how do you keep tapping clean?

ive made quite an effort to not hit the strings next to the strings that im tapping so they dont ring, but now that ive managed that, it seems that wasn't what was causing the noise. ive also been watching kiko louirerueueirioer (yeah him) and it doesn't seem as though he uses his palm at all when he's playing his big tappy deals. so whats the technique?
I was about to post a similar question

I would like to know too, someone please help
Whether you actually hit the other strings or not, they're still going to ring when you tap the fretboard that hard. Palm muting all the other strings is essential.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Maybe you're hitting the strings too hard.
That tends to sound like crap.
Maybe you're not pulling off correctly, or on.
Try practising mroe with a clean effect, get better.
Do you have a video of it somewhere?
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
also, one source of noise often overlooked is hitting some strings (usually e and a) with more force than the others. Make sure you're adjusting the force of each tap so that each note rings out more evenly. Except for the distance between strings, I found that tapping on my bass for a few weeks gave me much much better clarity and control when going back to guitar.
Also, it could be making a bit of a buzzing noise if you're making very long distance taps.

Like, if you tap onto 15, and pull of to 3, then pull of to 0, to might get a bit of a buzzing sound.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
A way to cheat is to put a hair band up on top of the first fret to help mute the strings. Alternatively, use the neck pickup. While I am normally against this, for tapping it gives it a little more punch, and it tends to sound smoother.
i knew about the hairband thing, i saw someone on a video doing it.

i might be hitting the strings too hard, it never seems to sound as loud as when im picking and it irritated me, since my tapping sequence is the intro to a song, and as soon as the drums kick in, no bugger can hear it.

i may be able to make a video, i just got a new phone. i'll post a new thread with it on if i can
Quote by CJRocker
A way to cheat is to put a hair band up on top of the first fret to help mute the strings.

Quote by one vision
Take an elastic and put it over the strings at around the first fret it's kind of cheating but it gets the work done. Assuming you're not gonna use the open strings.

While this is very usable in a studio environment where you just want to cancel ANY unwanted sounds for a recording, using this to get better at tapping itself, doesn't make you any better at all. You're hiding the symptoms rather than fixing the problem.
I turn up my noise reduction just a hair, use both pickups and the second channel (the third channel is too much for tapping). I palm mute the low strings and try to work with the high strings as best as possible.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM