Page 1 of 2
I would choose the Eclipse II with a set of Seymour Duncans. It'd be versatile as hell, and reliable (ESP QC is supposedly one of the best).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
ESP Eclipse easily.

+ Jap made
+ High end ESP!
+ Mahogany body
+ Seymour Duncans / EMG's (can't remember which, or could depend on finish?)

As opposed to the Gibson Les Paul Studio which I hear is a bit of a hit and miss as it's one of Gibson's low end guitars.
ESP, the quality and value for money will be ten times that of the Gibson.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
ESP, the quality and value for money will be ten times that of the Gibson.

+1
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
i dont like ESPs they arent erally my style id go wth the lp studui even though the studio sucks. mabeye a LP Standard double cut?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
ESP all the way. The quality, sound, and playability is way better on the ESP than on the Gibson.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Esp
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
yah you should make it fair and give us a good g ibson or give us a bad ESP the studios are bad.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
first off, studios arent as good as LP standars, and i think an eclipse would be better than a standard, but even if im wrong, its still SOOOO much better than the studios, plus...its an ESP and ESP will melt everyones face off
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!
ESP all the way. The quality, sound, and playability is way better on the ESP than on the Gibson.

+1
My Gear

-ESP Eclipse II Snow White
-Gibson Flying V (White with black hardware, EMG 81's, black diamondplate pickguard)
-LTD Truckster
-Peavey XXX head, Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Traditional Cab
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
first off, studios arent as good as LP standars, and i think an eclipse would be better than a standard, but even if im wrong, its still SOOOO much better than the studios, plus...its an ESP and ESP will melt everyones face off

I don't see how they aren't as good. They are exactly the same, minus the appointments. Both guitars have mahogany bodies and maple caps. I mean, if you swapped out the pups and drop the same pickup set from the Standard on the Studio, (Burstbuckers or whatever they put on them now) they would probably sound very identical.

Back on topic, I'd go with the Eclipse. It's pretty much got better everything. Better hardware and stuff right off the bat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stanleybach
+1

I agree....

Ive got an ESP Eclipse II and it craps over every Gibson LP Studio ive played... If you get it with the Seymore Duncs instead of the EMG's you get an extremely versitile guitar, capable of virtually any tone... Not only that, the neck is great, nice and thin, but not too thin, very user friendly and comfortable guitar.... All in all miles ahead of the Gibson for the price....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by uldhppi
When ESP is only a memory Gibson will still be rockin.

I hope so. Because they'll still be overpriced so we get to have more of the smaller companies making awesome guitars for a fraction of the Gibson price.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!

People who play metal always say this because they see their hero's like Hamett up there doing their **** carrying the ESP brand, NO, ESP is factory made crap, they get the best models, the ones 3gs +, the cheap knockoff trucksters and kh-'s suck @ss, never get one.
Quote by DSchmitty
People who play metal always say this because they see their hero's like Hamett up there doing their **** carrying the ESP brand, NO, ESP is factory made crap, they get the best models, the ones 3gs +, the cheap knockoff trucksters and kh-'s suck @ss, never get one.

If you buy the ESP version (IE The one the threadster is talking about) they are great guitars...... And not all of us use our ESP's for metal.... I use mine for jazz and Classic Rock alot and get a great tone....
Quote by sheumack111
If you buy the ESP version (IE The one the threadster is talking about) they are great guitars...... And not all of us use our ESP's for metal.... I use mine for jazz and Classic Rock alot and get a great tone....

they may have a good tone but it will not hold a candle to an sg or a les paul, most people dont understand how good gibsons really are until they are the owners of one
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Agreed one hundred percent with the above post. I got a GEM of a studio, and anyone who has played it can vouch for it, but too me, any gibson would take the cake.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
do not get the studil, its an ugly piece of **** get the eclipse with duncans as somneone said, but id rather emgs. the lp studio gets horrible reviews.
Quote by Paith
Agreed one hundred percent with the above post. I got a GEM of a studio, and anyone who has played it can vouch for it, but too me, any gibson would take the cake.

