I have played many years but never used a Tubescreamer. I don't need it for gig volumes, I am looking for something to drive the power tubes at bedroom levels, so I don't have to rely so much on pre-amp distortion. I have a 50 watt tube combo.
Will the Tubescreamer cause power tube distortion at bedroom levels or just effect pre-amp tubes? I really don't need more pre-amp distortion.
Thanks for all replies.
Tubescreamers are basically overdrives that emulate the sound of an overdriven valve amp, so yeah it'll produce an overdriven sound at lower amp volumes.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by add45
Tubescreamers are basically overdrives that emulate the sound of an overdriven valve amp, so yeah it'll produce an overdriven sound at lower amp volumes.

+1 you said it all
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by add45

From what I've understand, you've said the pedal sounds like an overdriven amp. The topic starter wants to overdrive his power amp, not simulate the sound of an overdriven amp.

But yeah, I think using the TS as a booster (high amounts of volume, drive almost zero'ed) would work.
i think it'll either (depending on how it's set) drive your preamp tubes harder, or else its own chips will overdrive. i don't think it'll make your power tubes overdrive at low volumes, in other words. but i could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Dave that's kind of what I thought. Well I might still get one for my jam sessions when I can play louder.
yeah. i guess it's possible that when the volume is being pushed, more into the preamp tubes would also translate into more into the power amp tubes. but at low volumes, i don't think so.

could be wrong of course- maybe try asking in the ultimate tube thread? i tend to know just enough about tubes to get the wrong end of the stick a lot of the time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At low volumes it simulates tube amp distortion. At higher volumes, with the level and/or gain boosted on the pedal, it will push the power tubes further into OD. The amp has to be close to overdriving on it's own first for that result.

That's also when it's at it's best.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
that's what i figured. thanks slats.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by uldhppi
So Slats you think it might be useful at bedroom volumes?

(yes i know i'm not slats )

it'll emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, but it won't push your power tubes at bedroom volumes. that's what an attenuator can do though.
Quote by The red Strat.
(yes i know i'm not slats )

it'll emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, but it won't push your power tubes at bedroom volumes. that's what an attenuator can do though.

Exactly what I was going to say.
Hi, I'm Peter
A quality OD pedal will sound great at low/bedroom volumes, and I think it's a more practical solution for everyday practice than an attenuator.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It will get you more gain at bedroom levels and tighten your tone. It will push the tubes a little more but you will have to crank the level and it'll end up being louder.
Quote by slatsmania
A quality OD pedal will sound great at low/bedroom volumes, and I think it's a more practical solution for everyday practice than an attenuator.

Aggreed. Usually more affordable, too.