A thread for all the people who think that a reasonable person leaves law enforcement and protection of state and citizens to the authorities (after all, they get paid for it).
Please just post a comment even if you don't have much to add so we know how many people here are against arming themselves.

... I dunno guys, but everytime I get to know someone who keeps a dozen rifles in his house for "protecting the family", I kinda get the impression that he's a raving lunatic.
Anyone agree?
or maybe they like to collect? think its fun to shoot at targets with different powered rifles? jihad?
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
Quote by (...)
or maybe they like to collect? think its fun to shoot at targets with different powered rifles? jihad?

Rofl
I'd imagen some people think your a lunatic for not owning a gun. Depending on what part of the world you live in.
I can't believe guns are still legal in the US. If they were banned it would solve sooooo many problems. Imo. By the way I can't be bothered to argue about it.
there just guns. you can kill someone with virtually anything. The people who have a dozen corpes in there house are the ones I THINK are nutty
The presumption that ownership of firearms is for the sole purpose of self-protection is as ludicrous as the individual that only owns firearms for self-protection.
I hunt. I own several firearms. All used for hunting.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I woudn't really be comfortable in a house filled with guns, to be honest. But then, I'm not in a country with gun laws like that, so I don't really need to worry about it.

Not to offend any gun owners (Really, not to offend any gun owners ) but people with lots of guns creep me out...and guns in general i find distasteful, Don't know why you want one.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Let's say guns are outlawed.
A criminal will still find a way to get a gun, you know it.
I'd rather be able to protect myself.
...some people like to hunt?

that is fine with me. One or two guns are okay, a whole arsenal is not.

or maybe they like to collect?

Collecting is okay, too, but many of these so called collectors also own enough ammunition to conquer a small country. That's what scares me the most. They don't say "look at my precious collection!" but instead they say "look at my br00tal firepower!"

think its fun to shoot at targets with different powered rifles

meg, kinda don't think this is a valid reason.
I don't know why anyone wouldn't want a gun in case of a zombie invasion or something.

But seriously, I think it'd be perfectly fine to havea few guns in the house for hunting, collecting, or for protection. As long as they're locked up in a safe you should be fine. Better safe than sorry.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by TheQuailman

Collecting is okay, too, but many of these so called collectors also own enough ammunition to conquer a small country. That's what scares me the most. They don't say "look at my precious collection!" but instead they say "look at my br00tal firepower!"

...and exactly how many people do you know who:

1-Own +10 guns.
2-Have a stockpile of ammunition for each gun (and no, I don't just mean a few rounds or one package of rounds per gun, I mean the quantities you're describing.
3-Say "look at my br00tal firepower!"

?

I would venture a guess...that guess being 0.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
I'm gonna laugh when your house gets robbed in the middle of the night, your family gets hurt, and you realize that you could have easily stoped it if there was a handgun in your house.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I still don't think you need a rifle for self protection. I don't know anyone who ones a gun or would consider buying one.
And I have a hard time believing that the criminals in the US are so damn violent that you'll need a gun for self protection.
Think about it: If someone robs you, they will not hurt you until you start fighting them. If you attack them with a gun, your most likely to get killed by them.
Quote by TheQuailman
I still don't think you need a rifle for self protection. I don't know anyone who ones a gun or would consider buying one.
And I have a hard time believing that the criminals in the US are so damn violent that you'll need a gun for self protection.
Think about it: If someone robs you, they will not hurt you until you start fighting them. If you attack them with a gun, your most likely to get killed by them.

Move to Philadelphia for 6 months. Then try saying that with a straight face.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by TheQuailman
that is fine with me. One or two guns are okay, a whole arsenal is not.

meg, kinda don't think this is a valid reason.

Simple solution for you sir. Don't own any firearms. Your opinions are yours. One or two are ok? What about 3 or 4? I own 5. Does that make me a nutcase? Or does the fact that I have little or no ammo at the moment make me a collector?
Target shooting is not a valid reason? Tell that to the IOC. Shooting is an Olympic event in both the summer and winter games. If you care not to participate in the activity that's fine. No one is going to put a gun to your head.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.

1-Own +10 guns.
2-Have a stockpile of ammunition for each gun (and no, I don't just mean a few rounds or one package of rounds per gun, I mean the quantities you're describing.
3-Say "look at my br00tal firepower!"

?

I would venture a guess...that guess being 0.

what is your point?
Quote by TheQuailman

what is your point?

My point is that you're making gross exaggerations.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by TheQuailman

Shoot first, ask questions later.
They aren't going to kill me, 3 or 4 rounds from a decent handgun back me up on that.
Quote by TheQuailman

You would be surprised. My step mom is a homocide detective for Tampa, and they keep her pretty busy. A large amount of the murders she has to investigate are a result of a nasty jerko attacking an unarmed innocent for whatever reason.

It's quite sad, really.

EDIT: And up in Jacksonville, my aunt knows a LOT of hunting fanatics, and not one of them has a single ill intention. They are all great people. It's just a sport. Yes, there are obviously gonna be a few sicko hicks who stockpile firearms just for the sake of stockpiling firearms and wouldn't hesitate to shoot the next kid who steps within 20 feet of their yard, but humanity is riddled with idiots. Take away their rifles and they will simply learn how to throw a ninja star.
Last edited by mafropetee at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by mafropetee
You would be surprised. My step mom is a homocide detective for Tampa, and they keep her pretty busy. A large amount of the murders she has to investigate are a result of a nasty jerko attacking an unarmed innocent for whatever reason.

It's quite sad, really.

That pretty much covers it. My sister lives in Philly, and after 1/2 of her neighbors got robbed last year I bought her a shotgun. Some guy broke into her house about a month lather, realized she was armed, and ran the hell away.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
hahem.....

thank you
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Simple solution for you sir. Don't own any firearms. Your opinions are yours. One or two are ok? What about 3 or 4? I own 5. Does that make me a nutcase? Or does the fact that I have little or no ammo at the moment make me a collector?
Target shooting is not a valid reason? Tell that to the IOC. Shooting is an Olympic event in both the summer and winter games. If you care not to participate in the activity that's fine. No one is going to put a gun to your head.

okay, I get what you mean.
Though not everyone is going to be so reasonable about it. In fact, I believe many people with guns are willing to shoot someone, even if they are not sure if he means harm to them.
Let me clarify this: They won't run around and shoot everything they see, but do it even if theres a only slight possibility that they might by attacked.
In Norway we generally don't have armed police. People are only allowed to have guns if they practise target shooting or are in the military/police. It is very hard to get a license for an automatic gun unless you have a very good reason for it.

In Norway, he don't have a lot of murders where guns are used.

And yes, some criminals get guns, but they don't tend to shoot people for no reason at all.
Quote by sock_demon
May I remind you of a certain amendment that allows people to bear arms.

We JUST went over the Bill of Rights in my American Government class today lol.

But then, the OP does have the right to free speech and expression.
My point is that you're making gross exaggerations.

I do not doubt that there are people with only few guns.
But I do not doubt that there are crazy lunatics armed like rambo as well.
Quote by sock_demon
May I remind you of a certain amendment that allows people to bear arms.

Oh well I guess the entire world better get on board and follow some Yankee constitution.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>