I have been given the go ahead by my D.T. teacher to build a guitar body for my GCSE. My plan is to have the body as lacewood and the top to be a jigsaw of maple and walnut. The top will be 3/8ths of an inch and the neck will be a bolt on. The bridge will be a hipshot hardtail strat bridge. The "jigsaw peices" will be 1.5 inches square.

My question is: Will that seriously effect sustain? Or would the guitar be perfectly fine sounding?

I need to know before I spend my time and money on this.

Thanks
dunno, but it sounds awsome.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I dont think so. But why use such a nice body wood if the front is gonna be covered? I would use something like Ash or Alder, maybe something tonally similar. And by jigsaw, do u mean alternating pieces cut like a puzzle? that sounds cool.
Just make sure you investigate it properly before you start, my friend is making a guitar for his Leaving Cert construction project and to be honest it's turning out horrible...and very expensive. Although you seem to know what you're talking about whereas he didn't know very much about guitars when he started...
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by qotsa1998
I dont think so. But why use such a nice body wood if the front is gonna be covered? I would use something like Ash or Alder, maybe something tonally similar. And by jigsaw, do u mean alternating pieces cut like a puzzle? that sounds cool.

LOL a jigsaw is a type of electric saw.
EDIT: but now that i read the post again i see that you're not referring to the saw
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Last edited by Bossman123 at Feb 6, 2008,
Yeah I would use something simpler for the body, Basswood or ash or alder and make the top a LOT thinner. If it's gonna be a flat top I wouldn't do it anymore than 3-4mm thick. Will look much neater and be easier to work with.

Should look pretty cool though, I'm tempted to make a pickguard from glueing a jigsaw puzzle onto some plastic and lacquering over it.. I may have to try that now.

So yeah.. My thoughts on the idea, should be pretty cool though.
Thankyou all. The reason I was going to use lacewood was because it ,at the local wood place, is £25 for a body blank (half the price of alder)
ive never heard of lacewood
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
nice
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Wow that strat is hot. I like that a lot.

The puzzle idea is really cool, too. I'd also think a thinner top is going to be better... and easier to work with on the edges.

The sound should be fine. Some of these guitars are made out of even 7 pieces of wood with no top on them, and they still sound great. I wouldn't think a pieced-together top over a solid blank would have any sort of sustain issues.

Now I would keep the puzzle pieces large to make it simple. Maybe 1.5" is a little too small, and could cause too much detail work (and risk of it looking like ****e) Can you go a little bigger and cut down on pieces?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
UPDATE: I have my wood now. Body blank of hard ash and two bookmatched tops of amazique and yew. The jigsaw will be cnc machined so the piece sizes are less important. Have to start designing everything in detail now. The build will start in september, by which time I will have aquired all parts.