Recently our bass player quit our school's jazz band and I am filling in for him. I am borrowing my friend's Ibanez Gio bass, but I need to own my own bass in time for the summer because we are taking an exchange trip with a band in Germany.

My budget is about $200-$375 and I might be able to bend enough for a $400 bass.

What bass should I look at?
A used Fender MIM Jazz Bass is roughly around that price, and will be great.
Do you have ampiflication?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I am using my school's Ibanez SW65 Bass amp right now, but I do not own my own amp.
Well if you are going stictly for a jazz band tone and that is your price range, I (against all of my good judgement) must also recommend a MIM jazz bass. I normally prefer a dual humbucker setup but in the price range you won't find much that will have the kind of versatility you need. So unless you can bump all the way up to $500 MIM jazz is my pick
What did you previously play?
"Punk is the personal expression of uniqueness that comes from the experiences of growing up in touch with our human ability to reason and ask questions" -Greg Graffin of Bad Religion
A new MIM jazz is $479.99. Highly recommended.

rondomusic.net is a good option. I got my Jazz bass, which I am in love with, from there. $115.

Also, check the Bass Forum FAQ, They have the 10 best beginner basses, most of which are in your price range.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Link.JohnIrving at Feb 7, 2008,
I would just get a regular squire jazz bass. Maybe you can ask the music teacher for suggestions.
If you cant find a used MIM(made in mexico) jazz bass from fender, then i recommend a squier vintige modified jazz bass.These basses rival the MIM jazzes in some cases and youll have some money left over for upgrades, like a better bridge,strings,Etc.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Before I played bass guitar I was just playing the bass part on Tuba. I've been playing brass instruments since the second grade, but I've also been playing guitar for about two years.

Are SX basses good?