most OD pedals will actually change your tone a bit.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
EQX100000!

Get an MXR!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
i would go for both......use the eq to shape your tone and then use overdrive for a lead boost.........which one to get first? if you're playing rhythm for now then go with eq.....if you need lead boost now then go with overdrive....if you can afford em both, get em both
i'll probably be able to afford both but i'm also in the market for a modulation pedal, so i guess i'll try the eq first, then an od.

can anyone suggest a good od?

i'm pretty set on the mxr ten band for an eq. or will the 6 band do? the lack of a volume knob/slider kinda concerns me.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I'd say the 10-band the level and gain control is nice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
does the gain level add gain or has it got something to do with input gain control?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer