Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
EDIT: care to elaborate why? ^

depends really. Claypool derives a lot of his tone through the various woods that the basses are made from. He is also know to use Active EMG hz pickups, and Dean Markley Blue Steel roundwound strings.

I have seen clips of him using a MIA jazz bass, probably strung with blue steel's, not sure on the pickups though....
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
the warwick is the better bass, you can always used various pedals/ amps to create the tone you are looking for
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
the warwick is the better bass, you can always used various pedals/ amps to create the tone you are looking for

if more money equates to "better" then yes rightfully so, but to say one is better than the other is a matter of opinion.

For example, I prefer the Jazz bass for it's incredible playability when compared to the hunk of wood warwick calls a neck.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
les claypool has used fender jazz basses on many ocassions but has never used a warwick.

that being said you will never get close to his to without a carl thompson bass and the rest of his rig.

the nearest tone you'll get is the one he has with his jazz bass and even then you'll be pretty far off because you don't have the rest of his insane rig or his insane technique

in short get the fender but don't go expecting instant claypool tones
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Having listened to Les Claypool play on about a thousand different basses and a thousand different amps I will tell you that you aren't going to get close to his tone without stealing his fingers. A lot of his tone comes from his style of playing, not from his gear. Although he does occasionally play Jazz basses, if that narrows your selection any.
yeah Jazz bass for track like Wynona

but you as Jiimy says, you aint gonna get his tone without his playing style, it's really unique, they way he hits the strings with his finger/nail to get that sound, I found a good explantion of it somewhere, but since Ive been on about 1000 Primus/Les related sights I cannot remember where....go look, there are some great sights, some with really good tabs too

and like skater dan0 says, you really need a carl thompson, they really are unique sounding basses
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"