Right I think it's about time I got a bigger amp for practiceing and gigging

I play metal mainly, I'm after a solid state amp for a number of reasons (cheaper, don't heat up the practice room ext). I'm After a twin cone combo prefrebly.

Does anybody have any good recomendations? I know theres alot of trash in the world of solid state amps, but are there a few that are worth while?
well. they don't give off that much heat.
and a used combo you can get extremely cheap man.
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Randall's are probably the best ss amps for metal. Or at least the best that I have tried.

Yea thats what I was thinking, I've heard bad stuff about the RX series to be honest. But how about the G3's?

Quote by lua4x
well. they don't give off that much heat.
and a used combo you can get extremely cheap man.

Hmm maybie your right, it's just that once I borrowed this old marshall for at the practice rooms and is got so hot I could have fried bacon on it.

But Still tube amps are expensive. But If you can recomend a good one, i'll try and find a good condition second hand one
Hmm maybie your right, it's just that once I borrowed this old marshall for at the practice rooms and is got so hot I could have fried bacon on it.

Bias might have been wrong it to make the tubes burn that hot. mebe?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Tubes shouldnt get so hot that your feeling the heat off of them, unless you have 4 amps with 8 tubes a piece cranked to the max for 5 hours. Then it might get hot.

But I havent played a G3, so I cant give you an accurate opinion on them but I have heard nothing but good things from those who have played them.
Unless there's something wrong with the amp and it's overheating like crazy, you shouldn't be feeling heat off the amp unless you touch it.

There's a reason tube amps are more expensive. With the exception of a few, they sound 10x better, more dynamic and defined and don't sound like it's going to die when you turn it up, it sounds better.

I've never played a SS Randall, including the G3, that can compare to a new or used tube amp in its price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you can afford it. The JC-120 is a good idea. Clean channels take pedals better and then you can dial in any tone you want really. The JC is a great amp and is pretty much a huge clean channel. You can throw pedals at it all day long at it takes them like a champ.
Yea i watched the demo a while ago and it sounds pretty good. I'm not really an effects pedal man myself. I like keeping it fairly simple.

Infact I may consider saveing up longer and getting a tube amp, I really need a job, nobody will hire me (that was irrelevant)

Although I'm going to try out a randall GS first and see what happens. So can anybody name any good, reasonably priced high gain tube amps?
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Roland JC120 is the best solid state amp for cleans. It's probably the best amp for cleans full stop.

"IMO".

many people would prefer a twin reverb for example.
Line6 Flextone, of if you wanna go big, the Vetta.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by The red Strat.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Roland JC120 is the best solid state amp for cleans. It's probably the best amp for cleans full stop.
"IMO".

many people would prefer a twin reverb for example.
Careful. We're talking solid state.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
[quote="'']Yea thats what I was thinking, I've heard bad stuff about the RX series to be honest. But how about the G3's?

But Still tube amps are expensive. But If you can recomend a good one, i'll try and find a good condition second hand one
So are good SS amps. SS amps aren't worth it unless you are a beginner or you need great jazz cleans. The good SS amps start at around $600 when you can get something better ,IMO, that is full tube.
try the Roland Cubes, most say they are the best moddelers. some even say the best solid state
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
From what I've played I really dig the Vox AD series, though technically they're hybrid amps, they're practically solid state, anyway, they're decent, I use one at school, I got them to order the ADs, mainly for volume it was either a Marshall MG, a Line6 Spider, a low wattage Roland or the AD15 and I thought "Well I need to use the loudest as we have a drummer her" so I made them pick that, there are now two of them at school, very nice.
Have some great high gain tones and some nice effects to play with.
However I say that used to the sound of the single tube on it cranked so it may not sound as good unless it's at 11!
Randall RG or G3 amps and the old Marshall Valvestates for solid state, or a Peavy 5150 or 6505 combo used (the 5150 will be cheaper because it's an older model and sold for less than the 6505s do now). Also, if you don't need cleans that much, the Krank Rev JR mini-stack (it doesn't have a footswitch and the gain control is the clean's volume control)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Randall RG or G3 amps and the old Marshall Valvestates for solid state, or a Peavy 5150 or 6505 combo used (the 5150 will be cheaper because it's an older model and sold for less than the 6505s do now). Also, if you don't need cleans that much, the Krank Rev JR mini-stack (it doesn't have a footswitch and the gain control is the clean's volume control)

