since i have some tax money comming. what do you think would be better the Blackheart BH5 Half stack or the combo.I have an Epi G400 W/ pearly gates and 59 pickups, and i play mostly blues and classic rock but i do get into some of the older metal. i have a ts9 also
Last edited by mitchp420 at Feb 6, 2008,
Personally, I like the half stack option mainly because of it's flexibility (ability to use different cabinets/speakers without having to actually solder anything).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Get the stack so you can hook up the head to a 4x12 if you ever wanted.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'd go with the half-stack, but try out the Palomino V16 15W Combo Amp.
Quote by esp1234
I'd go with the half-stack, but try out the Palomino V16 15W Combo Amp.

what makes you say the crate. I do hear alot about them in here but i have also been hearing alot about the blackheart amps. Also i don't jam with a drummer so the extra wattage probably isn't necessary.
You also have to decide what sound you're after. The half stack is British voiced and the combo is American.
^umm...considering its the same amp both times, i'd say no to that

id get the combo, but im just a combo person...you gotta decide for yourself i guess

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by deadkenny64
You also have to decide what sound you're after. The half stack is British voiced and the combo is American.

WROOOONG

They're exactly the same.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Apparently the whole voicing thing is indeed a myth. I have the halfstack as the combo isn't available in the UK I think. I love the stack, and as mentioned, it means you can plug into many different cabs. But why not wait until April until the Handsome Devil head comes out. It is a 7w/15w head a la the Tiny Terror. I thought this was the only model they were ever doing but they are even doing a 100w stack now. Anyway, the 15w head has a separate gain control which is it's main advantage, but it would also be loud enough to suit gigging at larger venues. Either way, Blackhearts are the best amps in the price range and will suit you perfectly. I'm smitten.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Feb 7, 2008,
Im a stack person when it comes to anything that isnt a practice amp. Ive been slammed for that here though.
Unless you are getting the combo for significantly cheaper, I would just get the stack for the sake of flexibility.
^well here (germany) the stacks like 300 euros while the combo is about 260

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel

WROOOONG

They're exactly the same.

I was just going by the Blackheart specs which list:

BH112 - Cab

12" Blackheart Model 1216B by Eminence Speaker has a British Voicing and is optimized for closed back cabinet

BH5-112 - Combo

12" Blackheart Model 1216A Speaker by Eminence with American Voicing and optimized for open back cabinet

Have not heard both so I can't comment on the actual difference but I would think closed vs open back would have some difference in sound, however subtle.
Last edited by deadkenny64 at Feb 7, 2008,
^Oh I thought they had the same speaker (most combos do). But the amp still has the same voicing (British).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
However, the 3 and 5 watt modes have a bit of a voicing difference, the 5 watt mode has more gain generally, and doesn't sound as dark at the 3 watt mode.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30