Page 1 of 2
I'm currently fixing up a guitar, and I need to buy a Floyd Rose. I'm looking for top notch here...in other words, I want to be able to destroy that thing like Vai does and have it stay in tune. Could anyone give me the best type of Floyd Rose to buy? I heard the original was a good one, but I just want to be sure...

Thanks
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Floyds are good...however the new lines of Trems coming from Ibanez are VERY impressive. Check into the Zero Resistance tremelo
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Hmm, personal preference really I'd say... There are low profile tremolo's too and you may answer this question as well, Would you like to have a Push In Arm or a Screw In?
I hear a lot of good things about the Edge models. I just can't seem to find where to buy them...the Zero Resistance one does look really cool though...does that stay in tune alright?
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Yes, yes, and if it wasn't for the fender there would be no floyd, and without the standard bridge no fender....
It's called evolution. Improvements based on original flaws. Hell, even Floyd Rose improved his original design...a couple times in fact.
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Quote by flesh fries
I hear a lot of good things about the Edge models. I just can't seem to find where to buy them...the Zero Resistance one does look really cool though...does that stay in tune alright?

Yes it does.

I abuse my trem to the limits and i stay in tune 99.9% of the time (Y)

Edge Pro is also a good choice
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I've also heard good things about the Schaller and Gotoh (I think it was Gotoh, anyway) LFRs, so those are slightly less expensive options.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
kahler are back in production
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by DSOTM80
Original Floyd Rose

End of thread

Yep. Best build quality, longest lasting, proven, and easy to work on/get parts for.

EDIT: Though in terms of the best WORKING and the most useful, the Steinberger TransTrem wins far in and away.
Quote by CJRocker
Yep. Best build quality, longest lasting, proven, and easy to work on/get parts for.

EDIT: Though in terms of the best WORKING and the most useful, the Steinberger TransTrem wins far in and away.

Until the knife edgeswear out and theZR and other ball bearing pivot trems are still working.
Edge Pro

or Lo-Pro Edge
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Kahler has the best locking trems ever made in my opinion. They're a lot easier to change the strings with than a typical floyd rose, and if you're getting one installed, the kahler takes much less routing than a floyd rose.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
How are the new Edge Zeros? Are they better than the Edge Pros they're replacing?
Quote by DSOTM80
Original Floyd Rose

End of thread

I hate people who say “end of thread” or its many variations thereof. They’re normally wrong. You aren’t wrong, per se, but you aren’t telling the whole story, which in effect is giving bad advice (IMO).

OFR, Gotoh, Schaller, or ibanez edge or lo-pro edge are all good. best if you can try as many of those as possible to see which you prefer. For every person who says the OFR is best, there’s another to say the edge is best, or the Schaller etc. (actually, there probably isn’t, but that’s likely more to do with the ubiquity of the OFR than anything else… much like people who don’t know much about guitar think that gibson are the best… anyway, I digress).

Where to try these:

caparisons have schallers.

jackson/charvel/high-end kramers etc. have OFRs.

second-hand ibanez rg1550s/1570s and higher have edges or lo-pro edges. Might be hard/expensive to get one for a project though.

Musicman guitars, i *think* have Gotohs. Or at least, they're identical without the Gotoh name on the front of them.

Kahlers are probably worth a look too, though I'm not too experienced with those.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I believe the Kerry King signature with BC Rich has a Kahler trem. I just remembered that I saw that in Guitar World at some point.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
ive heard of a schaller OFR
on a carvin catalog
i guess that wiouold be better since its made in germany and not china
OFRs are made by schaller too, i think.

a "schaller OFR" is just likely an OFR. the schaller one has "schaller" stamped on it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ORIGINAL and don't bother with any other types of bridges. I don't care who makes em. I play my guitar for weeks without having to retune ad doing dive bombs to the point where the strings touch the humbuckers and are so loose I sound like slipknot. IMO they are perfect.
Quote by CJRocker

agreed, although a khaller would require less routing. but then again if hes already got the routs done for a floyd and not a standard bridge then an OFR would run him less then schaller.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
For traditional Floyd designs I'd say the Ibby Edge and Schaller Floyd/"OFR"

