Page 1 of 3
Sorry for this stupid question. I know it's a genre, but when someone says "OMG, that is so emo!" or "look at that emo kid"...what is emo?

I'm not a teenager so I'm out of the loop.(strangely, I feel I'm lucky to be out of it but that's IMO) And the wikipedia article was a very general description of an ambiguous genre. So I think I'm better off asking people in the scene, cause people calling things "emo" is really getting f*cking annoying.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
"Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle."

Urban dictionary.
she might be emo...but does look damn fine.
yeah your probably best to just not worry about what it is. people need to get over it and just forget about it
its when you take punk music and strip it of everything good, remove its balls and replace them with a vagina.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by Guitarmike123
"Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle."

Urban dictionary.

yep thats it,
but add a bunch of kids who cant play their instruments
and while they suck get praised by othre emo kids because their "amazing"
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by Guitarmike123

Urban dictionary.

best description of emo ever, seriously.
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
I can guarantee every answer you get in this thread is gonna be wrong.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Guitarmike123

Urban dictionary.

i love YOU

you made me sooooooo happy with that post. I have been trying to explain that to my mom for 5 months... I don't even know why she keeps asking.. and it sucks.. 'cause she's trying to convince me that i'm emo.. not even knowing what being an emo means..

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by NiK-117
best description of emo ever, seriously.

That's a completely wrong description, though.
Emo music was a very small genre in the late 80's/ early 90's that is now thoroughly dead. "emos" don't even listen to this genre.
Sorry, emo is just another MTV buzzword for making money.
Quote by Guitarist132

+1 (except mine, of course )
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Take a little bit of teen anxiety, subtract a healthy amount of hugs from parents, add a little bit of morbid poetry with just a hint of razor blades.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
dude those are just ****ing stupid stereotypes, all emo is is just an emotional person, it has nothing to do with how you dress, even a fat nerdy kid could be emo so **** off cause you obviosly dont know what your talking about and your just another stupid stereotyper
Emo is simply a scene for attention-whoring, impudent teen-agers that want to "stand out in the crowd" and receive attention when the only thing they do not fail to do is look like misbegotten codpieces.
emos are thieves, stealing the worst bits from every genre, and combining them with a narccissistic(sp?) attitude
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by rebeltildeth87
its when you take punk music and strip it of everything good, remove its balls and replace them with a vagina.

not nice.

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
You guys are forgetting to add the "I hate my parents and cry alone in a corner to make their black make up run", even though daddy has given them every single thing they could have ever wanted and turned them into a spoiled brat. Guy Emo's always wear really tight girl pants as well.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (bright yellow finish)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Crate XT15R
Fender Rumble 60
Pod X3 Live
Boss NS-1 Noisegate
It grew out of Wahington DC Hardcore punk scene in the late 80s, and it stands for 'emotional- hardcore'. The first true emo band were, apparently, Rites of Spring. In the 90s, emo was closer in style to pop-punk due to bands like Cap'n Jazz and Weezer's Pinkerton album. The genre is stated by some people to have died out by the end of the 90s.

Today, however, most people use the word 'emo' to refer to teenagers who wear tight black jeans, studded belts, ridiculous fringes that cover about half of the face... as well as the music that they listen like Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance - which actually don't sound anything alike each other.
If you guys want to hear actual "emo" music, check out Buffalo Tom, they're actually an awesome band, too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by NSixx136
dude those are just ****ing stupid stereotypes, all emo is is just an emotional person, it has nothing to do with how you dress, even a fat nerdy kid could be emo so **** off cause you obviosly dont know what your talking about and your just another stupid stereotyper

an emotional person is kind of a stereotype too...isn't it?

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
It grew out of Wahington DC Hardcore punk scene in the late 80s, and it stands for 'emotional- hardcore'. The first true emo band were, apparently, Rites of Spring. In the 90s, emo was closer in style to pop-punk due to bands like Cap'n Jazz and Weezer's Pinkerton album. The genre is stated by some people to have died out by the end of the 90s.