Hmm yes, I've heared mixed things about the valvestates, but after hearing that I might go and try one out, and ofcourse the G3

Always rely on COB thread regular to give good advice
[quote="'']Hmm yes, I've heared mixed things about the valvestates, but after hearing that I might go and try one out, and ofcourse the G3

Always rely on COB thread regular to give good advice

I own a Marshall VS100 and it is pretty sweet and it is pure marshall tone if you like the way marshall's sound you will love the amp. But if you want anything other then marshall tone it might have issues producing unless you pedal the clean side. Which i did as well... I know a guy that also plays in a band that strictly use's them and he gets some pretty heavy tone out of them.
Peavey 5150
or
B-52 at212
or
Randall rg50tc
or
Line 6 Spider III (go ahead and flame me, they're good AND cheap too, with loads of effects thus saving big $$$ on not having to buy a ****load of pedals)
or
Raven rg100
pritchards are supposed to be really good as in they make you wondery why uve been messing with tubes for so long
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
get a Randall RG head for distortion, and a Roland Jazz Chorus for cleans....it's the equivalent of SS heaven (if it exists).
The crate Flexwave > Randall G3 by a longshot.

I wouldn't choose either one. Line 6 Flextone II for metal, III for rock and cleans.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by doomed1

Line 6 Spider III (go ahead and flame me, they're good AND cheap too, with loads of effects thus saving big $$$ on not having to buy a ****load of pedals)

I'm not going to flame you, I own a Spider 3 and it's a good practice amp, however for not much more money you could get a used Flextone, that's what I which I had done.
Quote by doomed1
Peavey 5150
or
B-52 at212
or
Randall rg50tc
or
or
Raven rg100

Why on earth do people make such posts? Did you even read the thread title?
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
The valvestate sounds like **** for metal trust me. Why do you not want a tube amp? They aren't going to heat your room up like a heater and even if they did they are worth it. If you are in a band you need a tube amp. Theres no solid state amp that sounds that great turned up in my opinion although they do make better practice amps. Get a 5150 man dont worry about tubes heating up
Quote by paranormal5150
The valvestate sounds like **** for metal trust me. Why do you not want a tube amp? They aren't going to heat your room up like a heater and even if they did they are worth it. If you are in a band you need a tube amp. Theres no solid state amp that sounds that great turned up in my opinion although they do make better practice amps. Get a 5150 man dont worry about tubes heating up

+1

true.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Tubes shouldnt get so hot that your feeling the heat off of them, unless you have 4 amps with 8 tubes a piece cranked to the max for 5 hours. Then it might get hot.
That's just false...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Careful. We're talking solid state.

he said it's probably the best amp for cleans full stop. that includes the tube amps.
so i said that it's opinion and that many people would prefer a tube amp like fender for example for cleans.

^ exactly. my BD gets bloody hot after 2 hours fo playing at low volumes.
Quote by The red Strat.
he said it's probably the best amp for cleans full stop. that includes the tube amps.
so i said that it's opinion and that many people would prefer a tube amp like fender for example for cleans.

^ exactly. my BD gets bloody hot after 2 hours fo playing at low volumes.

And my Laney gets very hot full stop!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
That's just false...

That was also a joke. Kind of overexaggerating the way I figured the TS was about how hot the one tube amp got.
no, it doesnt include tube amps. The title of the thread is "best SOLID STATE amps". I would definitely say a Randall RX120D for metal. I bought mine about a year ago and it has been amazing. Now that my band is preparing to go on tour full time, Im upgrading to a tube amp but the Randall has definitely served me well.
If to live is to die, then is to die to live? Thats a bunch of S_H_I_T.
[quote="'']Right I think it's about time I got a bigger amp for practiceing and gigging

I play metal mainly, I'm after a solid state amp for a number of reasons (cheaper, don't heat up the practice room ext). I'm After a twin cone combo prefrebly.

Does anybody have any good recomendations? I know theres alot of trash in the world of solid state amps, but are there a few that are worth while?

you probably already have bought an amp because this thread is really old, but I'll still put in my few cents, Hands down the best solid state amp for metal is the madison prophecy. check it out you won't be sorry