Low profiles would be the Floyd Pro, Ibanez Lo-pro and Ibanez Edge Pro

And ball bearing designs would be the Kahler and the ZR

Edge Zero hasen't been around long enough to be completely trustworthy, though I am sure it is great.
The original is the best(in my opinion)
the trem vai uses is the edge pro, so its a good buy too
and the ZR trem is good too

the 3 best option if you are looking for a trem
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Kahler's are the best trems, but if you want the best floyd (recessed, double locking) then go with the original or a schaller
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
if i just read the title im thinking pink
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Haha, 2 of my "guitar fiends" are convinced that the Edge 3 is "an incredibly awesome trem", and that "OFR's suck" .

I've tried telling them, posting links of their crappiness, amongst other things.
Also, they have NOT tried one(I have several times), ever, they just assume they're amazing.

One of 'em is my buddy, he's 'Schwing55' on here, and he's considering selling his Schecter Damien FR to get an Ibanez with a Edge 3 .

He doesn't believe me....so, I guess it'll be his problem....

/strange rant
original or schaller.

stay away from kahlers, they go out of tune when you bend so you have yo dive to get it back
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Ibanez Edge for a number of reasons.

-Excellent build quality
-Replaceable Knife Edges
-Locking Studs
-Pop-In Trem Arm
-Countoured Edges on the saddles

Hell Vai uses the damn thing, and yes you can find parts for it.
www.ibanezrules.com

OFRs pale in comparison to the Edge. Then you get the Lo-Pro edge which is still superior to the OFR in every way and it's much more ergonomically and aesthetically pleasing.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Until the knife edgeswear out and theZR and other ball bearing pivot trems are still working.

I haven't seen too many OFRs wear out... I seen plenty of 30 year old units still working.

EDIT: For what its worth (pardon if I sound like Ed Roman a bit here)...
-Who cares if Vai uses the Edge? He had an OFR on his Green Meanie. He uses the Edge as its in Ibanez, thats all.
-Gotoh makes/made the Original Edge and Edge Lo Pro afaik, unsure about the rest
-The difference between Schallers and OFRs are more than the name; Schallers use pot metal baseplates with hardened steel inserts and a different plate design with shortened lock bolts, wider bolt spaces, and intonate slightly differently due to the base plate design
-ZRs aren't anything new. They basically are what the Lo Pro is to the Standard Floyd Rose. Likewise, they use cheap metals on them as the design means it will last longer
-And I HATE when some one says something is better due to its looks, which is the difference between the FR and the Edge.
-You could argue the FRs screw in arm is much better than cheaper pop in, as by using the nut, you can have it rest where you want.
Last edited by CJRocker at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by CJRocker
-ZRs aren't anything new. They basically are what the Lo Pro is to the Standard Floyd Rose. Likewise, they use cheap metals on them as the design means it will last longer
ZRs are pretty novel if you consider that just about every other guitar manufacturer uses an OFR as their high end trem, and a cheaper OFR copy as their low-end trem. There's no radical design difference between the OFR and the LoPro, but there is a radical design difference in the ZR, and not just in the way it pivots. Although the concept of ball bearing tremolo with free tension adjustment dates back to the early 90s and the Parker trem, it's Ibanez who made it popular and accessible. Good for them.

Kahlers are not a type of Floyd, they're a Bigsby on steroids. I really wonder why anyone would consider it a "best" trem. They look cool, but eh, they got four string friction points versus one on a Floyd, and other issues.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
ZRs are pretty novel if you consider that just about every other guitar manufacturer uses an OFR as their high end trem, and a cheaper OFR copy as their low-end trem. There's no radical design difference between the OFR and the LoPro, but there is a radical design difference in the ZR, and not just in the way it pivots. Although the concept of ball bearing tremolo with free tension adjustment dates back to the early 90s and the Parker trem, it's Ibanez who made it popular and accessible. Good for them.

