i'm kinda happy with my clean sound, but my strat has a very distinct sound IMO and i'm not sure if i love it or not. sometimes i do, sometimes not...

my strat has the stock 'custom shop' 57/62 pickups and i'm wondering what the thoughs on these pickups are.
if it appears that the pickups aren't too good, i might upgrade them.

thanks
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 6, 2008,
Get Rock Monkeys.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
He isnt asking our opinion on them so he can buy them, he is asking our opinion because he already has them, they came on the guitar, its the CP50s if im correct.

BUT, as they said, if you do decide to upgrade, Rockmonkey Pups are the way to go.

HakEdit: I have the CP50s as well, IMO the pups are pretty good, definatly much better than any other stock PUP that you get on similar priced guitars, but I understand what you are saying. If they werent in the guitar I wouldn't consider getting them. I also considered changing my pups, but then I thought 'is it worth the money paying for better pickups when the current ones are reasonably nice themselves'
Last edited by Hakanku at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by Hakanku
He isnt asking our opinion on them so he can buy them, he is asking our opinion because he already has them, they came on the guitar, its the CP50s if im correct.

BUT, as they said, if you do decide to upgrade, Rockmonkey Pups are the way to go.

yes exactly, i already have them. no, it's an american vintage actually
i'm just wondering if the pickups are good, becuase if they are, i know my 'weak link' and i can upgrade them. if it turns out they're fine, then i have to search for other ways to improve my tone...
Quote by The red Strat.
yes exactly, i already have them. no, it's an american vintage actually
i'm just wondering if the pickups are good, becuase if they are, i know my 'weak link' and i can upgrade them. if it turns out they're fine, then i have to search for other ways to improve my tone...

Fair enough, im pretty sure the CP50s has the same PUPS though, so my verdict counts :p
are they the same ones as on the classic players 50s/60s strats? if so, i'd agree with reasonably nice, but i'd wager you could get better.

whether it's worth the extra, only you can decide really. but if you already have a nice amp etc. etc., i guess you have nothing to lose. sometimes the extra couple % improvement can be the difference between "good" and "great".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are they the same ones as on the classic players 50s/60s strats? if so, i'd agree with reasonably nice, but i'd wager you could get better.

whether it's worth the extra, only you can decide really. but if you already have a nice amp etc. etc., i guess you have nothing to lose. sometimes the extra couple % improvement can be the difference between "good" and "great".

The '60s have Custom Shop '69s, but yes on the '50s.

Rockmonkey looks pretty good, go for them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
You could probably sell them to someone looking to upgrade a squier or something like that. Would help you get another set.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Hakanku

HakEdit: I have the CP50s as well, IMO the pups are pretty good, definatly much better than any other stock PUP that you get on similar priced guitars, but I understand what you are saying. If they werent in the guitar I wouldn't consider getting them. I also considered changing my pups, but then I thought 'is it worth the money paying for better pickups when the current ones are reasonably nice themselves'

So they are the '57/62s? That settles that one.

I don't think they're anything special. They're nice, yes, but that's all. What exactly is it about your tone that you're finding you don't like?
Quote by rhcp_freak

Rockmonkey looks pretty good, go for them.

They sound good too. I bought some, exactly what I asked for.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Denthúl
So they are the '57/62s? That settles that one.

I don't think they're anything special. They're nice, yes, but that's all. What exactly is it about your tone that you're finding you don't like?

my bridge pickup is waaaaaaay too trebly, even with presence and treble at 0 on my amp .
and my neck and middle pickups give this distict sound (especially the neck pickup) that sounds... erm... metal-y (the metal kind, not the music genre ). it's hard to describe, and i'm not sre if i like it or not. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. it sounds pretty bad for a solo in a full band for example.
i feel my clean tone is a bit lacking overall, but i don't know what my 'weak link' is.
Tubes, perhaps? It's a longshot, but I swapped the stock tubes in my Blackheart (some random chinese tubes) to JJs and the cleans got way better.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
^^ Metallic? D'you have new strings? How close is the pickup to the strings? What value pots and cap do they use in that guitar?

If it sounds that bright, something is seriously wrong there somewhere.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^^ Metallic? D'you have new strings? How close is the pickup to the strings? What value pots and cap do they use in that guitar?

If it sounds that bright, something is seriously wrong there somewhere.

maybe metallic isn't the right word... ahh it's hard to explain.
no, they're a month on the guitar already, and i know why you ask that it's not that kind of sound.

erm... i don't know the pole pieces differ from height to each other so it's hard to say.

i have absolutely no idea... all i know is they're stock. i googled a bit but i can't find anything about the caps and pots.

i think so too... it's ear piercing with normal settings... even with unusual settings.
what do you think it could be ?

thanks for the responses everyone !
Maybe try lowering the treble side of your pickups. I had to do that on my bridge to cut some of the treble. Now I hardly ever have to use the tone knob since I rarely get too much treble now.

Another thing that hasn't been suggested is an EQ pedal if you don't already have one.
they're already quite low
you have a bridge tone knob ?

yeah i might get that, but it's not normal to have so much treble on the bridge anyway...
Yeah the jimmie vaughan come with the tone wired to the bridge and neck with the middle wide open. I much prefer it this way and it's a common mod.

Maybe try raising the pickups then and leaving the bass side slightly higher.

i know that.

that as a response to "Maybe try raising the pickups then and leaving the bass side slightly higher."
Oh, duh. Well if the bass is higher than the treble side it should eliminate some treble though the guitar as a whole will be a bit louder. It's always worth a try, because if it works it's much cheaper than new pups.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Oh, duh. Well if the bass is higher than the treble side it should eliminate some treble though the guitar as a whole will be a bit louder. It's always worth a try, because if it works it's much cheaper than new pups.

hmm ok i'll try it, thanks