hey i was playing today and in the middle of the song i switched from rythm to bridge pups and the bridge pup didn't work after a while i got it to come back on but im worried about it because its a gibson L6s dlx from '78 and wont be able to get the same pup.
they are factory humbuckers.
i had them rewired recently.
can any one explain what happened?
thanks in advanced
(tell me if i need to post more info ill add it to this post!)
New info: i checked wiring and it seemes okay there are no connection problems. the lead pickup is cutting very reularly now but other pickups are fine.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Feb 7, 2008,
It probably isn't a problem with your pickups, it's more likely a problem with you pickup selector switch. It also could be some wiring problem. You should get a professional to check it out.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
i just had it rewired a year ago as there was a problem before. so i dont think its a wiring problem.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
sorry about double posting but i really need help
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i just had it rewired a year ago as there was a problem before. so i dont think its a wiring problem.

i dunno if you could say that for sure. i'd check the wiring anyway. it could still be a cold solder joint or similar. if you aren't keen on changing your pickups, it'd be worth checking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno if you could say that for sure. i'd check the wiring anyway. it could still be a cold solder joint or similar. if you aren't keen on changing your pickups, it'd be worth checking.

kk il open her up and check tonight*crosses fingers and prays that he doesn't need new pick-ups*
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
good luck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i cheked my wiring and so did some others(my dads a techy)
and there was nothing wrong with it it hasn't cut out again yet though.
is there any possibillity it is the pups?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
usually the switch.

blow compressed air into the switch hole, see if that helps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i had a probelm nearly identical to this on my les paul.

it was the switch selector for me.

i'd definately get that checked.
okay
the wiring (i cheked) is okay and its worse it goes out about 1 every 4-5 minuites i tested the switch its okay its always got contact when i select and pups dont go bad(ive heard)
so im probly gunna get it checked out.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
i also vote for the selector switch going bad, its probably got dirt in it that gets mushed around every time you move it. as a result, its an intermittent problem. Either put some contact cleaner in there or just replace the switch. you can get contact cleaner at radio shack, it was $10 for a can when i was there. (I passed and just got the switch elsewhere for $6)
Can you test a pickup with a multimeter? That would be the easiest way to tell if it's defective.
Hi, I'm Peter
okay i blew into te switch and it still cuts out.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Dirk Gently
Can you test a pickup with a multimeter? That would be the easiest way to tell if it's defective.

its just a long coil of wire wrapped around a magnet, right? is the wire insulated? some multimeters can test for continuity, although if theres a short across the wire you wouldnt be able to tell.

to the OP, blowing into the switch probably won't do much, even with compressed air I'd imagine.
so is it possible fot pickups to go "bad"
because they lasted 30 years im pretty sure they should be okay shouldn't they?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by black_box

to the OP, blowing into the switch probably won't do much, even with compressed air I'd imagine.

works when it's dirt.
pot cleaner with lube can also work. wouldnt want him spending $10 on it tho, and wd-40 just usually adds more dirt in the long run.

mulit meter FTW
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by strummin67
Not usually. Not unless they got damaged somehow. Did you whack it against something?

nah but its taken alot of abuse from the previous owner so i dont know.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by strummin67
Well it sounds like you've tried everything I would. Swap out the pickup.

i know but they are 30 year old pickups te guitars value will die, and itll never sound the samemind you at least it will make sound...
im going to have it checked out at my store first and if they can help ill swap

thanks for all the help guys
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Dirk Gently

yeah, probably.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i know but they are 30 year old pickups te guitars value will die, and itll never sound the samemind you at least it will make sound...
im going to have it checked out at my store first and if they can help ill swap

thanks for all the help guys

Not that much. Besides, you want to play it right?
yah i started a thread asking for recommondations
thanks.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)