Today, however, most people use the word 'emo' to refer to teenagers who wear tight black jeans, studded belts, ridiculous fringes that cover about half of the face... as well as the music that they listen like Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance - which actually don't sound anything alike each other.

Rites of Spring is true emo.

MCR=Not Emo
FOB=Not Emo

All the cheezy pop punk bands within the last 5 years=Not Emo
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
Quote by crust_punk

I don't think FOB is emo.. I mean, their music isn't emo at all.. and they are like REALLY weird-looking.. the only one who cold like "be" emo is pete wentz.. who isn't emo.. he's just trying to get some audience

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by CoBasCis
Rites of Spring is true emo.

MCR=Not Emo
FOB=Not Emo

All the cheezy pop punk bands within the last 5 years=Not Emo

THANK YOU!

haha u explained it a LOT better than I did

I'm a GIRL!
emo is a style. its not "an emotional person". Women are emotional people but would you call your mother emo?
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
some women aren't even emotional.. like MY MOTHER.. or my sister.. or even me.. we were raised in a weird way. but you're right

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by pawm24
I don't think FOB is emo.. I mean, their music isn't emo at all.. and they are like REALLY weird-looking.. the only one who cold like "be" emo is pete wentz.. who isn't emo.. he's just trying to get some audience

He didn't say that... he specified things/bands that people nowadays use the term for.
all im trying to say is that emo is way too comonly used and is used for the most stupid reasons, and an emotional person isnt a stereotype its just the persons feelings
Quote by pawm24

You're missing the point of the post In the second paragraph I was stating what most people use the word to refer to today. I just didn't want to start a huge argument as some people say that's what emo has come to mean today and to move with the times blah blah blah
I can't really describe what is a "emo" BUT all I can say is that there is nothing to do with slitting wrists with razor blades and crying in the dark, these are just stereotypes.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
You're missing the point of the post In the second paragraph I was stating what most people use the word to refer to today. I just didn't want to start a huge argument as some people say that's what emo has come to mean today and to move with the times blah blah blah

haha ok.. sorry.. guess I didn't read well..

I'm a GIRL!
well to be honest its a bull**** overused phrase.

i get called emo even though i'm not depressed, neither do i listen to ****e BS music, but i do have 'sideways' hair so maybe this shows that emo is not emo anymore.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
Quote by Guitarist132

Yup.

Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. Such use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.

Emo is also sometimes associated with a certain fashion. The term "emo" is sometimes stereotyped with tight jeans on males and females alike, long fringe (bangs) brushed to one side of the face or over one or both eyes, dyed black, straight hair, tight t-shirts which often bear the names of rock bands (or other designed shirts), studded belts, belt buckles, canvas sneakers or skate shoes or other black shoes (often old and beaten up) and thick, black horn-rimmed glasses.[13][14][15] Emo fashion has changed with time. Early trends included straight, unparted hair (similar to that of Romulans and Vulcans in Star Trek), tightly fitting sweaters, button-down shirts, and work jackets.[citation needed] This fashion has at times been characterized as a fad.

In recent years the popular media has associated emo with a stereotype that includes being emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angsty. It is also associated with depression
Last edited by ctb at Feb 6, 2008,
emo music =

Quote by Wikipedia

n the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music

emo/scene (same thing in the sense TS is speaking of)=
Quote by Guitarmike123

Urban dictionary.

and me = right.
I remember back when Linkin Park was considered emo. Before the emo fringe and Fall Out Boy.

Emos back then were those basement dwelling loner kids with the weird nerdy stylish dress sense who keep poetry journals and suchlike. They would actually go through with it, though; they weren't the trendy coward "emos" of today
Guys, he's not asking about the true original roots of emo, he's wondering what it means and how it's used today. He's probably not interested in a history lesson.
Who dat?
Page 1 of 3