I'm in high school and I'm in a band that wants to go into the studio to record a demo and get known locally. My question is, should we record a demo first, or just go straight into recording an ep or cd. Also, how would we sell our music? Physical copies, digital copies? Should we try to find an indie label to release our cd? Thanks in advance.
If you're still in high school it'd be a lot harder to sell it digitally, because few kids possess credit cards. So release physical copies. And what do you view the difference being between a demo and a first EP? They're both just a few songs to showcase the band. Aaaand if it's easy for you and they WILL do it, then get an indie label to release it.

And good luck.
We thought we lost you;
Welcome back.
thanks. How would we sell physical copies though? Should we just sell them to people that we know, or should we try to sell them over the internet too?
I'd say write a few good songs, and get shows before anything. A demo or ep should come later.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
Should we just sell them to people that we know, or should we try to sell them over the internet too?

Sell them to anyone wanting to buy one, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to sell or advertise them through a band website or even a myspace site.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
get into bars and clubs
im sure ppl can hear u there
after you gain some fame an ep or dmeo comes naturally
cheers and good luck
but people won't buy the cd unless they've heard you first. try and get in some support slots at your local venues. i'm not sure where you're from but in England most independant cd retailers will sell your cds and take like £1 per copy. you sell your music digitally on iTunes (go on their website) and on amazon too, there's another website too... i think it's called "cd baby".
Some venues need demos to allow a band to do a gig there,

what my band did was get in touch with some sound engineer students and get them to record us for free, it was great! I dont know if thats possible where you live but its worth looking into
how about this, we record a three song demo, get some shows, and then release a cd? I just don't know how to go about selling a cd. sell them directly to people we know, sell them over the internet somehow, sell them on myspace? I have no clue.
Jimmy: Hey, 4seampowerchord your band is pretty tight how much for a CD?
4seampowerchord: $5.00
Jimmy: I'll take one, here you go

*Jimmy hands 4seampowerchord 5.00, and 4seampowerchord gives Jimmy a copy of the CD*

Congratulations you just sold your CD. I don't see what your confused about.
Quote by Shirate
I'd say write a few good songs, and get shows before anything. A demo or ep should come later.

This man speaks the truth.

Most recording studios won't give your songs a proper looking over UNLESS you can prove you're well known and confident.

Live shows can bring this on.
I guess what i'm asking is after we start playing shows and record an ep. how do we sell the ep to people that can't come to the shows because they live elsewhere. for example how do i sell eps to people in other states when we're in illinois.
start a myspace page for your band and say you have CD demos for sale, when they send you a message though email you take a paypal payment (though your parents account or something since you're still young to get a PP account) and then when they send you a payment you ship a CD though the mail to them.

I'ts not that hard...
and yes I agree you should do shows first before doing any type of demos.

If you look around hard enough I'm sure you'll find some places who will let you play.
A lot of people around here get tight with local bands, who in turn get them gigs supporting them. Try that to get your music out there.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by take_it_t
Jimmy: Hey, 4seampowerchord your band is pretty tight how much for a CD?
4seampowerchord: $5.00
Jimmy: I'll take one, here you go

*Jimmy hands 4seampowerchord 5.00, and 4seampowerchord gives Jimmy a copy of the CD*

Congratulations you just sold your CD. I don't see what your confused about.

lol
Quote by Shirate

This is how all the local bands I have recorded have gone about with a fair bit of success. You need a demo to put up on myspace, or such so that venues and booking organizations will have a chance to hear you, however, I wouldn't go all out and pay for a full album to be recorded just yet as you are fledgling band.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Shirate

+1

Get what shows you can without providing a demo tape. Try and find out what songs people like the best. Work on those and record those as demos. 2 songs maybe 3.

I'm clueless as far as distribution of music. Besides the internets....

DS
i think we'll record 3 songs with a tascam mf-p01 that i can borrow from a friend. then, we'll get our music on myspace and try to get some shows. we'll the mf-p01 be good enough just to get some songs up on myspace. I know its not obviously gonna be anywhere near studio quality but, will it boe good enough?
Any mic will record a song. Hell, a video camera does it as well but investing in some proper mics and basic recording equipment will help things sound a bit better.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps
Peavey 6505+ with Marshall 1960B
Crate Powerblock with CRT412

Visit my blog at My Blog
dont expect CD quality from a cheap analog recorder but yea it will work.
you will also have to feed the output from eh recorder into your computers line in at the end of recording which may destroy your sound even more.

you could best off with a small interface for a computer or laptop to even do myspace recordings...

a small 4 track like the one you are looking to use is not enough to record any more than 2 instruments IMO...
A dmeo is like a rough recording you can give to venues or companies to give them an idea of hwat you sound like, whereas an EP is like a mini album with good quality songs that you would actually sell.

I think that's right