Hey guys. I'm planning to buy myself a new guitar, but I still thinking about what I shoud buy. I'm playing in a pop-rock band with some blues influences (sounds a bit like the Kaiser Chiefs). The first guitarist plays a Epiphone Les Pauls standard. Me, the second guitarist... I have an Ibanez S470 which I bought without having any real knowledge of guitars. After having it for 4 years I realised this guitar isn't working for me. The bridge is too complicated, I don't like the neck and its sound.

I've decided to sell the S470 and buy myself a new one. I love my band mate's Les Pauls and I really would like to have one myself, but I sometimes I hear people saying that two Les Pauls' (with the same pick-ups) isn't the best choice when playing in a band. I understand that it's kind of special to have different sounding guitars, but I really love it.

I had a converstation about it with our first guitarist and he told me to buy a Les Pauls if I wanted one. He also told that he's planning to buy a semi-acoustic in the far future, but that could take more than a year.

I'm also considering other options. Like a Fender Telecaster (standard) and a Epiphone Firebird. It's very important for me that it has a bright sound when playing clean. I mostly play rhythm lines and a few solos. The Tele is my second choice, but I have my doubts on its sound when playing clean.

I haven't tried any of these "second choices" at the shop. I'm planning a day-long trip to MusicStore in Germany (Europe's Biggest) to try them out, but first I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'm sorry for my long (first) post
Quote by dotnilo
Hey guys. I'm planning to buy myself a new guitar, but I still thinking about what I shoud buy. I'm playing in a pop-rock band with some blues influences (sounds a bit like the Kaiser Chiefs). The first guitarist plays a Epiphone Les Pauls standard. Me, the second guitarist... I have an Ibanez S470 which I bought without having any real knowledge of guitars. After having it for 4 years I realised this guitar isn't working for me. The bridge is too complicated, I don't like the neck and its sound.

I've decided to sell the S470 and buy myself a new one. I love my band mate's Les Pauls and I really would like to have one myself, but I sometimes I hear people saying that two Les Pauls' (with the same pick-ups) isn't the best choice when playing in a band. I understand that it's kind of special to have different sounding guitars, but I really love it.

I had a converstation about it with our first guitarist and he told me to buy a Les Pauls if I wanted one. He also told that he's planning to buy a semi-acoustic in the far future, but that could take more than a year.

I'm also considering other options. Like a Fender Telecaster (standard) and a Epiphone Firebird. It's very important for me that it has a bright sound when playing clean. I mostly play rhythm lines and a few solos. The Tele is my second choice, but I have my doubts on its sound when playing clean.

I haven't tried any of these "second choices" at the shop. I'm planning a day-long trip to MusicStore in Germany (Europe's Biggest) to try them out, but first I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'm sorry for my long (first) post

Just get the Leslie if you like it. So long as you both have different amps, you should be alright.

Are you mad? :p Telecasters are the premier clean guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The Tele is much better than the Epi if it's a MIA, so go with that. It has GREAT clean sounds!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Honestly, I would not worry about what people say, if you dig the guitar and the sound go with it. I own a Epiphone Les Paul and I would not trade it for anything, I personally think you should go with the LP if thats the one you like most, **** everyone else
Well, there are other ways to add tonal variations besides having two different guitars with different pickups. For example, working with amp EQ and/or gain, or having an overall different amp rig.

The biggest concern is both of you inhabiting the same frequency spaces thus having a canceling effect on the over all sound making it sound weaker. That doesn't necessarily have to do with the guitar you are using.

Get the guitar you want to play, and hell, you'll probably wind up changing out the pickups anyways at some point, as it's always great to replace "ok" stock pickups with something better.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Feb 6, 2008,
Don't have any worries about the telecaster sounding bright when clean, they sound bright and 'colourful'... what amps are you both using, and do you both EQ them the same, because if you both play les pauls, then the sound will not matter, plus other options would be to play 'harmonically' with each other, eg. if you're playing an openE chord, then your other guitarist could play EBarre on the 9th to give a chorus harmony effect between the two of you! You've got loads of options available to you, don't just look at the guitar... look at everything from amp to how you can play!
Go for the LP if you want it... I got a telecaster then a les paul, and i now only use the tele for studio work, coz the LP has enough umph to support me doing a gig.

