ok, so the story was that i had my mind set on getting some sort of condensor mic purely from hearing about the superior sound quality, and considered the MXL 990.
however, the other day i was just doing a bit of research and i realised it needs an external power source or something called phantom power.
i didnt really understand even after some wikipedia-ing.
could someone explain it to me as though i am four years old , and might it work if i use the XLR bit on my M-Audio Black Box?
cheers
Phantom power is where a mixer to something similar sends 48v to the mic. This is only for certain mics and you can usually switch it on and off
most condenser mics either take batteries or require phantom power (which almost all good mixers provide) , or take both. But yeah it just means that the mixer powers the mic, so if you dont have a mixer or computer interface with phantom power don't bother (unless you plan to buy one)

EDIT

yes it goes through the XLR cable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
your 4 years old?!?!?!?!
are you a genius or are you foreign and meant 14?
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
I know in preamp applications, Phantom power is used to power the foot controller. Instead of plugging the source directly into the foot controller, you would power it through the 7 pin Midi cable. I would imagine your mic application is the same. You are including the signal path and a power source through your cable.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
<B>as though i am</B> four years old

i just meant that i wanted a simple explaination, in a sort of weird sentiment
Quote by led,rainsong
your 4 years old?!?!?!?!
are you a genius or are you foreign and meant 14?

Fail.
"I play guitar" - Me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?