yep

i have a gem one also, it feels better than alot of standards i pick up...... im jonsin for a lp classic now though... gibsons are a freaking addiction!

to the threadstarter: the esp is a good guitar, im not taking anything away from them (my dream is a snow white mx-250) but their les paul copies just feel like theres something missing... but they sure as hell are better than those ec-1000's those are awful
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by jimzer
do not get the studil, its an ugly piece of **** get the eclipse with duncans as somneone said, but id rather emgs. the lp studio gets horrible reviews.

there would be no esp eclipse if there wasnt a les paul... shut your damn mouth... play it for yourself dont listen to reviews

this is ugly?

2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Feb 7, 2008,
oh wait thats pretty nice LOL
true on the les paul statement but i really dont like the natural finish studio. makes me wanna cry yours is nice though dont get me wrong. wine red is it?
Quote by jimzer
oh wait thats pretty nice LOL
true on the les paul statement but i really dont like the natural finish studio. makes me wanna cry yours is nice though dont get me wrong. wine red is it?

only the vintage mahagony ones are ugly (to some people) lol and yea its wine red... im a bum, i wh0re that thing out whenever people drop the gibsons are ugly comment
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Quote by Paith

+1.... another gem Studio owner here too.

There are more happy actual Studio owners than there are dissatisfied "ex" studio owners in my experience.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by ste993
+1.... another gem Studio owner here too.

There are more happy actual Studio owners than there are dissatisfied "ex" studio owners in my experience.

yep
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
well, why not!!

I did play one of those Vai Jem's today....i liked it.

But I wouldn't trade my studio for any guitar in the same price range.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
coolest part, well to me anyways, was I bought in 4-13-2007, I bought a solid black Gibson Les Paul on friday the 13th.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
ESP copies Gibson so get the studio
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by DSchmitty

is that your opinion? if so your opinion fails. my truckster is possibly one of the most comfortable guitars i have ever played. the tone kicks ass and the neck is absolutely perfect. stays in tune like for an eternity as well.
Quote by jimzer
is that your opinion? if so your opinion fails. my truckster is possibly one of the most comfortable guitars i have ever played. the tone kicks ass and the neck is absolutely perfect. stays in tune like for an eternity as well.

oh yeah?? well gibson has a guitar that tunes itself!!

lol
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Dimster Ds
ESP copies Gibson so get the studio

Yes ESP copied the Gibson, but I can guaruntee they didnt aim to copy the Studio model.....

Check out the pics on my profile of my ESP.... Thats the model that Gibson filled a Lawsuit against, which suggests they were nervous about this 'new cheaper better copy' doesnt it???

And to the guy with the Black Studio.... I think that looks crap.... Ive never been a fan of Silver on Black.. Gold on Black however......
ty.. but which Seymour Duncans pickups? there are alot.
Quote by DSchmitty

And since when did the TS say he wanted a KH or a Truckster?

Fact is, anything in the 500 series and upwards craps over any of the new Gibson Studio's, granted the earlier Studio's were better, but even still you'd be very hard pushed to find a Studio that will outshine an Eclipse II. Even the LTD EC-1000's are some of the best guitars available for under a grand, and that's including for metal, rock and blues.

Quite clearly you're talking out of your ass here as there are countless ESP guitars that make for incredible rock, jazz and blues guitars, hell, Ron Wood has a signature guitar out through ESP, and I'm yet to hear him play anything that could even be considered heavy metal

These days, it's pretty safe to say that ESP's QC outstrips that of Gibson's, who have just gotten lazy and been riding off their own name for too long.
Funny words.
Quote by uldhppi
When ESP is only a memory Gibson will still be rockin.

This is the only edge the Gibby has over the ESP: resale value.
the eclipse is not a les paul copy. they have a similar shape, but are two completely different guitars. PLAY THEM AND DECIDE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE
Page 1 of 2