I wanna pick up bass soon, after playing guitar for a few years. Ive looked around on a few online stores, and have seen a few guitars and amps worth asking about.

The first one being a Peavey Millenium BXP 4-string.
http://www.music123.com/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-4-String-Bass-Guitar-511369-i1146907.Music123

I like how it looks, and based on the reviews there, it seems like a good bass.

Squier Vintage modified P-Bass
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

or TB Bass.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-TB-Precision-Bass?sku=519758

Both look good for Squier's reputation.

As for amps, only one really stood out, other than a Behringer.
A Crate BT220.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-BT220-220W-1x15---2-Channel-Bass-Combo-Refurb-102640513-i1171344.gc

2-channel, 220w amp.

I might be getting into a band soon, and around $450 for a giggable rig like that seems great. The band i think will be pop-punk/rock or similar, so id really like something that can get that super-punchy P-bass sound. But ill also play stuff like The Strokes, Coheed, Taking Back Sunday, RHCP, and maybe some other rock or jazz perhaps. Any other suggestions and opinions on this stuff would be welcome.
thx.

EDIT: I also would like opinions on the Squier Frank Bello bass. Looks awesome, and seems like it would suit my needs.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Feb 6, 2008,
I strongly suggest that squier (as wierd as it is to say that). It's a solid bass, and competes with MIM fenders in every aspect but for cheaper. I think it looks sexy too
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
the Frank Bello Bass does look pretty awesome.

Also, look into a Schecter C series bass. I went thru a Fender Jazz bass (geddy lee), and a P-bass, not squires, however, and found that for the money, the Schecter felt better, much more solid, and sound pretty good.

If you are looking at around a $500 budget, and need a bass, and an amp......dont even consider buying new stuff. Get everything from craigslist, if you dont see anything now.....WAIT. Check it every day. Some poor schmuck will be selling his stuff bc he needs to p[ay his rent. If you buy new gear at that price, it wont be worth anything when you realize you want to upgrade.

There is currently a thread dedicated to flaming me, and what I have paid for my gear, but I am looking for good deals, and have been ;lucky enough to get them. I paid less than $500 for a MIA strat with noiselss pickups.....$300 for a Fender Deluxe amp.....$40 for a Line 6 POD 1st generation.......you can find em.

Get the cheapest bass amp you can find. You will need some pretty seroius practice time. Dont waste a few hundred an a combo amp, and then find out you can be heard over the guitar....when trying to play in a band. (unless your just playing blues).

I just searched on CL ( I am completely bored today)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/564946336.html

$100 aMPEG combo, will get you started. (there are a ton of heads and cabs for sale too, that will get you tons more power)...another $150 will get you 100W of SS power with an old 4x10 cab.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/msg/563996384.html

$150 fender squire P bass. YOu will be able to sell both for what you paid any day of the week.

At this point in your playing career, you can play anything with any type of gear. Dont worry about getting specific tones, or sounding like specifc bands. I am a guitar player too, but play bass in a band......just to get some extra ass. Maybe I am nuts, but I dont think there is a whole lotta differnce in bass players tones....well, not like a guitar players tones anyway.
Quote by richgray5
At this point in your playing career, you can play anything with any type of gear. Dont worry about getting specific tones, or sounding like specifc bands. I am a guitar player too, but play bass in a band......just to get some extra ass. Maybe I am nuts, but I dont think there is a whole lotta differnce in bass players tones....well, not like a guitar players tones anyway.

nah, there are loads of tone differences

you just gotta train your ears to pick up the lower frequencies

you come across as not really respecting bass, and with the typical guitarist attitude of "I can play bass cuz I can play guitar"

not true

I hope people like Jazz_Rock_Feel and TheFitz dont read your post, they may rant and flame

see, I was nice about it, im a passive person
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Im curious as to how that crate amp sounds. Ive never heard of a 200+watt amp for under 200 bucks except for the disasterous behringers. Hell I paid 290 for my Fender Rumble 100 as my first.
Quote by richgray5

Yeah, well that's because you are primarily a guitar player who probably (I'm going to take a stab in the dark) listens to modern (metal) music whose bass players follow only what the mein fuhrer guitar players are playing.

It's clichee as hell, but listen to one Jaco Pasorius recording, See Me, Feel Me by The Who at Woodstock, a Mr. Big song, any Motown song, and a Sly Stone song, and tell me ANY of those basses sound recognizably alike at all.

If bass tones don't have the same variance as guitar tones, your head's up your ass or you aren't listening.

EDIT: If you're REALLY interested, I can hook you up to videos of John Entwistle alone playing at least three totally different tones in various eras.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 7, 2008,
When I was testing practice amps, I played the BT20, Crate's 20 watter. It was really great. But I got a deal on my Ashdown, so I couldn't pass it up. So if the BT220 is anything like the BT20, and it's only $200... I might have to buy that.

Edit: Plus it ships free on Musicians Friend. OMG.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

The Millenium is a great instrument I have the 5-string BXP Grind which is just a more expensive version which is a little bit better and i think its amazing
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, well that's because you are primarily a guitar player who probably (I'm going to take a stab in the dark) listens to modern (metal) music whose bass players follow only what the mein fuhrer guitar players are playing.

It's clichee as hell, but listen to one Jaco Pasorius recording, See Me, Feel Me by The Who at Woodstock, a Mr. Big song, any Motown song, and a Sly Stone song, and tell me ANY of those basses sound recognizably alike at all.

If bass tones don't have the same variance as guitar tones, your head's up your ass or you aren't listening.

EDIT: If you're REALLY interested, I can hook you up to videos of John Entwistle alone playing at least three totally different tones in various eras.

--PWNT--

You know, thefitz is like Master Splinter. 99% of the time he's a wise, caring, and soft-spoken sensei. But when too near evil doth lurk, he blows your mind with his baddie-thwarting dominance.

You should definitely go by Master thefitz.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
--PWNT--

You know, thefitz is like Master Splinter. 99% of the time he's a wise, caring, and soft-spoken sensei. But when too near evil doth lurk, he blows your mind with his baddie-thwarting dominance.

You should definitely go by Master thefitz.

I've been called many things, but never caring and soft-spoken!

But I do get extremely touchy over "basscist" comments, especially when they're not even stereotypes, but are just wrong. If someone realizes they were wrong, that's fine - they were just misinformed, but to say "bass, not so much, listen to those 99.99% 6-string guitars with frets and various distortions" isn't cool.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i seriously think the peavy sonds like crap. i would strongly subjest you lean more twords the vintage modifyed P bass out of all those you listed.

if you get that and the 220watter you will go very far.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Just bought the amp last weekend.
Great amp, great price, can get real loud and still sound good
it is heavy as **** though haha