Poll: speaker or pickups
Poll Options
View poll results: speaker or pickups
Replace Speaker. If you choose this, tell me which speaker you would choose and why
4 22%
Pickups
14 78%
Voters: 18.
hey guys, im wanted to upgrade some stuff. I play blues/jazz with an mim strat and a fender hot rod deluxe. i can spend anywhere from $100-200 US.
would i benefit more from upgrading my pickups or my speaker. I know next to nothing about speakers, so if you choose speaker, which speaker do you recommend and why. thank you so much.
From what I've heard the Fenders are usually pretty well matched speaker-wise. So as far as a speaker swap goes I wouldn't know which type or if its even worth it.

But a PUP swap will go a long way.......you may need to up the budget a bit though. Unless you can do it yourself.

Great Upgrades for MIM :

Locking Tuners..... these will be a pop-on retro fit you can do in 3 minutes. $60 - $80
Bridge swap to Stainless saddle American Style. $80-$100.

When you get the PUP's changed it's a good idea to get the pots, switches, and wiring done too.

The guy who does the pickups should be able to do all this for $50 on top of the pickup-change.

As far as pickups go..... I prefer the Lindy Fralin's. Several types/tones..... and top notch Tone when it comes to Strats.

But they'll run you $225 a set.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
what kind of speaker does the hot rod have now? are they the fender special design ones?

if so, get some weber 12F150s.

if you go pickups, go for www.rockmonkeyguitars.com and ask chris to recommend you a pickup (set). it's $180 a set, handwound, boutique quality pickups.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Speakers.

Sounds like you want a weber.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
A good speaker. Even though the MIM Fenders are really decent guitars I wouldn't put a lot of money in upgrades unless you are totally in love with it for life. It's good enough just like it is. Save up for a MIA.
ok, what are some good speaker choices. ive been looking but i really have no idea which ones should be good for me.
weber 12F150.

i already said it.

but if ur tight on budget, maybe some eminence texas heats? eminence makes real nice speakers for a little cheaper than weber or celestion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
what kind of speaker does the hot rod have now? are they the fender special design ones?

if so, get some weber 12F150s.

if you go pickups, go for www.rockmonkeyguitars.com and ask chris to recommend you a pickup (set). it's $180 a set, handwound, boutique quality pickups.

+1 to the pickups.

I like the Fender Special Designs! Maybe I'll check out that Weber someday, but I couldn't be happier with my sound.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^its cuz the hot rods aren't really warm amps. they're rather trebly in a way.

valve jrs are warm with lots of boxyness. so the sort of scooped fender special designs might work.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^its cuz the hot rods aren't really warm amps. they're rather trebly in a way.

valve jrs are warm with lots of boxyness. so the sort of scooped fender special designs might work.

Agreed.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

yea. fender hot rod owners can sell their old fender special design speakers as "Great Replacement speaker for an Epiphone Valve Jr."
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. fender hot rod owners can sell their old fender special design speakers as "Great Replacement speaker for an Epiphone Valve Jr."

I'd buy them. Is it 1x12, 2x12, or 4x10? Because I could either make myself a 2x12, a 3x12 or a 1x12x4x10. ZOMG that's like dividing by zero!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

It's funny, the poll says pups, the comments say speaker.

I'd lean towards the pups, myself. I really think it comes down to which item you're more likely to replace in the future. Would you change out the speaker and look to get a new guitar down the road, or swap out the pups and look for a new amp? Or do you intend to keep both and mod 'em 'til you can't think of anything else to do?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by chea_man
hey guys, im wanted to upgrade some stuff. I play blues/jazz with an mim strat and a fender hot rod deluxe. i can spend anywhere from $100-200 US.
would i benefit more from upgrading my pickups or my speaker. I know next to nothing about speakers, so if you choose speaker, which speaker do you recommend and why. thank you so much.

New pups
is the way to go, or just buy a better amp, for your money..pups.
I just can't play with muddy or not good pickups. Im so used to my emg's when I get a new guitar thats the first thing I have to do to it. Some people say emg's aren't good with solid state practice amps but that isnt true. I can't use my guitar with passive pickups on my practice amp it just doesn't sound as good and I don't get the clarity that I do with my emg's. And of course they sound great on my tube amp too. Some people say it makes no difference if your amp is just a solid state practice amp but it does make a difference. A huge difference. If you got a muddy stock pickup and you got a modeling amp... its still gonna sound muddy. If you got a clear pickup.. its going to be clear. Amps and pickups are two different things but people here dont seem to think that.
wow, um im definitely getting contradicting advice haha.
to slats, i am planning on changing the speaker and pickups eventually.
so basically im wondering which one i should change first.
the reason im perplexed is this,
a) if i change my pickups, my sub-par speaker may not show just how great my new pickups are.
b) if i change my speaker, it may reveal to me even more just how inadequate my pickups are.

so any more advice that anyone is willing to give is appreciated. thanks

and ECisbest, im researching the speaker you recommended right now, thank you very much.
I wouldn't bother changing the speaker in the Hot Rod. I don't think it'll make a huge difference. I'd probably upgrade the guitar, and put the rest of my money aside to eventually upgrade from the HRD.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^so it's true you don't like HRDs.

i wouldn't keep it either. but if it were MIM strat and a Hot Rod, i'd keep the Hot Rod for the clean channel and when it starts breaking up. awesome for gigs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^so it's true you don't like HRDs.

I think they're decent. My opinion is probably higher than a lot of other folks on UG. I don't think the stock speaker is bad at all, and so I don't think changing it out will be that great an improvement. Also, I don't think you get your money back on mods like that.

That said, they are an entry level gigging amp. I'd save my money and get something better down the road.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^u can take out the speakers, leave it as is in a safe box with all the wires.

and then put in the new speakers, wire them up using new wire and plugs.

then ur safe when u need the warranty.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well over all im pretty darn happy with both the amp and the guitar. But i think its time to start improving everything. i will probably have a different guitar in a year or two, so with that in mind, speaker or pickups. also good pickups could be put into a new guitar when i get it.