I have been playing the electric guitar for a few years and I'm now considering to do some grading. However, I just found out the there different organisations for grading. I'm thinking doing either RGT or Rock school which both does grading on electric guitar. I'm just want to know what is the difference between RGT and Rock School and any advice on grading.

Thanx
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
I have no idea about the RGT things, but the Rockschool grades, at least for bass guitar, are pretty basic.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
its surpirsing how easy it is to pass a rock school one, same with RGT guitar is strange in the fact it doesnt take that long to get really good at it compared to other instruments, like it took me about 5 years to get to grade 5 on trombone, and im at grade 5 alredi after a year and a bit of guitar
Actually I'd recommend the Rockschool books, it made me notice I had gaps in my skill - I could fluently play all the pieces, but I was completely lost when i had to improvise to chords in the solos! So yeah, great grounding blocks!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Rockschool grades are incredibly easy (new guitar teacher has to make me do some so he can stay teaching) but make sure you have every little bit of technique down properly. I haven't tried RGT.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
RGT seems to be more about the theroy of it all and learnin scales and modes etc...

think RGT actualy overrall is a higher thing and if u wer to go to uni etc then it would count for more but btw the things arnt cheap for entering you exam =[
they never are, the asociated board ones for regualr instruments are like 40quid a pop of rthe absic ones and about 100 for grade 8 sometimes depending, and no rockschool is accepted as equal level, but yes it doesnt hold as much weirght on theory but thats cause guitar is very unique in the fact that you dont atchally need theory to a huge extnet, i dont no this fro sure as i no alot of theory from other musical interstes and i may be just thinking soemthings as given facts not theory but yeh
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
RGT seems to be more about the theroy of it all and learnin scales and modes etc...

think RGT actualy overrall is a higher thing and if u wer to go to uni etc then it would count for more but btw the things arnt cheap for entering you exam =[

I do feel RGT are somehow higher thing than rock school. However, I been to the RGT website and realised there not many RGT teachers around my area it seems most guitar teachers in my area teach rock school stuff.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Rockschool early grades are ridiculously easy. Grade 3 can be obtained within a few months of picking up a guitar
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Katfury
I do feel RGT are somehow higher thing than rock school. However, I been to the RGT website and realised there not many RGT teachers around my area it seems most guitar teachers in my area teach rock school stuff.

You have to pay to join the RGT, and it isn't really worth it. I've yet to join and i'm doing okay without them. Ring up tutors in your area and ask if they teach the RGT syllabus and i'm sure someone will do it.
i agree that RGT grade 8 covers more than Rockschool grade 8 in theory areas, but i feel that Rockschool's Ear Test is harder than RGT. it is much easier to recall RGT's Ear Test melody than Rockschool's. RGT's melody is short, easy to remember, and you don't have to play back the melody along with CD backing like the one of Rockschool. RGT's Ear Test on chords is also much easier than Rockschool's. RGT's chords has no extension at all and you are only to identify the last two chords by hearing, whereas of Rockschool, there are many complicated chords with extention, and you can't identify them at all such as D dominant 7 flat5. besides, you have to pay attension to the way of chord struming also. by the way, can anyone teach me how to improve in chord recall and melodic recall of Rockschool Ear Test??????
Both Rockschool and |LCM (rgt ) grades are excellent sources of learning for guitarists academically .
If you were to study rockschool pieces and technical exersizes QSP and so on they would all definately help you with the RGT grades and in the same gesture RGT grades will further develop the skills of improvisation which helps you get extra marks in a rockschool grade , Its a WIN WIN situtation .
I Just wish rockschool had a Tutor database like RGT
My rockschool exam was on a stage with a backing CD which was cool ,
BUT rgt exams tend to be with the examiner playing along with the student like in a guitar lessons , this is also cool in different ways .