Pinch harmonics are easier on the Cube than on the Mark IV, however they sound better on the Mesa.

NATURAL harmonics suck on the Mark IV though. I don't get this. The only place I can tap natural harmonics, other than the twelfth fret for every string, is the third fret of the low E. On my Cube, however, I can get them anywhere from the second to the fifth fret, on just about any string. Note that I said TAPPED natural harmonics, like the ones you use for Dime-style divebomb squeals.

I tried adding more treble on the EQ, and the presence control is all the way up. I really doubt it's technique because I've been trying for like a week, with no success at all. I should have at least gotten a tapped harmonics by accident by now.

Does anyone have any idea as to WHY this is happening? The harmonics are excellent on the cube, but not even there on the Mark IV.
Maybe you need more harmonically responsive tubes. Whaddya got in there now? Also, do you have your Lead channel tone switch on Mids or Harmonics?
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 6, 2008,
i had the same problem when i bought my mark iv. it really is your technique. the mark iv shows your true playing including all of the mistakes. it has made me play my pinch harmonics so much nicer and more consistently. but if you bought the amp used it might be the tubes going out.
Well Enough Alone
Definitely not stock tubes, the amp is an early one. I took apart the fan the other day and that was made in 1989.

The tubes are all marked as Mesa's, so can't tell you exactly where they came from. The guy I bought it from said it had the tubes replaced recently. 6l6's in the power section. If you need to know what's in the Preamp section, tell me and I'll get a flashlight and take a look.

The lead switch is set to harmonics.

EQ is set low on the bass and mid side, but rises on the treble side. I tried maxing the treble just to see the effects of that, both on the 5 band EQ and the individual lead channel knob. Helped with pinch harmonics, but nothing with the natural harmonics.

@Guitardude11 - Pinch harmonics are fine. They're definitely not great, but they decent. That's because of my technique. However, as to natural harmonics, it's like I said - I should have gotten something at least by accident by now.
The cube is naturally going to have better harmonics because it lacks the full tone.

If your harmonics are really weak in general, on the Mark IV that is, chances are you guitar isn't producing harmonics well. Some better pickups could help.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The cube is naturally going to have better harmonics because it lacks the full tone.

If your harmonics are really weak in general, on the Mark IV that is, chances are you guitar isn't producing harmonics well. Some better pickups could help.

I have a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge, made by the man himself. I think I'm set there. I'm also playing a 1990 S540 Ibanez.
The mesa will project you playing more accuratly
The pickups may not be reacting the same way with the mesa either
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Dirk Gently
Maybe you need more harmonically responsive tubes. Whaddya got in there now? Also, do you have your Lead channel tone switch on Mids or Harmonics?

I just remembered that I emailed Doug from Doug's Tubes a few weeks back. What do you think of what he said regarding the tubes?
I recommend the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's. I believe the MKIV has 5 preamp tubes, this is what we recommend:

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V5 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS
The Ruby 6L6s are what I'm running. They're not really for high gain. See if he has any Winged =C= SEDs in stock that'll work for a Mark IV. You could also tighten up your low end a bit by running a pair of 6L6s with a pair of EL34s.

I'm running 2 Tung Sols, 1 JJ ECC83, and 2 Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes in my preamp. The results I get are satisfying. If I was doing it again, I'd probably just get a full complement of Tung Sol 12AX7 reissue tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
The Ruby 6L6s are what I'm running. They're not really for high gain. See if he has any Winged =C= SEDs in stock that'll work for a Mark IV. You could also tighten up your low end a bit by running a pair of 6L6s with a pair of EL34s.

I'm running 2 Tung Sols, 1 JJ ECC83, and 2 Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes in my preamp. The results I get are satisfying. If I was doing it again, I'd probably just get a full complement of Tung Sol 12AX7 reissue tubes.

I'll try that then...

EDIT: What are the Winged =C=s?
Last edited by ketiov at Feb 6, 2008,