Kahlers are not a type of Floyd, they're a Bigsby on steroids. I really wonder why anyone would consider it a "best" trem. They look cool, but eh, they got four string friction points versus one on a Floyd, and other issues.

I compare a Kahler to a ZR. The ZR is also a modified Kahler. Some like the feel of them more, though I think the Kahler is smoother than both, despite its limited range. The ZR is a refinement of it really, and was intelligent enough to be double locking instead of (Except for a few exceptions) single locking, and cut down on the mechanical parts, plus it uses a standard FR nut. But in theory, it is very similar to a Kahler.

EDIT: A Kahler is as much of a "Floyd" as any locking unit. Floyd Rose to me defines more of a a theory of a guitar tremolo than a specific type. they all work the same way: By locking the string at the nut and (most of the time) the Bridge, it creates a much more stable environment for the string, making it much less likely to go out of tune.
Quote by CJRocker
I haven't seen too many OFRs wear out... I seen plenty of 30 year old units still working.

EDIT: For what its worth (pardon if I sound like Ed Roman a bit here)...
-Who cares if Vai uses the Edge? He had an OFR on his Green Meanie. He uses the Edge as its in Ibanez, thats all.
-Gotoh makes/made the Original Edge and Edge Lo Pro afaik, unsure about the rest
-The difference between Schallers and OFRs are more than the name; Schallers use pot metal baseplates with hardened steel inserts and a different plate design with shortened lock bolts, wider bolt spaces, and intonate slightly differently due to the base plate design
-And I HATE when some one says something is better due to its looks, which is the difference between the FR and the Edge.
-You could argue the FRs screw in arm is much better than cheaper pop in, as by using the nut, you can have it rest where you want.

-When Vai was using the green meanie the Edge didn't even exsist. Niether did the Jem for that matter.
-Gotoh does manufacture them. Gotoh makes high quality ****
-Do you have any idea of what the ZR is?
-I said it had a lower profile and actually feels better and the fine tuners don't get in your way. The looks are just a nice plus
-It's preference

BTW you're dumb.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
-When Vai was using the green meanie the Edge didn't even exsist. Niether did the Jem for that matter.
-Gotoh does manufacture them. Gotoh makes high quality ****
-Do you have any idea of what the ZR is?
-I said it had a lower profile and actually feels better and the fine tuners don't get in your way. The looks are just a nice plus
-It's preference

BTW you're dumb.

-Edges came around about '85, so yes it did exist then.
-Wasn't talking down Gotoh, just listing it as a fact that people don't know. I like their stuff and have Gotoh parts of several of my guitars.
-Yes I do. Different take on a Kahler.
-And thats all it is, preference. Doesn't make it better. You also described a like for Lo Pro trems, which is not exclusive to Ibanez.
-Yes it is

BTW, you must be socially insecure if you call people dumb as you don't like what they are saying.
Last edited by CJRocker at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by CJRocker
I compare a Kahler to a ZR. The ZR is also a modified Kahler.

<snip>

-Yes I do. Different take on a Kahler.

Have you ever seen a Kahler? Or a ZR to that matter. ZR is essentially a Floyd with a ball bearing pivot. Kahler is essentially a Bigsby with adjustable saddles. The two are about as similar as an airplane and a helicopter. Sure, both are technically aircraft.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Have you ever seen a Kahler? Or a ZR to that matter. ZR is essentially a Floyd with a ball bearing pivot. Kahler is essentially a Bigsby with adjustable saddles. The two are about as similar as an airplane and a helicopter. Sure, both are technically aircraft.

I have seen and used both. They work very similar. The Kahler uses a Cam and Ball Bearings. The ZR cuts out the crap and uses just Ball bearings. Both load and fine tune in a similar fashion, and arguably in the ZRs case, more efficient, fashion. So yes, they are very similar
Page 1 of 2