Hey everyone,

I have been thinking of upgrading to a 5 or 6 string bass from my 4 string pretty soon. I have 2 basses in mind - the Ibanez SR505 and SR506 (5 and 6 strings respectively). These basses appeal to me because they just sound great in the recordings and videos I've seen them in (most notable would be Sean Andrews from Redemption, you can see a bunch of his Rush cover videos on youtube). I would pick up the 506 in a heartbeat if it wasn't for one nagging question: is there much of a difference in string space between these 2 basses? Or between any 5 and 6 string basses for that matter? I ask this because I have pretty stubby fingers, and upgrading to a 5 string is going to be tough as it is. But is there much of a difference between the 5 and 6 string basses? If it's not too much of a difference, I'll most likely be getting the 506.

Thanks in advance!
those two Ibanez's have thinner necks than most 5 or 6 stringers I think, being part of the Sr range, so the strings are a bit closer together

the 506 sounds great though, played one myself
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
those two Ibanez's have thinner necks than most 5 or 6 stringers I think, being part of the Sr range, so the strings are a bit closer together

I concur. For what you pay, they're great instruments. They definitely sound the part.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by skippy_moogoose

Do you think I'd have much of a problem with upgrading to the SR506 right from my 4 string then? I'm sure with enough practice, even someone with the stubbiest of fingers could adapt, but I don't want to get frustrated too much over it.
Quote by flapz
Do you think I'd have much of a problem with upgrading to the SR506 right from my 4 string then? I'm sure with enough practice, even someone with the stubbiest of fingers could adapt, but I don't want to get frustrated too much over it.

I think you'll love it, personally. It won't be as hard to adapt to as you think. It usually takes a week at MAX. I'm sure you'll love the bass, by the way
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll give the 506 a shot. I'm not one to give up too easily so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal.
Quote by flapz

It isn't about your fingers adapting but it is about you using the high C string. Figure out
if you need it, and then the answer will be simple. Also, you most likely are going to get pretty frustrated because all of the SR series have really thin necks. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it takes some time to adapt.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Get as many strings as you feel you need. When I used 4 stringers, I never really though about the G string being the highest I could go, only the E string being the lowest I could go. It is simply where you feel your range is lacking.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by flapz

well the thinner neck and closer strings will help with little fingers in the long run wont they? Not having to stretch so far and all that

erm, well it frustrated me at first, but after about an hour I'd stopped getting confused as to what string I was playing,I couldn't slap on it in the time I played it though (roughly 90 mins) but I have little hands and didn't play it long enough to get wholly comfortable

but put it this way, when I buy a 6 stringer (I will one day dammit) that'll be the one I'll get
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I probably won't be using C string as much as the B, but I just want them there so I have them available. Also I play Dream Theater a lot.
Quote by flapz
I probably won't be using C string as much as the B, but I just want them there so I have them available. Also I play Dream Theater a lot.

It can become an obstacle to your playing in the long run if you don't effectively adapt to
it and use it, but since you play dream theater and this kind of stuff, you will probably start using it. Anyway, be happy with your bass when you buy it.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!