Hope this helps
I SOLD MY SOUL TO SATAN.... Cheeky Bastard Wants A Refund!
Who says you can't have two les pauls in one band? Thin lizzy did!

If anything you want guitars that sound quite close. I mean you want to sound like you're in the same band. You don't need one guy with a vintage les paul tone and the other with a modern rock high gain ibanez.
Quote by Rudy Burns
Don't have any worries about the telecaster sounding bright when clean, they sound bright and 'colourful'... what amps are you both using, and do you both EQ them the same, because if you both play les pauls, then the sound will not matter, plus other options would be to play 'harmonically' with each other, eg. if you're playing an openE chord, then your other guitarist could play EBarre on the 9th to give a chorus harmony effect between the two of you! You've got loads of options available to you, don't just look at the guitar... look at everything from amp to how you can play!
Go for the LP if you want it... I got a telecaster then a les paul, and i now only use the tele for studio work, coz the LP has enough umph to support me doing a gig.

Hope this helps

Actually, he wants a really bright guitar. He was thinking the Tele wasn't bright enough. Unless that was a typo or something.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
BC RICH WARBEAST!!!!!
not really... i dont even know why im here, i dont like epiphone & i dont like telecasters & i dont like kaiser cheifs!! ....i dont even like Bc Rich's!!!
but still... screw everyone else & get what you wanna get!!
The AllmanBros. made two Les Paul dual harmonies their trademark sound.
Maybe widen your scope a lil.

Look into the full range of mainstream guitars: Les Pauls, SGs, Teles and Stratocastors, try these out at local shops, then of course try other guitars you think may suit you.
Remember shape doesn't mean anything. If you see a pointy guitar it doesn't mean metal and if you see a smooth guitar, it doesn't mean clean sounding. Try every guitar, get the feel for YOU.
If you want brightness and twang, nothing beats a Telecaster. A Squier Thinline or a Standard will do superbly. If you still want the Les Paul, that's perfectly acceptable, since the majority of your sound will be the settings you use on the guitar and amplifier (as well as the amplifier type itself). Play both kinds, and see what you want overall.
Quote by Rudy Burns

Hope this helps

Well, he's using a Kustom (don't know which model) and I have a Peavey Bandit 112 II. Thank you for the tips, we'll have a look at it!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually, he wants a really bright guitar. He was thinking the Tele wasn't bright enough. Unless that was a typo or something.

Well, I meant that I thought that Tele's have a sharper sound. And I don't know if bright was the correct word. 'Fuller sound' is maybe more correct (English isn't my native language you know ).

But when I read all the comments I have the feeling that I really should consider the Telecaster - which I'll certainly do.
Quote by dotnilo

Well, I meant that I thought that Tele's have a sharper sound. And I don't know if bright was the correct word. 'Fuller sound' is maybe more correct (English isn't my native language you know ).

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Telecasters aren't unpleasantly bright. It's just a different kind of bright.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I believe both guitar players from my Chemical Romance use Epiphone Les Pauls. One of them may have a Gibson, though.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I believe both guitar players from my Chemical Romance use Epiphone Les Pauls. One of them may have a Gibson, though.

Well, originally, they both had Epiphones. Then they moved up to Elitists, then the lead guitar player got a Gibby and the rhythm guitar player followed suit. That would be a bad way to make a point though, since they both sound similar since they play through identical rigs.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, originally, they both had Epiphones. Then they moved up to Elitists, then the lead guitar player got a Gibby and the rhythm guitar player followed suit. That would be a bad way to make a point though, since they both sound similar since they play through identical rigs.

Well, I do like the sound they have on some of their songs. I can't stand their singer, but I do enjoy some of the guitar work...

But if you're going through different amps, you'll be fine. For a while in my band, both of the guitar players had Epiphone SGs, and we didn't sound alike. Then he got a Fender Strat, and I got a Gibby, and it's miles away now.
Two LP's worked well for The Darkness.

Given, all of Dan's were modified and all of Justin's were standard (as far as I know).