I bought a 5-string recently thinking it would be alot more versatile, but i really havent found a use for that extra string yet =\

i play in a metalcore/punk/alot of stuff band (the members have a broad range of interests)

so help me out here =]
i play 6 string and let me tell ya, i've seen so many 5 string bassists who don't use the b string, but it doesn't mean you suck at life, its just simply hard to incorporate, espesically in metal.

Now, unless your guitarist has a seven string (which my lead does), you'll find it hard to work with him when writing something for the b string, and further it might not be very easy/useful to incorporate into e minor (which is pretty much 80% of rock and metal). If you know your modes, try writing in c major/a minor or d major/b minor.
Does it matter?
I write all the **** anyways =]
ESP M-201
Crate CR-280
Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal
youre right
if taking the exact same riff and translating it to bass counts as writing =]
Double Phail
ESP M-201
Crate CR-280
Quote by Megadeth122
youre right
if taking the exact same riff and translating it to bass counts as writing =]
Double Phail

Because all bassists lack the ability to make their own riffs, unless octaving really is best for the song, in which case it is good writing.

Try expanding your current scales to 2 octaves with only 1 hand position change. Very useful. Might be playing on higher frets, but you get much more availible in ne position.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you can't find a way to incorporate your B string and play anything AT ALL above the 2nd fret of your A string, you're lying.

Do you ever play a D note? Open D string? 3rd fret of the B string?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Atsuu
i play 6 string and let me tell ya, i've seen so many 5 string bassists who don't use the b string, but it doesn't mean you suck at life, its just simply hard to incorporate, espesically in metal.

Now, unless your guitarist has a seven string (which my lead does), you'll find it hard to work with him when writing something for the b string, and further it might not be very easy/useful to incorporate into e minor (which is pretty much 80% of rock and metal). If you know your modes, try writing in c major/a minor or d major/b minor.

it supposed to be easier for metal if you have a low B especially.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by Atsuu

Ummm...??? This is just one 5-string player and avid metal listener's opinion but I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The 5-string fits easily into metal. The thundering low B is used in many metal songs.

The point of a five string is not the extra four notes. It's the economy of motion and single position double octave scale patterns that come with it. A 5-string is meant to make playing easier and open up more tonal options.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I play worship and it especially useful when going with a piano, it also eliminates having to go to drop d most times.
Quote by corrylb19
I play worship and it especially useful when going with a piano, it also eliminates having to go to drop d most times.

it saves alot of going to drop d unless the band does alot of open or pedal tone riffing in drop. and using the low b can make things sound heavier and darker if needed.
Quote by corrylb19

I play in a church too and I always get a copy of the piano's sheet music and they tell me to play the bass part. Typically it goes as low as the Low B and rarely(but sometimes) to a low A. A five string would be so handy for that. But I cant afford one. I usually just bump everything up an octave and its just as effective. I've though about stringin a bass BEAD instead of the standard EADG, but haven't bought the strings.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Five strings are about the low B - Eb as much as they are about having more notes in one hand position. Start playing two octave scales starting on the B string.

You don't have to go lower than the E, use the fifth fret of the B instead of the open E, or start learning songs in drop D.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Paperback Hero
I bought a 5-string recently thinking it would be alot more versatile, but i really havent found a use for that extra string yet =\

i play in a metalcore/punk/alot of stuff band (the members have a broad range of interests)

so help me out here =]

You've probably not reached the stage in your playing life that has progressed to a 5 stringer or maybe you haven't yet got an amp that will handle a bottom B but If you play long enough you will want both.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
tune your bass (low to high)

A D A D G

now think "okay anything i would do in drop D between the "normal" A string to the high D string i know have the option of playing it a whole octave lower if i want to"

also when your guitarist is plaing on the A string you now can follow him even lower

if you tune B E A D G
you can now use the B string for ergonomics. now you dont have to slide al around from 5th fret to 9th fet to 2nd fret on the E string you can now incorperate the low B string to keep hand position changes to a minimum.

this is just somewhere start you really have to get creative your own self and try diffferent things out.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Yeah guys, Paperback plays in Drop C
ESP M-201
Crate CR-280
for drop C use

G C G C F
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E