Ok, so when you alternate pick and you come to a hammer on or pull off, do you pick the note that comes after the legato the opposite way you picked the first note of the legato or do you pick depending on how you would pick the note if the passage was all alternate picking?

Ex: Say ur on the g string and it looks like this: 5h7 5 so ur hammering on to 7 then picking the other 5. So you pick it like down up (first way i suggested) or down down (second way)
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Well, strictly speaking, for proper strict alt picking, then you'd play the upstroke, since the one before it was down, but for economy picking, you could play both down, depends really...
I personally go down-down but if I had though about it while I was learning to play I probably would have done it down-up so as not to break the picking flow.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Being rhythmically (sp?) correct it would be played down down. As the 7 would be an upstroke but because its a slur the next note would be down.
Quote by bsoates

Ex: Say ur on the g string and it looks like this: 5h7 5 so ur hammering on to 7 then picking the other 5. So you pick it like down up (first way i suggested) or down down (second way)

No right answer really. For emphasis I might do down down, for smoother down up.
Quote by bsoates
Ok, so when you alternate pick and you come to a hammer on or pull off, do you pick the note that comes after the legato the opposite way you picked the first note of the legato or do you pick depending on how you would pick the note if the passage was all alternate picking?

It all depends on context. If the hammeron is in the same rhythm as the rest of the phrase, then go down, down (or up, up). If the hammeron is twice the speed then probably down, up (or up, down)